Our Newest Rival

Iowa fans are great....

I wish I could say that is the only place like that in the Big Ten, unfortunately, it's not. PSU and tOSU are both far worse. NU fans may get an out at tOSU simply b/c we will be too stupid to realize your red jerseys don't have the name Griffin on the back of the 45 you are wearing. PSU, you are screwed, sorry. It is an awful place for visiting fans.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could say that is the only place like that in the Big Ten, unfortunately, it's not. PSU and tOSU are both far worse. NU fans may get an out at tOSU simply b/c we will be too stupid to realize your red jerseys don't have the name Griffin on the back of the 45 you are wearing. PSU, you are screwed, sorry. It is an awful place for visiting fans.

I hear many more positive comments about visitor treatment at tOSU games than I do negative. Way to color the fanbase ignorant and disrespectful though. :thumbsup:

It's all a matter of perspective. To some Nebraska fans, KState fans are the worst. To other Nebraska fans, Mizzou fans are the worst. While other Nebraska fans insist that CU fans are the worst. In due time, this rivalry with Iowa will become messy just like it has with CU; Mizzou; KState; or whoever. If we would happen to win the NC this year, we'll be starting in the Big 10 with a huge bullseye on our backs. Being the new kids, we'll probably start in the Big 10 with a big bullseye anyway. If fans go to the Iowa game looking for trouble, I have no doubt they'll be able to find it.

It's all a matter of perspective. To some Nebraska fans, KState fans are the worst. To other Nebraska fans, Mizzou fans are the worst. While other Nebraska fans insist that CU fans are the worst. In due time, this rivalry with Iowa will become messy just like it has with CU; Mizzou; KState; or whoever. If we would happen to win the NC this year, we'll be starting in the Big 10 with a huge bullseye on our backs. Being the new kids, we'll probably start in the Big 10 with a big bullseye anyway. If fans go to the Iowa game looking for trouble, I have no doubt they'll be able to find it.

No kidding we start with a Huge bulls-eye, Ohio,Badgers,Iowa,NW,Michigan,PSU,MSU. Five are ranked in the top 25 :throwdabones1:

I hear many more positive comments about visitor treatment at tOSU games than I do negative. Way to color the fanbase ignorant and disrespectful though. :thumbsup:

Relax dude, I am poking fun at my alma mater. A little self deprecation never hurt anyone.

As an Iowa fan, I can't help but shake my head at some of these cheap shots taken at my team. Yeah, some of you guys do have a point - there's no confusing Iowa with Nebraska as a football powerhouse. I know I'm not the only one that would be elated to win 50% of our games against Big Red (heck, I can even live with 60/40 in NU's favor). But I do take a little offense to those who think that Iowa is an unworthy rival and will be an annual punching bag - the last 2 beatdowns we received from the Huskers were also 2 of the worst Iowa teams in recent memory (winning a measly 4 games in those 2 years combined). No, I don't expect Iowa to win every game against NU but I do expect to at least be competitive.

I also really hope that there isn't the bad blood like there is between CU and NU. I'd like to think both of our fanbases are above that and while we may not always like each other, I do think that at the end of the day there will at least be some respect for the other ballclub.

I can see this Iowa / Nebraska thing getting bad. I can see the past years of hate and ( I really dont want to say this) jealousy spewing out of hawkeye nation. For whatever reason, be it our fanbase close to the border, our great success in the past, or our ability to get good recruts in a even less appealing area. The hawkeye hate is spewing forth. I cant tell you how many snarls i get a day from the hawkeye nation when i wear my big red gear. Though there are lots of husker fans in this state also. I predict this will be about the same as colorado or worse. Probally will need to remove most of my husker stuff from my cars ro avoid vandalism. Take my flag down so my stuff doesnt get vandalized. I was wondering if this was going to be a somewhat interesting rivalry but i see it becoming something bad entirely. Either way its a lose for nebraska fans in iowa. We win, our sh#t is in jepordy, if we lose we will never hear the end of it until wrestling season starts.

This is your second post of the day (or so) about being hated. Me thinks you enjoy being hated.

IMO, they are EXACTLY like CU, minus the (cough-cough) MNC.

Iowa won the 1958 MNC.

