Best Guess on Texas kickoff time

I was really hoping for a night game. Bummer.

This isn't “official," but it's about as close as you can get concerning TV coverage of Big 12 football and kickoff times.

The Oct. 16 Texas at Nebraska game is on track to be televised on ABC at 2:30 p.m.

“That's the most likely scenario," a person with direct knowledge of the situation said Friday.

That deep into the season, the Big 12 television partners pick either 12 days or six days before a game, and slot them into morning, afternoon or evening windows. Those parameters will apply to Texas-Nebraska.

But here's why ABC at 2:30 p.m. looks like the spot:

• Many fans assumed the game would be played in prime time. But ABC is committed to showing NASCAR's Bank of America 500 in Charlotte, N.C., at 6:30 that night.

• There is no crossover ESPN evening window available to the Big 12 that night.

• ABC has very few 11 a.m. national windows this season, and it has given no notice that it would open such a spot on Oct. 16.

That leaves ABC with its 2:30 p.m. time slot with the first selection, and Texas-Nebraska is clearly the Oct. 16 game of the day.

Again, it's not official. Don't schedule your wedding around it. But 2:30 p.m. looks like the time.

– Lee Barfknecht

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100827/BIGRED/708279855#best-guess-2-30-kickoff-for-texas-nu

Not to nit pick since I'll be there but honestly I was really hoping for a night game on prime time and national coverage. A game like that should be on at prime time. It's their loss if they want to stick with the 2:30 kick off time. Pretty sure the ratings would be pretty good given the match up also. People are dumb.

We're leaving the conference, why would we get a prime time game at home?

That shouldn't have an affect on the T.V. scheduling.

Besides, given both of our teams are undefeated by this point, this game will have more hype than the Oklahoma/Texas game this year. Just think of all of the story lines for this game. There's the Red Out Around the World video, Nebraska leaving the Big 12, the one second title game, the general dislike towards Texas and the way the Big 12 was run, etc.

It's an injustice not having this game in primetime. Hell, if this game was in primetime, I wasn't a Husker fan, and the team I follow passionately was in the final minutes of their game, I would probably switch over and watch the Texas v. Nebraska game.

We're leaving the conference, why would we get a prime time game at home?

That shouldn't have an affect on the T.V. scheduling.

Besides, given both of our teams are undefeated by this point, this game will have more hype than the Oklahoma/Texas game this year. Just think of all of the story lines for this game. There's the Red Out Around the World video, Nebraska leaving the Big 12, the one second title game, the general dislike towards Texas and the way the Big 12 was run, etc.

It's an injustice not having this game in primetime. Hell, if this game was in primetime, I wasn't a Husker fan, and the team I follow passionately was in the final minutes of their game, I would probably switch over and watch the Texas v. Nebraska game.

I know it shouldn't, just making a point that everyone hates us now for leaving. <_<

Even though their numbers are down NASCAR is a lot bigger draw than what the Huskers/Whorns game will be. Nothing wrong with a 2:30 kick off. In fact it is better. Now after we kick their arses we'll have more hours to celebrate!!! Look on the bright side!!

I'd be interested to see which did better if they were both in primetime.

Still a chance for a night game. I'm hopeing I just got my ticket today and requested the entire weekend off from work.

Pretty sure ABC will not move NASCAR.....

That is another reason I don't like NASCAR. I never understood it. Its just cars driving in circles to me. But if your into that stuff i guess thats fine. Its just not for me. Another reason I like us going to the Big 10 every game will be on TV with the Big 10 Network

Even though their numbers are down NASCAR is a lot bigger draw than what the Huskers/Whorns game will be. Nothing wrong with a 2:30 kick off. In fact it is better. Now after we kick their arses we'll have more hours to celebrate!!! Look on the bright side!!

I'm well aware of this as well however as was mentioned before there apparently is no ESPN 'crossover window' that night either. I would have been just as happy being on ESPN in prime time. Most sports fans (and college football fans) I know have access to it.

Still a chance for a night game. I'm hopeing I just got my ticket today and requested the entire weekend off from work.

Pretty sure ABC will not move NASCAR.....

That is another reason I don't like NASCAR. I never understood it. Its just cars driving in circles to me. But if your into that stuff i guess thats fine. Its just not for me. Another reason I like us going to the Big 10 every game will be on TV with the Big 10 Network

I bet people who enjoy NASCAR can defend it almost as heavily as soccer fans defend soccer.

I'm with you though. However, I also realize it's a cultural thing. My entire family (for the most part) thinks NASCAR is "a waste of time", ergo we never watch it. Same reason I never watched soccer in my family: nobody likes it.

it doesn't bother me too much that it is 230pm, especially since i'll be there. plenty of time to tailgate, have a few beers, soak in the atmosphere, but not too late we can still drive home that nite...if it was primetime, there would be so many more commercials and stuff. plus, it could have been at 11am..that woulda sucked

although the actual game atmosphere is generally better at nite.