Will the Big 10 become the New SEC?

typ3kal

I still think the whole SEC speed thing is overrated. You need a balance of size, strenght and speed. I think many of the SEC teams are undersized on the defensive side of the ball.

Personally, I think it begins with the O-line. Look at the Neb teams of the 90s. They manhandled a speedy Fl team as well as Tenn. I have seen some B10 teams outmuscle some SEC teams over the years (PSU over Auburn 1996, Wisc over Auburn 2005ish, Wisc over Miami 2009, Mich over Fl 2007, etc).

You get a lead on them in the 4th quarter and the game is over because you can have long sustained drives with your o-line pushing them around.

I still think the whole SEC speed thing is overrated. You need a balance of size, strenght and speed. I think many of the SEC teams are undersized on the defensive side of the ball.

Disagree. SEC, for the most part has a great balance of size, speed, and strength. I, for one, hate the SEC, but they know how to play football. Half of the BCS National Champions were from the SEC, including the last 4, and they've matched up with different styles including the Pro Style of Ohio State and the Spread of Texas & Oklahoma. As much as I hate to admit it, the SEC owns college football right now. Part of that reason is because lackluster academic standards and poor discipline, but that's another conversation.

Disagree. SEC, for the most part has a great balance of size, speed, and strength. I, for one, hate the SEC, but they know how to play football. Half of the BCS National Champions were from the SEC, including the last 4, and they've matched up with different styles including the Pro Style of Ohio State and the Spread of Texas & Oklahoma. As much as I hate to admit it, the SEC owns college football right now. Part of that reason is because lackluster academic standards and poor discipline, but that's another conversation.

a paradigmatic shift is on the horizon.

I think it will be very tough for a one loss Big 10 team to get into the final show over the Texas/OU winner because it is most likely whoever wins that game will be undefeated.

As far as I know, the SoS of a B10 team that must beat 4 top 20 teams + the average strength of the other B10 teams would get the bid over the little10 who would have 1 top 20 opponent at most 2. For once I'm liking the BCS computers.. Here's to texas getting jobbed :lol

So, there's no chance Mizzou; A&M; KState; Texas Tech; or Okie State is ever ranked? Considering KU got into a BCS Bowl a few years ago with almost the worst SOS that year, I wouldn't hold my breath on the BCS computers.

This is silly. I understand that you love and value your team. But how can a conference that was at best 3rd overall, now is the best because they added NE?? Historically...yeah, i'd agree. But your not talking historically. Your adding a team that has won 2 division titles & 0 conference titles in the past 10 years. Your adding a team that has not appeared in a BCS game in 9 years and a team that has failed to beat a top 20 program over that same time period. That does not make the big 10 some magical powerhouse.

I respect NE. I respect your history and I believe the team you field this year has a chance to snap all those above statements. But come on....

Also I like that you have to "slug" through 5-7 Mich., 6-7 Minn., 6-7 Mich St., 5-7 Purdue, 3-9 Ill. & 4-8 Ind. Wow...what a gantlet. Much more diffecult that those "nearly guaranteed wins" in the big12. Also if I may, I would advise not throwing your old confernce brothers under the bus as nearly guaranteed, when you are 1-9 in your last 10 against those same teams. That is pretty much a guaranteed win also...

Respect your love for your team, but lets prove something before we go crazy with speculation

• Fire 1

I think it will be very tough for a one loss Big 10 team to get into the final show over the Texas/OU winner because it is most likely whoever wins that game will be undefeated.

As far as I know, the SoS of a B10 team that must beat 4 top 20 teams + the average strength of the other B10 teams would get the bid over the little10 who would have 1 top 20 opponent at most 2. For once I'm liking the BCS computers.. Here's to texas getting jobbed :lol

So, there's no chance Mizzou; A&M; KState; Texas Tech; or Okie State is ever ranked? Considering KU got into a BCS Bowl a few years ago with almost the worst SOS that year, I wouldn't hold my breath on the BCS computers.

I said at most 2, I don't see it likely that in 1 year the Big 12 having more than one of (Mizzou; A&M; KState; Texas Tech; or Okie State ranked.)

I said at most 2, I don't see it likely that in 1 year the Big 12 having more than one of (Mizzou; A&M; KState; Texas Tech; or Okie State ranked.)

if i remember correctly in 2007 & 2008 MU, TT and OSU were all ranked during the season. I know for sure that in 07 a ranked MU played a ranked TT and in 08 a ranked MU played a ranked OSU. Infact if memory serves me correct in 2008 5 teams in the big 12 were ranked at the same time. OU, TX, MU, TT & OSU.

I dont at all think its not possible for there to be more than 3 ranked teams in the big twelve after NE leaves. Recent history has 3 other teams outside of the big 12 top 2 ranked at the same time. so I would say its very possible

if i remember correctly in 2007 & 2008 MU, TT and OSU were all ranked during the season. I know for sure that in 07 a ranked MU played a ranked TT and in 08 a ranked MU played a ranked OSU. Infact if memory serves me correct in 2008 5 teams in the big 12 were ranked at the same time. OU, TX, MU, TT & OSU.

