Another player out

Bradr

Per HuskerExtra.com

Husker head coach Bo Pelini said tight end Dreu Young, who had underwent back surgery last year, has had another "flare-up" with the back that will keep him out for probably at least half the season maybe more.

"He's going to have surgery this week," Pelini said Saturday. "I don't know exactly what the timetable is. He won't be available for a while, and his status in coming back a little bit up in the air. It's kind of too early to tell ... but you won't see him out there until probably at least midseason if at all. It's going to take some time for that to play out medically. He wants to be out there in the worst way ... but obviously our No. 1 concern is Dreu and he understands that."

The senior from Cozad started nine games last year and has 15 career catches and one touchdown.

Pelini said the Huskers still have "a lot of options" personnel-wise. Ben Cotton and Kyler Reed both should see valuable snaps this year.

"We feel good about the position," Pelini said. "There is some talent at the position. Obviously, if we had Dreu we'd be better, but it's part of the deal, and like I said, our No. 1 concern isn't for the depth at tight end, it's to make sure Dreu is doing the right thing going forward."

Too bad Dreu. I thought with McNeill at receiver, Young shouldve seen alot of snaps this year.

Ben Cotton and Kyler Reed c'monnnn downnnnnnn

Oh man. Young had the best hands of any TE on the roster——now that McNeil lines up wide. I hope Cotton can catch. He had a couple of grabs against CU last year, I but I can’t recall any other receptions all year. At least he’s good sized for a TE, and should be a crushing blocker.

I really enjoy watching Young & IMO he's deserving of a starting gig. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a huge blow - I wouldn't expect to be considering how deep we are at TE. Even so, feel bad for the guy. Nature of the game though.

Four players is deep at TE? (Cotton, Reed, Hill & Long) I can't say that I agree with that outlook.

I suspect that the McNiell experiment at WR could be coming to an end if these injury problems don't subside.

I really enjoy watching Young & IMO he's deserving of a starting gig. Hope this doesn't turn out to be a huge blow - I wouldn't expect to be considering how deep we are at TE. Even so, feel bad for the guy. Nature of the game though.

Four players is deep at TE? (Cotton, Reed, Hill & Long) I can't say that I agree with that outlook.

I suspect that the McNiell experiment at WR could be coming to an end if these injury problems don't subside.

Considering we don't often use more than one, it is deep. McNeill will stay where he is.

Considering we don't often use more than one, it is deep. McNeill will stay where he is.

Go back and look and you will see that Nebraska has been using the 22 quite a bit the last few years. And yes I agree McNeill stays at WR, IF there aren't more injuries at TE.

Maybe we'll actually get to see Kyler Reed now?

I agree. I really would like to see his speed utilized more agaisnt LBs.

AMEN! I think it was last year's spring game when reed caught a ball and streaked down the sideline, running away from defenders. Ever since that one play, I've been dying to see him catch some balls in a meaningful minute of a game. I think in time he could be a great playmaker for NU, he outta be able to streak past most LBs

Go back and look and you will see that Nebraska has been using the 22 quite a bit the last few years. And yes I agree McNeill stays at WR, IF there aren't more injuries at TE.

I disagree and think McNiel will go back to tight. End. He was never fast as a WR and I think his best chance for a mismatch is as a TE.

I disagree and think McNiel will go back to tight. End. He was never fast as a WR and I think his best chance for a mismatch is as a TE.

No offense, dude, but unless there are multiple significant injuries at TE, it ain't happenin.

Oh man. Young had the best hands of any TE on the roster——now that McNeil lines up wide. I hope Cotton can catch. He had a couple of grabs against CU last year, I but I can’t recall any other receptions all year. At least he’s good sized for a TE, and should be a crushing blocker.

I think that Cotton will be a great TE for us this year and he can block really well. I wonder if they'll move Ryan Hill back to TE instead of the FB position now that Dreu is quite possibly done for the year?