They hate us because we are what they want to be

No. I think they are very pleased with how their program has developed over the last decade or so. At the moment, Iowa is a superior team to Nebraska. They are just really anxious to compete against Nebraska in the Big Ten, and think that they should probably get all their trash talking in quick before Nebraska rebounds. There isn't any "hate" yet. I believe there is a lot of rabble-rousing going on both sides because of the imminence of the upcoming competition and geographic proximity, but I think both sides are really too quick to label each other. Iowa is a vastly different culture from the yuppies in Colorado, and if you really wanted to, you could see this as a respectful-but-heated rivalry, but from what I have seen on Huskerboard, Nebraska's Big 12 habit is to adopt a policy of unregulated hatred of everyone covered by a veil of sanctimony. From what I see, you guys really want them to hate you. It makes you feel good.

to the bold, no they actually did not. #1 LSU beat #12 clemson 7-0 to win the AP national title in 1958. thats what counts and thats who won it.

to the bold, no they actually did not. #1 LSU beat #12 clemson 7-0 to win the AP national title in 1958. thats what counts and thats who won it.

To your bold, this is not correct. There are a number of different organizations that are recognized for National Championships.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/index.php

The following selectors are utilized for determining National Championships throughout this site. In general this site will also use what the schools claim prior to 1936 and most of what the schools claim from 1936-current.

1869-1935 National Championship Foundation

1883-1935 Helms Athletic Foundation

1919-1935 College Football Researches Association

1936-Current Associated Press Poll

1950-Current Coaches Poll

1954-Current Football Writers Association of America

1959-Current National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame

1998-Current Bowl Championship Series

With regards to the FWAA,

The Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) is one of the organizations whose College Football All-America Team is recognized by the NCAA. The organization also selects the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, the Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner, the Outland Trophy winner, the Grantland Rice Award winner, a freshman All-America team, and weekly defensive player of the week, as well as developing scholarship programs and surveys for better working conditions. Since 1954, the association has awarded the Grantland Rice Trophy to the college football team they choose to be the National Champion.

For you to dismiss the FWAA Grantland Rice Award is to also question the others. This would affect awards by 'Huskers throughout the years.

To your bold, this is not correct. There are a number of different organizations that are recognized for National Championships.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/national_championships/index.php

The following selectors are utilized for determining National Championships throughout this site. In general this site will also use what the schools claim prior to 1936 and most of what the schools claim from 1936-current.

1869-1935 National Championship Foundation

1883-1935 Helms Athletic Foundation

1919-1935 College Football Researches Association

1936-Current Associated Press Poll

1950-Current Coaches Poll

1954-Current Football Writers Association of America

1959-Current National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame

1998-Current Bowl Championship Series

With regards to the FWAA,

The Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) is one of the organizations whose College Football All-America Team is recognized by the NCAA. The organization also selects the Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, the Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner, the Outland Trophy winner, the Grantland Rice Award winner, a freshman All-America team, and weekly defensive player of the week, as well as developing scholarship programs and surveys for better working conditions. Since 1954, the association has awarded the Grantland Rice Trophy to the college football team they choose to be the National Champion.

For you to dismiss the FWAA Grantland Rice Award is to also question the others. This would affect awards by 'Huskers throughout the years.

actually no. that was not and is not the majority basis for determining who the national champion was. not then and not now. The AP national title was the major determining poll for the national championship and that is as simple as it is. I should also add that I lived in Iowa for about 5 years and 99% of Iowa fans also agree that they have never won a national championship.

and for the record, no Nebraskas national championships would not change because of some website. NU has 5 national titles, not 4 and not 6 (yet).

that website shows all various publications, that does not make them so.

actually no. that was not and is not the majority basis for determining who the national champion was. not then and not now. The AP national title was the major determining poll for the national

championship and that is as simple as it is.

The AP is not the only recognized national championship organization. That was the reason why I showed the plethora of others that have been credited as valid throughout time.

and for the record' date=' no Nebraskas national championships would not change because of some website. NU has 5 national titles, not 4 and not 6 (yet). [/quote']

That's not what I said. I said "For you to dismiss the FWAA Grantland Rice Award is to also question the others.", and to clarify what I mean by that is the "others" as in Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, the Bronko Nagurski Trophy winner, the Outland Trophy winner, and a freshman All-America team. There have been 'Huskers nominated and awarded as winners of these awards.

that website shows all various publications' date=' that does not make them so.

[/quote']

It's nice of you to think so, but the NCAA recognizes a number of organizations who award National Championships.

Here's a link to where the NCAA recognizes Iowa's 1958 National Championship.