BOISE STATE - HOME AND HOME

HuskerBob4

The million was supposedly the deal breaker according to reports this summer when all this was going down. But it is funny that a mil is too much but we just sent the Vandals back home with $800,000.

Its different with teams like the Vandals. The Vandals is almost a guarantee win. It doesn't make sense to pay a team 1 million to come out and have a good chance of beating you.

People have to remember, you don't schedule teams 2 weeks before you play them. We probably scheduled the Vandals 4 or 5 years ago, when they were consistently a 2-10 team or something like that. We didn't agree to the $800,000 payout AFTER they went 8-5 and won a bowl game. Just the year before last, they were a 2 win team.

i just really dont care to see us play BSU anymore... going into the big-10 we got lots of top games and we already have a fairly good non-confernce games coming up..... i'm sure this means there a MILLION reasons WHY we should play boise.. but to me its kinda not as important now as it once was and i dont think we should be bending over backwards to try to set something up..

let them court us........

I hope this is true. Would be a great series and I'd love to see us try to end their amazing home streak. Anyone who thinks $1 million is a lot to us is falling for the PR stunt. $1 million is absolutely nothing compared to the revenue we get, not to mention ESPN offered to pay the difference. We wanted no part of Kellen Moore with the schedule we already have.

Shatel hinted that Nebraska had tried to offer 2 for 1, home and home series, etc. and Boise shot them all down because the money wasn't high enough for them.

That's the catch to their "Anyone, anywhere" slogan.

Boy, you've got THAT right. As a side note, I notice that ESPN Classics is playing the Boise/Oklahoma bowl game. ESPN is so transparent......

I cant find any word on the op's claim. I did find this article that contradicts it. I'm not saying it isn't true, but it seems unlikely since the article was written on friday.

Had a nice discussion on twitter yesterday with Tom Shatel, a columnist at the Omaha World-Herald. He wrote this piece about how Nebraska tried to schedule Boise State, but it didn’t work out. Obviously, he put the Nebraska spin on things: “… according to NU Assistant Athletic Director Jeff Jamrog, Boise wanted a minimum $1 million to play in Lincoln. Geez, no wonder the Broncos can’t get anyone to play them. Pay Boise State $1 million to come to your town? Sorry, don’t want it that bad.” Shatel, of course, left out that $1 million is increasingly becoming the ‘going rate’ for these early-season non-conference games against the WAC (or lesser conferences).

Boise State reportedly received $1.25 million (it is a little unclear who paid that) to play Virginia Tech at a “neutral” site Monday.

[uPDATE: According to the Statesman, the Redskins paid Boise and Virginia Tech for the game.]

Texas reportedly paid UTEP (of Conference USA) $1 million for a non-conference game this season.

Alabama reportedly paid San Jose State $1 million for a non-conference game this season.

Auburn reportedly paid Arkansas State $1 million for a non-conference game this season.

Nebraska reportedly paid Idaho $800,000 for a non-conference game this season.

Texas A&M will reportedly pay Idaho $850,000 for a non-conference game next season.

LSU will reportedly pay Idaho $950,000 for a non-conference game in 2012.

Ole Miss will reportedly pay Boise State $900,000 for a non-conference game next season.

Ohio State will reportedly pay Colorado $1.4 million for a non-conference game next season.

In 2006, Tennessee reportedly paid Air Force $850,000 for a non-conference game.

(One key aspect of Shatel’s piece that wasn’t specified – what did Boise want $1 million for? A home-and-home? A 2-for-1? Just one game? That was unclear. In our opinion, there’s a huge difference. We would agree Boise was being greedy if it wanted $1 million for a home-and-home. We hope that’s not the case.)

So essentially, Boise is screwed. Teams won’t give Boise a home-and-home because the Broncos don’t lose on the blue turf, and the way the archaic BCS is rigged, one loss early in the season is so damaging that nobody wants to risk it (ask Oregon). You lose one game in the current system and you just hope the “computers” put you in the title game. You lose one game in the playoff system? You can settle things on the field in a 16-team playoff.

At the same time, big conference teams like Nebraska, who basically pay for automatic wins against cupcakes, won’t pay the going rate to Boise State. Keep in mind, of course, the game against Boise State will likely be televised nationally, at night, and garner enormous TV ratings. So then Boise cries “nobody will play us” and a couple clowns say, “you want a million bucks!” and Boise says, “well that’s what everyone else is getting, why shouldn’t we?” and the clowns come back with, “we’ll pay for easy victories” and then Boise will say, “fine, if we’re on your level, play us at our place, too” and then the endless circle begins again.

When we presented a couple of the games mentioned above to Shatel on twitter as proof the system is broken, he finally agreed that Boise wasn’t at fault (nor was Nebraska).

Link

If Boise is so good why do we need to pay them to play us? Any were any time? what a joke! They should pay us to play them and bolster their SOS. Top ten teams don't get PAID to play anyone.

This is all that needs to be said. The onus is on them to prove they belong because they are in a joke of a conference. It is not Nebraska or Texas or Ohio State's duty to unnecessarily help them do so.

If Boise is so good why do we need to pay them to play us? Any were any time? what a joke! They should pay us to play them and bolster their SOS. Top ten teams don't get PAID to play anyone.

This is all that needs to be said. The onus is on them to prove they belong because they are in a joke of a conference. It is not Nebraska or Texas or Ohio State's duty to unnecessarily help them do so.

In Boise's defense there aren't a lot of schools who want to go play them on the smurf turf. Thus putting them at a disadvantage most one game series to have the road team being paid, this weekends game set the huskers back $800,000. What Boise is asking is far from out of the ordinary.

In Boise's defense there aren't a lot of schools who want to go play them on the smurf turf. Thus putting them at a disadvantage most one game series to have the road team being paid, this weekends game set the huskers back $800,000. What Boise is asking is far from out of the ordinary.

Still if they really want to make a title run several away games to big places would put them in the discussion.

Will Boise State football play Nebraska starting in 2015?

Statesman staff - Idaho Statesman

Published: 01/16/10

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne has offered Boise State a 2-for-1 scheduling proposal, he said Friday on the Idaho Sports Talk with Caves and Prater radio show on KTIK. The proposal calls for two games in Lincoln, Neb., and one in Bronco Stadium, with the series starting in 2015, Osborne said. Boise State officials were not available for comment late Friday afternoon.

Idaho paper from last Jauary

It is if they expect a return trip. You don't hand out cash for home and homes. There is absolutely no reason to schedule them with their ridiculous rules.

Besides, we had marquee series scheduled until at least 2017.

Guys, I have searched everywhere and called everyone I know that would have information like this and have yet to confirm or deny it. I have even emailed the radio personalities that made the statement. There were pretty fired up about it...started with typical Boise discussion, "sick of hearing about them acting like a little guy", "they need to step up and play someone", yada yada...He said he was glad Nebraska was able to lock it down and would be happy to see us roll them twice to shut them up!

Will be interesting to hear where they got their info....

As far as the $1MM, I believe Va Tech ended up forking over $1.4MM for a one game deal. If Boise wants to play with the big boys, they need to accept a 2 for 1 deal or home and home series and not expect any cash in return. We didn't get cash for going to USC, UW, etc.

And most likely by the time we would have room for them on the schedule, Peterson will have moved on and they will be back in obscurity...