A little patience for Taylor Martinez

zoogs

I guess we should have patience too if we don't make the Big 12 championship this year? or we should have patience if we lose to Texas? or we should have patience if we don't make it to a BCS bowl game?

I don't know about all of you, but i had high expectations this year, and im not backing down from those expectations just because a highly touted redshirt freshman can't take us there this year.

Please don't blow it out of proportion. The patience comes from a redshirt freshman QB. Realize, the kid had never set foot in a college football game until starting for the #7 team in the nation. He has proved to be extremely electric with his feet. We have to give him the time to learn the position though. You don't just get it by running out there day one and getting it right away. He will grow as a passer. The play book will begin to open up for him as he does. He still has a long ways to go as a passer, but obviously his ability to change the game with his feet outweighs what he can't do yet with his arm. This was only the second game of the year. Give him time, that's all he is saying, and I completely agree.

I am disappointed, but not too surprised to see Shawn Watson being once again thrown under the bus after a flashy, 471 yard performance with 360 yards on the ground.

But we won't want to see flashiness and yards, we want to see points!

No. We wanted to see Taylor Martinez make electric plays with his feet and dazzle us with some old school Nebraska quarterbacking style. Check. We wanted to see a commitment to the run game instead of being a finessy pass team. Double check. We wanted to build for the future with an exciting freshman at quarterback. Check and mate.

This is exactly what we have got. Through two games, Taylor has been nothing short of magic with his expert ball fakes and ridiculous running. We had an amazing athlete with Crouch, but Taylor has been averaging something like 15 yards a CARRY. I don't know how you could ask for a better rushing performance than what he has delivered for us at the QB position in two games. 4 touchdowns, approaching 300 yards rushing on what, 21 carries? Phenomenal.

On the other hand, he has struggled through the air. He was pedestrian, although fine, against Western Kentucky. Today, he averaged 6.2 yards per attempt. I'm excusing the pick completely because that is the kind of play that he can easily fix if he just pulls it down and takes the sack next time. We haven't seen him stand tall in the pocket, zone into a pass and just make an awful read that results in a pick, yet. Still, 6.2 yards per attempt is an alarming number given the opponent we faced.

But, he is a freshman. Everyone always said his passing was raw and he had a ways to go in that area. Are we acting surprised now that this turns out to be true? We got precisely what we, and Bo, wanted. An electric running quarterback, passing element be damned, because if defenses key in to take Taylor out, we end up with so many different ways to attack. A guy that is cocky and plays with intensity. A guy that is young and will make freshman mistakes.

This is the bed we asked for. It's the one that we have to live with this year. Taylor has a long ways to go, but he can make progress and we could still win a lot of games this year. I'm :facepalm: at anyone that wants to go and blame Shawn Watson for the ineffectiveness we saw today.

In fact, I think this is one of the best possible outcomes for Taylor that we could have asked for today. The last thing I wanted to see was another game where he dominated in all facets and led us to a blowout victory. He is going to face real adversity and be hit in the mouth and struggle with inconsistency at some point this season. The fact that he is taking those lumps right now, as opposed to against Kansas State or Texas, will have a positive result.

Heading into next week, it's going to be a hostile environment on the road with Washington and it is gonna be a battle. Nothing different from what was expected at the beginning of the season.

you should get a job covering the huskers. This is all truth. We cannot expect perfection from this kid. We didn't get that from Crouch at times, Tebow in his first year at Florida struggled at times as well.

The kid will come along. The blame goes too the O-line and receiving corps. They need too cut the crap and get their heads in the game. They were very undisciplined today.

I guess we should have patience too if we don't make the Big 12 championship this year? or we should have patience if we lose to Texas? or we should have patience if we don't make it to a BCS bowl game?

I don't know about all of you, but i had high expectations this year, and im not backing down from those expectations just because a highly touted redshirt freshman can't take us there this year.

If we don't make the Big 12 championship, then I hope people have the sense to question the untouchable Bo Pelini for what would have turned out to be a really questionable call. That is what's at stake here. We hooked the wagon to Taylor, and we are gonna ride it.

But we're 2-0 yet and there is no reason to expect that scenario so far. Some tempered expectations are in order though. Taylor was always going to take his lumps.