I dont at all think its not possible for there to be more than 3 ranked teams in the big twelve after NE leaves. Recent history has 3 other teams outside of the big 12 ranked at the same time. so I would say its very possible

Yep, that's right. And for a short while in 2008 the B12 had five top 20 teams: OU, UT, TT, OkSt, and Mizzou. NU wasn't anyplace close to a ranking at that time. But I think we knocked KU out of the top 20 just before that.

I hate it when Fro makes good points. Only probation could slow down OU and UT, so the Big 12 will remain a strong conference. Tech, OSU, and MU have some short term problems, but should recover.

A 1 loss team playing NU's 2011 and 2012 schedule over a undefeated big 12 team, it would be close. Sorry for all the Big 10 love here on HB Fro.

This is silly. I understand that you love and value your team. But how can a conference that was at best 3rd overall, now is the best because they added NE?? Historically...yeah, i'd agree. But your not talking historically. Your adding a team that has won 2 division titles & 0 conference titles in the past 10 years. Your adding a team that has not appeared in a BCS game in 9 years and a team that has failed to beat a top 20 program over that same time period. That does not make the big 10 some magical powerhouse.

I respect NE. I respect your history and I believe the team you field this year has a chance to snap all those above statements. But come on....

Also I like that you have to "slug" through 5-7 Mich., 6-7 Minn., 6-7 Mich St., 5-7 Purdue, 3-9 Ill. & 4-8 Ind. Wow...what a gantlet. Much more diffecult that those "nearly guaranteed wins" in the big12. Also if I may, I would advise not throwing your old confernce brothers under the bus as nearly guaranteed, when you are 1-9 in your last 10 against those same teams. That is pretty much a guaranteed win also...

Respect your love for your team, but lets prove something before we go crazy with speculation

Lets not forget Fro October and november also include Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Hardly weak teams. How do you think Mizzou would do on that schedule?

Lets not forget Fro October and november also include Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. Hardly weak teams. How do you think Mizzou would do on that schedule?

i dont think its much different than having to play texas, OU, TT, OSU or MU most years.

Its hard to say how they would do with that schedule seeing as though they havent played any of those teams lately (OSU being the last and that was when Corby Jones was still the QB at MU) I dont know. I do know that in 07 we dominated the big10's rose bowl team. Truth is intill you line up to play those teams you have no clue how tough they are. The might sound tough. But for all we know NE could roll them. THe big10 is not considered weak because of their bottom feeders. They are considered weak because of what they do out of conference and against other really good/elite teams.

I hate it when Fro makes good points. Only probation could slow down OU and UT, so the Big 12 will remain a strong conference. Tech, OSU, and MU have some short term problems, but should recover.

A 1 loss team playing NU's 2011 and 2012 schedule over a undefeated big 12 team, it would be close. Sorry for all the Big 10 love here on HB Fro.

no need to apoligize. I think NE makes the Big10 better, how much better is still an unknown. and besides, its your new conference and your board. I have no problems with the big10 being a topic :thumbs

For the Missouri poster, part of the reason the Big 10/12 is going to be so much better after adding Nebraska is that the conference as a whole is on an upswing. For 3-4 years, we were behind the SEC, Big XII, and maybe even Pac 10. We had several programs in down cycles - PSU, MSU, Purdue, NW, Mich, and even UW. Proof of where the conference was as a whole is that Illinois was our Rose Bowl rep one year.

Now, PSU is gaining momentum, as is MSU, & NW. UW & Iowa are in position to play in BCS games.

Minn, Ill, Indiana are still down, and Mich is still fighting to regain some pride. I really don't see the bottom 1/3rd of the conference as much different than the SEC, Big XII, Pac 10, or ACC. Each has their doormats.

For the Missouri poster, part of the reason the Big 10/12 is going to be so much better after adding Nebraska is that the conference as a whole is on an upswing. For 3-4 years, we were behind the SEC, Big XII, and maybe even Pac 10. We had several programs in down cycles - PSU, MSU, Purdue, NW, Mich, and even UW. Proof of where the conference was as a whole is that Illinois was our Rose Bowl rep one year.

Now, PSU is gaining momentum, as is MSU, & NW. UW & Iowa are in position to play in BCS games.

Minn, Ill, Indiana are still down, and Mich is still fighting to regain some pride. I really don't see the bottom 1/3rd of the conference as much different than the SEC, Big XII, Pac 10, or ACC. Each has their doormats.

the big 12 will be a two team conference from now until eternity, and by eternity i mean the two years until the conference implodes. i am hoping it does not implode because i do not like the idea of super-conferences and i am excited to see the big 12 become OU, TU, and the 8 dwarfs (no offense to any dwarf posters on this board). the big 10 is on an upswing, as is nebraska. it is really good timing for everyone.