Will Compton suffers foot injury

Nexus

Carl Pelini won't lower expectations for linebackers

Even after losing two potential starters before reaching the first game, Nebraska defensive coordinator Carl Pelini said he still expects the same things from the Husker linebacker corps heading into the season.

“I promise you that there’s plenty of ability in that room left,” Pelini said Friday at the first Big Red Breakfast. “We have very high expectations for them and we will not lower our standards just because we’ve had a couple injuries.

“I’m very certain our guys will respond to that challenge and have tremendous football seasons.”

NU head coach Bo Pelini announced Thursday night that Will Compton had suffered a foot injury in practice and would be out indefinitely. The Huskers two weeks ago lost Sean Fisher for the season because of a broken leg.

Carl Pelini said he felt bad for both sophomores, but said opportunities now arise for others such as Lavonte David, Eric Martin, Mathew May, Alonzo Whaley, Thomas Grove and Graham Stoddard.

“You lose two guys with the ability and experience of Sean Fisher and Will Compton …. two years ago that would have just been absolutely devastating to our football team,” Pelini said. “It’ll affect us, I promise you that. I mean, it hurts. And yet at the same time these other guys just have to step up. They have the ability to do it, and the pressure’s on them now.”

Not sure if this has been posted. Carl Pelini said at The Big Red Breakfast that he expects David and Whaley to start.

link

Most newsworthy, Pelini said he believes Lavonte David and Alonzo Whaley will start tomorrow at linebacker now that Will Compton is out with a foot injury. He added that Eric Martin would likely receive significant playing time, with Mathew May and Thomas Grove also probably seeing some snaps.

Who knows until we see them on the field. But you get the impression ... the way those two are build up ... that Martin and David are the most talented together since Farely and the other Williams in 1995-1996? I remember those two eating up Florida's "Fun 'n Gun offense." But for depth purposes and experience, you still would like to have Fisher, and hopefully Compton isn't out for too long.

Are we talented at LB? Yes. Speed? No problem. Can our LBs tackle? Most definitely. Getting our front 7 in the right scheme and gap assignments? Very concerned! Picking up a running back running up the seam on a pass? These are my worries. These types of busts usually results in scores for the other team. Hopefully our D-Line is good enough to hide our inexperience at LB for the first few games.

Oh and sorry, I'm new and been lurking for a while now. live in KC area (yes, prayers are needed). Cool boards you got here. Thanks for letting me be among you.

Am I the only one who thinks that we're really deep at the LB position. I know Compton is out for who knows how long and Fisher is done for the season but I am very confident that Whaley, David, Martin, Kreikemeier, May will step up and fill that spot and play at a high level.

Don't be surprise to see them move Hagg in there for his speed

From what I understood of the Peso, Hagg is already going to play a hybrid LB position......

From my understand, Kreikemeier is hurt also. This is definitely a concern.

Wouldn't surprise me if there is a medical hardship schollie in Kreik's future, he's had a rough road.

Martin and David are obviously studs but it worries me that they don't have the system down. Hope Martin is studying night and day since he'd be the one quarterbacking the front-7. Wouldn't surprise me to see May coming in at Mike for the passing-downs.