Why in the world is starting Tmart a "questionable call"?

Like Z. Lee was mistake free and moved the ball at will last year?? Hey zoogies, my good friend....NU's offense BLEW CHUNKS last year. At the very least now we have a qb who can torch anybody at anytime with his feet. I don't remember any opponent shaking in their boots due to facing Lee last year whatsoever. Not......at......all.

I'm sure Lee will save our bacon sometime this year with his experience and he's a tough kid but to gloss over Tmarts outrageous upside is just silly. But yeah, he did make some bad decisions today. I agree with that. But he was hardly the Lone Ranger.

Starting Tmart this year is one of the few SW decisions (if it was his) I'm on board with. Kudos to him!

I'm not throwing watson under the bus, but I will point out that Bo gives the offense to Watson.

You just don't see the clips, drops, false starts, fumbles, etc, etc...from teams who are playing at a high level. Watson needs to get these guys ZONED IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said that if we fail to make the Big 12 CCG, it would be a call that rightly deserves a lot of questioning. If you are basing anything on Taylor's performance in these two games, you may want to refer to Lee's pretty unreal torch-at-will Sunbelt tour last year. Highlight performance: 2nd game, Ark St, 27/35, 340 yards, 4 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. Keep in mind we are at the same point in the season.

Even now, I would say we are all in wait and see mode, but remember, I am preaching patience for it to work out in this thread ;) I am pointing out that Taylor struggled, but it's going to be okay.

The kid will come along. The blame goes too the O-line and receiving corps. They need too cut the crap and get their heads in the game. They were very undisciplined today.

Indeed, OL & WR as culprits seem to be recurring themes...

I am disappointed, but not too surprised to see Shawn Watson being once again thrown under the bus after a flashy, 471 yard performance with 360 yards on the ground.

But we won't want to see flashiness and yards, we want to see points!

No. We wanted to see Taylor Martinez make electric plays with his feet and dazzle us with some old school Nebraska quarterbacking style. Check. We wanted to see a commitment to the run game instead of being a finessy pass team. Double check. We wanted to build for the future with an exciting freshman at quarterback. Check and mate.

This is exactly what we have got. Through two games, Taylor has been nothing short of magic with his expert ball fakes and ridiculous running. We had an amazing athlete with Crouch, but Taylor has been averaging something like 15 yards a CARRY. I don't know how you could ask for a better rushing performance than what he has delivered for us at the QB position in two games. 4 touchdowns, approaching 300 yards rushing on what, 21 carries? Phenomenal.

On the other hand, he has struggled through the air. He was pedestrian, although fine, against Western Kentucky. Today, he averaged 6.2 yards per attempt. I'm excusing the pick completely because that is the kind of play that he can easily fix if he just pulls it down and takes the sack next time. We haven't seen him stand tall in the pocket, zone into a pass and just make an awful read that results in a pick, yet. Still, 6.2 yards per attempt is an alarming number given the opponent we faced.

But, he is a freshman. Everyone always said his passing was raw and he had a ways to go in that area. Are we acting surprised now that this turns out to be true? We got precisely what we, and Bo, wanted. An electric running quarterback, passing element be damned, because if defenses key in to take Taylor out, we end up with so many different ways to attack. A guy that is cocky and plays with intensity. A guy that is young and will make freshman mistakes.

This is the bed we asked for. It's the one that we have to live with this year. Taylor has a long ways to go, but he can make progress and we could still win a lot of games this year. I'm :facepalm: at anyone that wants to go and blame Shawn Watson for the ineffectiveness we saw today.

In fact, I think this is one of the best possible outcomes for Taylor that we could have asked for today. The last thing I wanted to see was another game where he dominated in all facets and led us to a blowout victory. He is going to face real adversity and be hit in the mouth and struggle with inconsistency at some point this season. The fact that he is taking those lumps right now, as opposed to against Kansas State or Texas, will have a positive result.

Heading into next week, it's going to be a hostile environment on the road with Washington and it is gonna be a battle. Nothing different from what was expected at the beginning of the season.

