According to Sipple...

If Martinez is the best QB that scares me. Yes, he would be suited to run a run heavy option game, but plenty of us question Wats' play calling in the offense he's been running for years and years, I don't know how successful we'll be with him calling a new offense.

Good point.

If TO was running the offense that's not a problem at all. But SW running a power/option offense?? Well......

Having three names mentioned for our starting QB and some love for all of them is something only homers would believe will bode well. We are likely in SERIOUS trouble at the QB position for the second year in a row. Last year was likely the low point of Big Red football on the O and the high point in a long while on D. We have the same cast back on O and lost huge on D. In spite of the love some rags give us; the truth is there are big problems. Some claim that Martinez is the answer with his legs. Unlikely at best that we put in a successful whole new offense in fall practice. Likely a disaster if we try.

Others say that our RBs will take the pressure off of Lee and he'll only throw a few times a game and that will make him more effective? So we're saying we have the same QB that is subpar and the same RBs we had last year and that this year we'll be better. Talk about doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. Helu has not proved to be a durable RB. If he is hampered; you are right back to where you were last year.

We have a huge QB problem and to believe otherwise is simply drinking koolaid now. I think with any of the top 20 QBs in the country we could be great. Without one of them, I can see a lot of disappointment. I hope I am wrong but 100 yards against Tejas will not get it done.

Though there are problems at reciever; one decent QB is what I believe will be our achilles heel.

The difference will be the line. And what a difference a line is. It takes a mediocre everything else and raises it.

If Martinez is the best QB that scares me. Yes, he would be suited to run a run heavy option game, but plenty of us question Wats' play calling in the offense he's been running for years and years, I don't know how successful we'll be with him calling a new offense.

Good point.

If TO was running the offense that's not a problem at all. But SW running a power/option offense?? Well......

Having three names mentioned for our starting QB and some love for all of them is something only homers would believe will bode well. We are likely in SERIOUS trouble at the QB position for the second year in a row. Last year was likely the low point of Big Red football on the O and the high point in a long while on D. We have the same cast back on O and lost huge on D. In spite of the love some rags give us; the truth is there are big problems. Some claim that Martinez is the answer with his legs. Unlikely at best that we put in a successful whole new offense in fall practice. Likely a disaster if we try.

Others say that our RBs will take the pressure off of Lee and he'll only throw a few times a game and that will make him more effective? So we're saying we have the same QB that is subpar and the same RBs we had last year and that this year we'll be better. Talk about doing the same thing and hoping for a different result. Helu has not proved to be a durable RB. If he is hampered; you are right back to where you were last year.

We have a huge QB problem and to believe otherwise is simply drinking koolaid now. I think with any of the top 20 QBs in the country we could be great. Without one of them, I can see a lot of disappointment. I hope I am wrong but 100 yards against Tejas will not get it done.

Though there are problems at reciever; one decent QB is what I believe will be our achilles heel.

imo the offensive line was the problem last season and you do know that Lee was injured the whole season as well right? this season we will have more depth on the oline including a couple guys that would have been in the 2 deep if they hadnt been injured as well as both the line and the qbs will have more experience. i would wager quite highly that you are going to be proven wrong...

Good point.

The difference will be the line. And what a difference a line is. It takes a mediocre everything else and raises it.

beat me to it. good call.

Wow, what a doom-and-gloom post! :)

Having a QB battle isn't a disaster. It can be, but it's not inherently so. Berringer gave Frazier a serious run for his money in 1994, as I recall. That seemed to turn out OK. In the summer of 1990 we had the three-headed battle between Mike Grant, Mickey Joseph and Keithen McCant, and that didn't turn out so well. QB battles aren't necessarily good or bad.

As x and B-rent mentioned, Tommie Frazier wouldn't make this team a winner without a solid O Line. If that line is back up to par, we'll be OK. If not... it won't matter who our QB is.

I look at it this way. Lee is more than likely the #1 due to experience. T-Mart can easily push for the #2. He is already the best runner of the 3 and if he can throw as good or better than Green (which cant be difficult) he probably has a lock on the #2 spot. Now if he developes into a good passer I dont see any reason he couldnt steal the #1.

