What's Scary About Western Kentucky?

The football season is getting closer. Now is the time when we at Big Red Network turn our attention to previewing Husker opponents for 2010. Though with the glut of pre-season magazines, web sites and TV prognosticators all offering their views on every team under the sun, well, these things can feel a bit forced or over done. So, for the previews this year, we tried to look at opponents as a fan might. Rather than regurgitating the lineups for Husker opponents we asked a pretty basic question...What's scary about them? We aimed a little closer to your guts than your heads to try and assess the fan fear factor for each Husker foe. For some, it's really high. For others, not so much. In the case of the Husker opener, I sort of drew the short straw. Western Kentucky is not scary. They might be one of the least scary teams in the FBS subdivision. But, they are rather interesting. And, there are some things about the actual game that could be scary for NU fans, weak challenger aside.

Brutal Honesty

There is nothing really "scary" about Western Kentucky's football team. In 2009, they were really, really bad. How bad? Well, how does 0-12 (0-8 in the Sun Belt) sound? Yeah, that bad. Statistically they were near the very bottom of the FBS subdivision in both points for and points against. So, they were equal-opportunity bad. They were "get your coach fired" bad.

David Elson's six seasons at WKU included developing a relatively successful program at the FCS level. However, the transition to the FBS that started in 2008 really proved to be too much. This year, Willie Taggart steps in to try and contain the couch fire.

On the upside for WKU fans, Taggart has the makings of a guy who could do well for himself there. He comes to them from Stanford, where he was the running backs coach. You might have heard of former Stanford standout Toby Gerhardt. Taggart was also on the offensive staff when WKU was in its FCS division heyday. So, he knows the program, the area and how to win there. It might bode well for the future. But, it still doesn't make them scary.

Interesting Stuff

There are a couple of fun items for the Western Kentucky match up. Husker recruit Brion Carnes was heavily wooed by WKU and nearly ended up there. I doubt very much that it will spark a controversy or create the "Brion Bowl." But it is noteworthy enough that you might expect to see a feature or two about it in the local fishwrap during game week.

The other item to care about in this game - the mascots. Western Kentucky is the Hilltoppers. There are maybe a handful or monikers less intimidating than "Cornhuskers" (Ooooh, a guy who picks corn!), but this is one of them. (I mean ... seriously?) But hey, their actual mascot is called Big Red. And, frankly, he's awesome. Come on...just look at this guy. He combines the likability of Herbie Husker with the creepiness of Lil Red. (Though, he has none of Harrietta Husker'sassets) I just want to hug him and then hope he doesn't smother me. I would pay very good money to see a "mascot war" break out at the Huskers' season opener.

Legit Concerns?

The only real fear or concern when they are playing a team of Western Kentucky's caliber (that being, one of the worst 20 teams in America) is how to properly assess and exceed expecations. For the Huskers, it really is all about them.

Do they play well enough to satisfy the percieved adequate margin of vicory? Do they cover the spead? What if the offense falters some? Does NU face questions about a lingering offensive problem? Worse still, what if NU scores in bunches and creates a bit of a false positive for the offense? Remember, NU racked up 49 points and 490 total yards in their opener against Florida Atlantic a year ago.

But, when the most concerning thought about an opponent is having a false postive from too many points scored or you are worried about covering the spread, then, yeah, there isn't anything too scary on the horizon.

I just wanna see those mascots duke it out.

LINK

weird_mascots_1.jpg

Their mascot is pretty scary!

Good call. I think I saw that thing in Monsters, Inc.

Honestly I don't think anyone in his right mind can say we're scared of any part of WKU. This is one of those games we totally demolish & demoralize the opponent, making them pay for ever making the trip to Lincoln in the 1st place. I want to see the kind of overwhelming win that puts the opponents on their asses to the point they don't recover til their 3rd or 4th game of the season. That's :power

weird_mascots_1.jpg

Their mascot is pretty scary!

Good call. I think I saw that thing in Monsters, Inc.

Honestly I don't think anyone in his right mind can say we're scared of any part of WKU. This is one of those games we totally demolish & demoralize the opponent, making them pay for ever making the trip to Lincoln in the 1st place. I want to see the kind of overwhelming win that puts the opponents on their asses to the point they don't recover til their 3rd or 4th game of the season. That's :power

Agreed.

Here are some very unscary things (unless you're a Hilltopper) about Western Kentucky..

They haven't won a game since they beat Murray State in Early 2008.

They haven't beaten a FBS opponet Since Early 2007.

That FBS opponet was the powerhouse of Middle Tennessee State.

Middle Tennessee State Represents WKU's ONLY win over an FBS opponet since joining the FBS Division in 2007.

I expect it will be VERY challenging to prevent an inflated score.

Whats scary is that Brion Carnes recruitment came down to WKU and NU. I believe the kid actually committed to them initially. I would really like to have been a fly on the wall when that decision conversation came around. NU....WKU....WKU....NU. Tough choice *sigh* glad we prevailed and saved Brion from a terrible decision.

I am sure Michigan was not afraid at all of Appalachian State as well....gotta prepare the same as you would against top teams. I am hoping that the starters can get some good rest and have some of the young guys in there.

Apples and skyscrapers, dude. Appy State was like a championship contender in their league. Michigan screwed the pooch big time, but WKU is the microbe on the gnat that NU is going to crush.

I am sure Michigan was not afraid at all of Appalachian State as well....gotta prepare the same as you would against top teams. I am hoping that the starters can get some good rest and have some of the young guys in there.

While WKU is no Appalachain State,(not even close) you are absolutely right. You have to prepare like you mean business for EVERY game.