MU tailback Derrick Washington suspended

Washington has now been charged with sexual assault, per ESPN. What's surprising to me is that Pinkel still named him one of the team captains in July AFTER this happened. Maybe he was just going on the assumption that he was innocent. But if that's the case, then why did Pinkel suspend him before he was charged? Strange stuff. I just hope justice is served, whether he's innocent or guilty.

Here's what AD Mike Alden said about the timing:

When an issue comes to our attention we work immediately to gather information, and we work with various outside entities in an ongoing process which takes time to unfold. We move as quickly and responsibly as is appropriate, and when we have enough information to reach a conclusion on disciplinary action, we take that action. That’s what we have done in this situation.

You wouldn't want to suspend on mere allegations, but when more details come to light, then action would seem warranted or not. Initially, is was an accusation, then the girl failed to show up for a hearing. I would have thought that meant 'probably not for real'. But when the police and prosecutors bring to light more details, than the suspension occurred. Either way, it seems like we've seen the last of Derrick.

Replacement will be sophomore Kendial Lawrence, who has shown much this summer. Behind him will likely be freshman Henry Josey or fellow freshman Marcus Murphy (until De'Vione Moore's ankle is healed.

Makes sense.

Mizzou Officials must have had some additional information then leading to his suspension prior to official charges being filed. Hate for that to happen to the kid, but you screwed up son...you screwed up.

Very unfortunate. Very reminiscent of the Lawrence Phillip issue.

Mizzou Officials must have had some additional information then leading to his suspension prior to official charges being filed. Hate for that to happen to the kid, but you screwed up son...you screwed up.

Yep. I hate to see any program go through stuff like this.

Yep. I hate to see any program go through stuff like this.

Speaking of programs, this whole tutor-player relationship seemed to work out much better for Darnell Jefferson in The Program. I guess real-life really isn't like the movies afterall.

So is "permanently suspended" the same as kicked off the team? If so, then this would be an unbelievable series of consequences for one terrible decision. Washington might go from being poised for a career year that will see him become a legit NFL prospect to being kicked off the team and maybe out of school.

Maybe he could play for the Omaha Nighthawks when his trial/sentence is over.

So is "permanently suspended" the same as kicked off the team? If so, then this would be an unbelievable series of consequences for one terrible decision. Washington might go from being poised for a career year that will see him become a legit NFL prospect to being kicked off the team and maybe out of school.

Guess this answers my question:

But the school has closed the door on Washington having an opportunity to return to the program.

link

yep university put out a release. Not too surprised. Its a bad deal all around regardless of guilt. Bad for him, his family, his close friends, the girl and her family & the team. But kinda like AR said, you are supposed to be a team leader, you are a capitan and one of only a handful of upperclassmen starters. You know better. A class 3 felony is pretty serious business.

Too bad, but GP has cut players from his program that cant/dont act the way they are supposed too. This just happens to be a big name and a pretty serious accusation.

Univeristy realease said it would not change his scholarship status should he remain/return to school. He just will no longer be welcome on the team