So I take it my T-tragic nickname is not going to go over too well with you? :hmmph

I said that if we fail to make the Big 12 CCG, it would be a call that rightly deserves a lot of questioning. If you are basing anything on Taylor's performance in these two games, you may want to refer to Lee's pretty unreal torch-at-will Sunbelt tour last year. Highlight performance: 2nd game, Ark St, 27/35, 340 yards, 4 touchdowns, 0 interceptions. Keep in mind we are at the same point in the season.

Even now, I would say we are all in wait and see mode, but remember, I am preaching patience for it to work out in this thread ;) I am pointing out that Taylor struggled, but it's going to be okay.

There is a lot of talent on this offense. It doesnt even take 20/20 vision to see it. Not everyone is great, but the talent is there.

I think three good people should be on the hot seat which seems to be obvious or the past several years (and they are good people, just maybe not the best coaches for this program for what they do).

Watson, Cotton, Gilmore

Gilmore wants a blocking receiver. Cotton wants his Oline to get mean. Watson wants to be cool with the QB. He has altered and tweaked the offense so much over the past four years that the result is usually the same: Inconsistency, questionable plays, and a identity that is always revolving because week in and week out it doesnt work. Every wonder why that is?

There is a lot of talent on this offense. It doesnt even take 20/20 vision to see it. Not everyone is great, but the talent is there.

I think three good people should be on the hot seat which seems to be obvious or the past several years (and they are good people, just maybe not the best coaches for this program for what they do).

Watson, Cotton, Gilmore

Gilmore wants a blocking receiver. Cotton wants his Oline to get mean. Watson wants to be cool with the QB. He has altered and tweaked the offense so much over the past four years that the result is usually the same: Inconsistency, questionable plays, and a identity that is always revolving because week in and week out it doesnt work. Every wonder why that is?

It's because have no identity whatsoever. "Nothing" to fall back on when things get tough. "Nothing" that we excel at. We're a "jack of all trades & a master of none".

So I take it my T-tragic nickname is not going to go over too well with you? :hmmph

That is a good one! Keep that one filed away and we may need it sometime this year as a clever headline :)

bshirt, having one thing to excel at and fall back on isn't an issue of scheme, it's an issue of execution. We relied on straight physical running last year. It didn't do us much good because we didn't have the horses in the OL to do it well. But it was the only thing we could do to give us a shot at winning games. We had a very clear, very simple identity. It was criticized for being boring.

What is often lost in the shuffle is that the OC works on installing gameplans and schemes (as well as Watson being quarterbacks coach); he does not have direct control over the quality of the pieces handed to him for him to use in those schemes. The abilities of the WR and the OL to have their fundamentals down and execute, falls on the shoulders of those position coaches.

I wanted to go back and emphasize one more point I was thinking of in making the initial post here, but one which I forgot to expound upon: there will very possibly be tougher times ahead, and we should store up some of that patience. In each of the past two years, we were facing dire prospects by midseason but pulled through in the end. If we fall short of our lofty expectations midseason, we can still hope the team will improve and pull through, with the support (rather than frenzied panic) of the fanbase.

The reason I say this is because we are averaging video game level yards per carry. There will come a time, soon, when Taylor and company aren't churning up 8 yards a carry in a game. There will be games where Taylor will be a downright pedestrian 12 carries, 70 yards...or worse, 12 carries, 40 yards - who knows. If that happens, as it stands now, it looks like we are going to struggle. But I'm a strong believer in staying the course. Much of those inevitable, forseeable struggles are going to fall on Taylor's shoulders, no mistake - but will make Taylor and this team stronger. And to throw one more stick of support to Watson, I'll reiterate: in Taylor we are signing up for "strings of big plays, strings of inconsistent plays." Don't be surprised when that is what we get, even if it turns out to be very unappetizing. Stay the course and we will be rewarded.

I agree that the kid will come along, but im not looking at the road 3-4 years away. Im looking at the season right now. In my eyes, i don't see us going 12 - 0 or 11 - 1 or maybe even 10 - 2. I think a more likely scenario will be 9 - 3. With losses to Texas A&M, either Washington or OSU, and god forbid Texas. If Taylor struggles against Idaho, that boy is going to walk away from atleast 2 of those games as chewed up tobacco spit.

But I will give Taylor the benefit of doubt and hope his play next week shuts me up.