One thing is for certain, competition is a good thing. If we have 3 guys battling for the starting spot, I am not going to think it is because we are terrible at that position. I think it is because we are deep at that position. :koolaid2:

T-Mart throw as good as Green??? Did you watch him throw at the spring game? I wasn't impressed at all...he has wheels but don't let that fact overplay you thought on his ability to throw...Green has his issues throwing but his pocket presences is good and he does have a cannon of an arm...

pocket presence and a "cannon" does not make a good passer and i would argue that his pocket presence is poor at best.

you can make excuses for the guy all day (freshman, 18 years old, difficult offense, etc.) but you can also point to the fact that he doesnt seem to be grasping things well and all of the rumors that he doesnt take the game seriously and is just interested in the ladies. this offense was more difficult to run when zac taylor came in and took over and he did just fine in his first year.

"but oh green looks the part!" so did josh freeman at kstate..

Freeman's not your best example, considering he started all three years, beat Texas a few times, and was a first round draft pick.

I would argue that pocket presence and arm strength are significantly important to being a passer. You could say arm strength isn't everything, but a lack of even college level arm strength is definitely a liability. Taylor came from a pro-style offense as a JUCO and was definitely an exception to the rule, so that isn't a fair comparison either. Green came from a really, really simple offensive system in HS and came in needing a lot of development. I don't know if those are really 'excuses'...

As for 'all the rumors', didn't that amount to one picture being posted on this board of him at a party? I don't think letting loose points to a lack of focus at all, and what of the (more common, IIRC) rumors that Taylor was an arrogant kid who was hated by his teammates? I guess the latter is something that's rumored to no longer be the case.

I really think we are all drinking some heavy stuff though if we look at this as an intense 3-way QB battle. There's competition for sure, but...Keller-Ganz, that was a QB battle. Lee-Witt, that would have been a QB battle. As another poster said right now, it's currently Lee-Lee's arm, and we are scrambling to try to get the guys behind him up to speed. Just my take.

Also on the lines, we can only hope for our OLs being better than last year. Hoping that they'll be good might be a bit much. Eh, what can I say, no faith in Barney from me :P But I see it more as a situation of talent being held back because of a line, than a line raising mediocre into good.

If Lee is out we'll be running the Wildcat and Zone Read about 90% of the time, and from what Martinez looked like in the Spring Game, he'll be seeing plenty of reps.

If Lee can't go I can't imagine Green not starting. He would have to have made zero progress since last season, and I just don't see that happening.

Wow, what a doom-and-gloom post! :)

Having a QB battle isn't a disaster. It can be, but it's not inherently so. Berringer gave Frazier a serious run for his money in 1994, as I recall. That seemed to turn out OK. In the summer of 1990 we had the three-headed battle between Mike Grant, Mickey Joseph and Keithen McCant, and that didn't turn out so well. QB battles aren't necessarily good or bad.

As x and B-rent mentioned, Tommie Frazier wouldn't make this team a winner without a solid O Line. If that line is back up to par, we'll be OK. If not... it won't matter who our QB is.

Back in '69 and into early '70 Van Bronsen and Jerry Tagge were neck and neck. Devaney and his OC (some guy named Osborne) couldn't decide who to play until Tagge finally took over. And the end result? Two national championships (including one over this one team from the state of Texas) I trust this coaching staff (for now). Even Watson after hearing that the Oline, QB, RBs were all hurting last year (leaving just the receivers healthy on offense).

I really think we are all drinking some heavy stuff though if we look at this as an intense 3-way QB battle. There's competition for sure, but...Keller-Ganz, that was a QB battle. Lee-Witt, that would have been a QB battle. As another poster said right now, it's currently Lee-Lee's arm, and we are scrambling to try to get the guys behind him up to speed. Just my take.

No, it wasn't. Keller was going to the QB, even if he graded out as the 5th best QB

If Lee is out we'll be running the Wildcat and Zone Read about 90% of the time, and from what Martinez looked like in the Spring Game, he'll be seeing plenty of reps.

If Lee can't go I can't imagine Green not starting. He would have to have made zero progress since last season, and I just don't see that happening.

Sip said the same thing on Big Red Wrap Up last night. Zac isn't as far along as we would have liked.

• Fire 1

You have to put your playmakers on the field. T. Mart. is a playmaker. If Lee is the QB that give the team the best chance to win he will start. Bo will not have the guy that gives the team the best chance to win siting on the bench. We all had to watch that in 2007. It won't happen again.

Sip said the same thing on Big Red Wrap Up last night. Zac isn't as far along as we would have liked.

I recorded BRWU, but I haven't watched it yet. So I get full props for not plagiarizing Sipple from the show. :lol:

I don't care which one of them is the starter as long as they play well and don't turn the ball over. IMO Green or Martinez is the future at the position but who knows, Carnes might surprise some people as well. It's a good problem to have I'd say having all this talent at the most important position in the game.