Why run the wildcat?

Jim Hammer

I understand the point of the wildcat is to get the ball in the hands of a runner so you get an extra blocker as opposed to a qb handing it off. Our qb is one of the best runners on the team. What is having Burkhead or Paul taking a snap going to accomplish that we couldn't do with Martinez? It might even be less advantageous because Martinez is a threat to pass where you know whomever takes the snap in the wildcat is going to run.

Watch the Holiday Bowl last year and that's the reason. When it works, it's excellent. I don't know why they put Niles Fumble back there, either, but I'm glad we have the package. Burkhead disemboweled Arizona's defense with it.

But we didn't have Martinez at QB last year. Now we do. I think that's the point the OP is making.

It is all about giving mixed looks, the ability to run the wild cat with either Burkhead or Paul just makes one other more than for other teams to prepare for. I would think that teams scouting us today will look at the fumble as a fluke, and prepare for a playmaker like paul running the wild cat effectively. You add that to preparing for Burkhead running the wild cat and the biggest threat of t mart running an offese that is basicly a wild cat type offense anyways. It makes for a lot for the opposing d to handle.

How are you going to prepare differently for the wildcat when you already have to prepare for a running qb?

I get it last year when Burkhead was a big change from Lee, but what's the change from Martinez to Burkhead?

The Wildcat isn't just about running the football on the direct snap. You can also run sweeps and tosses to the quarterback who can then throw it down field.

Plus, it's just a different look and another way to confuse a defense.

How are you going to prepare differently for the wildcat when you already have to prepare for a running qb?

I get it last year when Burkhead was a big change from Lee, but what's the change from Martinez to Burkhead?

The Wildcat isn't just about running the football on the direct snap. You can also run sweeps and tosses to the quarterback who can then throw it down field.

:yeah

The more looks a defense may have to face and prepare for is a direct advantage for the offense. Confusion can lead to personel mismatches which is supposedly exactly what Watson wants.

Have we ever done that? If you have a running qb, then you already have that in the arsenal.

It's not that confusing. The advantage is getting the ball to a rb quickly and you have an extra blocker (no qb handing off which takes him out of the play).

It's not that confusing. The advantage is getting the ball to a rb quickly and you have an extra blocker (no qb handing off which takes him out of the play).

If it is not that confusing, then why do so many schools across the country run and enjoy large success with it. Personel mismatches occur when teams shift into the wild cat.

If it is not that confusing, then why do so many schools across the country run and enjoy large success with it. Personel mismatches occur when teams shift into the wild cat.
The advantage is getting the ball to a rb quickly and you have an extra blocker (no qb handing off which takes him out of the play).

Do you think teams don't know what's coming when the offense lines up in the wildcat?

Have we ever done that? If you have a running qb, then you already have that in the arsenal.

No, but that doesn't mean we can't. 'Just because you have a running QB' doesn't mean anything. How does a toss to Martinez and then having him throw it down field not make a difference if you need a gimmick play?

Plus, just because we haven't done something doesn't mean it couldn't be useful in the future.

Why don't you ask Arizona if they were or weren't confused by the Wildcat?

West Virginia is a great example as to why the Wildcat can be useful. They have had a mobile quarterback the last few years (and under Rich Rod) and the Wildcat was very useful of them.

Do you think every play is a success because the defense was confused? Most of the time it's because the offense was well executed.

I'm not saying the wildcat isn't effective, just unnecessary when we have Martinez at qb. A defense has to worry about more things when he is taking the snap than if Paul or Burkhead is.

How does a toss to Martinez and then having him throw it down field not make a difference if you need a gimmick play?

Sounds good for flag football.

Edit: I love a good gimmick play as much as the next guy, but they are usually run by teams who are underdogs and need a trick play because the regular offense isn't working.