Assessment

I agree, we need to work on alot of things, but overall it was a pretty impressive performance for the first game of the season. Martinez was very impressive for a true freshman, Cody played well, and Niles is still a stud.

Ehh...he made a couple of stupid plays. The biggest problem I seen with the ball carriers was the way they carried it. Those guys need to tuck the ball in tighter.

I'm a T-Mart fan. He looked better than I expected being a redshirt freshman. Overall, sloppiness all around on both sides of the ball. But a W is a W. :bigredn:

Perhaps the best news today is that Taylor Martinez is our QB. That he will play a great deal this season means that NU will be far more competitive when they enter the Big 10 next year --- having an experienced and returning QB makes a great deal of difference --- in a good way.

I feel for Zac Lee --- but having the young guy play is great --- he apparantly beat out the others and he looked pretty good today. That is great.

The overall sloppiness on both sides of the ball and the penalties looked bad. But they'll get that worked out you would think. They will need to make huge strides --- on both sides of the ball the next two weeks before the Washington trip --- today was a somewhat shaky start against a horrible team --- so... it should be interesting.

Sounds like Taylor has a remarkable ability to break open the game with his feet. Hopefully this will translate to bigger opponents.

On the other hand, sounds like he has some room to improve on his decision-making. Not unexpected. He's going to have to improve and at the same time get more of the passing playbook opened up at the same time.

Bo on the offense in the postgame: We try to be really multiple, we try to attack the defense. Thank you!

Sounds like Taylor has a remarkable ability to break open the game with his feet. Hopefully this will translate to bigger opponents.

On the other hand, sounds like he has some room to improve on his decision-making. Not unexpected. He's going to have to improve and at the same time get more of the passing playbook opened up at the same time.

He's fast and agile! He made a couple of cuts that left defenders flat footed. And he definitely puts some mustard behind the ball. But this kid is going to be remarkable and if he keeps it up. Thoughts of Crouch kept coming back me during the game.

Accidentally put this in another thread.

I didn't think Tmart would start, or should start but I can see why he is. He brings something the others don't. I can still see this offense struggling some against B12 competition.

Kinnie looks like he'll have a great year. Burkhead too.

Losing Fischer and Compton hurt. I think David would've beat one of them out by the time conference play started (if not before) but Whaley was lost out there a lot. Good news is, he'll only get better.

He's fast and agile! He made a couple of cuts that left defenders flat footed. And he definitely puts some mustard behind the ball. But this kid is going to be remarkable and if he keeps it up. Thoughts of Crouch kept coming back me during the game.

Me too. The guy is pure electric on the field.

I again noticed that Paul does something boneheaded and can't pull his head out of his hind quarters for a series or 2. He needs to shake it off and get back in the game.

The defense will be worked hard this week to shore up the run stopping. It's a first game so i'm sure the defense will be fixed this week.

TMart has gained some confidence now, let's see how that pans out in the coming weeks. We'll know exactly what kind of QB is when there is some adversity put in front of him. I think he's going to be a great one none the less.

Just my .02

They looked a lot better after 1 game than they did last year--especially on D, if you can believe that. What I saw today were mental lapses and a lazy defensive attitude due to the team we were playing, but on the upside I saw the same ability as the team that throttled Arizona in the bowl. Did you notice that Bo wasn't blowing a gasket tonight? That should say something, yes?

I really think that the D is going to step up with the quality of our competition. Baker really looked good. I'll bet Dean is proud of him. As for the kid .....he showed a lot of poise (and moves) for a freshman qb. Keep in mind that Frazier, as great as he turned out to be, didn't show that kind of poise in his first outing.

As I said earlier, for the first time in a decade, I don't feel too nervous about this team. They're going to shape up nicely after Bo gives them the whip.