BOISE STATE - HOME AND HOME

HuskerBob4

Folks, Boise is asking for the money for a single game in Lincoln, not for a home and home. Please get the facts straight before bashing anyone. Nebraska has tried avoiding playing at Boise because they don't want a game that difficult with the conference schedule being tough and games against Washington, UCLA and Fresno upcoming.

Guys, I have searched everywhere and called everyone I know that would have information like this and have yet to confirm or deny it. I have even emailed the radio personalities that made the statement. There were pretty fired up about it...started with typical Boise discussion, "sick of hearing about them acting like a little guy", "they need to step up and play someone", yada yada...He said he was glad Nebraska was able to lock it down and would be happy to see us roll them twice to shut them up!

Will be interesting to hear where they got their info....

As far as the $1MM, I believe Va Tech ended up forking over $1.4MM for a one game deal. If Boise wants to play with the big boys, they need to accept a 2 for 1 deal or home and home series and not expect any cash in return. We didn't get cash for going to USC, UW, etc.

And most likely by the time we would have room for them on the schedule, Peterson will have moved on and they will be back in obscurity...

What was the name of the show and host(s)? They may have archived shows on their website.

Folks, Boise is asking for the money for a single game in Lincoln, not for a home and home. Please get the facts straight before bashing anyone. Nebraska has tried avoiding playing at Boise because they don't want a game that difficult with the conference schedule being tough and games against Washington, UCLA and Fresno upcoming.

Personaly I think that the years with UCLA and Fresno could use some toughening up, however I do agree with your point that unless it is a home and home we need to shell out some cash for them to come in and play.

Guys, I have searched everywhere and called everyone I know that would have information like this and have yet to confirm or deny it. I have even emailed the radio personalities that made the statement. There were pretty fired up about it...started with typical Boise discussion, "sick of hearing about them acting like a little guy", "they need to step up and play someone", yada yada...He said he was glad Nebraska was able to lock it down and would be happy to see us roll them twice to shut them up!

Will be interesting to hear where they got their info....

As far as the $1MM, I believe Va Tech ended up forking over $1.4MM for a one game deal. If Boise wants to play with the big boys, they need to accept a 2 for 1 deal or home and home series and not expect any cash in return. We didn't get cash for going to USC, UW, etc.

And most likely by the time we would have room for them on the schedule, Peterson will have moved on and they will be back in obscurity...

the redskins paid both teams...it wasnt vaTech shelling out that type of money to play the smurfs.

• 2 weeks later...

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/27965/boise-state-wants-home-and-home-games

One of the biggest talking points about Boise State is its weak of strength of schedule and why the Broncos are not doing anything about it. Athletic director Gene Bleymaier has talked many times about the difficulty of getting top-tier opponents on their schedule, because most do not want to play in Boise.

Some headlines were made a few weeks ago when Nebraska came out and said a two-for-one deal to play Boise State fizzled because the Broncos wanted $1 million to play in Lincoln. Now there are more headlines today.

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore told The Tuscaloosa News that he has never been contacted by Boise State to schedule a game. Reached Friday for a response, Bleymaier said it was because he wants a home and home, not a one and done on the road.

"We'll play anybody in the country home and home," Bleymaier told ESPN. Although Boise State's 2011 schedule isn't yet finalized, Bleymaier said the Broncos do have a Southeastern Conference opponent -- Ole Miss. That is not a home-and-home, and Boise State is being paid $900,000 for the one-time trip.

So is this going to become a standard story, where all the athletic directors at the elite programs around the country are asked whether they have heard from Boise State? If not, then shame on Boise State?

The Broncos have every right to want a home-and-home agreement here. If Alabama wanted a piece of Boise State, then why not call up Bleymaier and schedule a home-and-home? Right, because Alabama has nothing to prove, and there is no reason for the Tide do that when they already play in the ultra competitive SEC. Well, if that was the case, then why is Alabama playing one marquee non-conference game a year?

Boise State has much more to prove and should make every attempt to strengthen its schedule. But it needs enough home gates, too.

The million was supposedly the deal breaker according to reports this summer when all this was going down. But it is funny that a mil is too much but we just sent the Vandals back home with $800,000.

Its different with teams like the Vandals. The Vandals is almost a guarantee win. It doesn't make sense to pay a team 1 million to come out and have a good chance of beating you.

That has NOTHING to do with it. We pay teams like the Vandals to come here but we don't have to go back to their place.

Boise wants a 1-1 where we have to go back to play in their stadium that only holds about 30k people.. but still wants to get paid like a cupcake team that doesn't get a return trip.

And for what it's worth, Nebraska offered Boise SEVERAL options, one was a 1-1, one was a 1-done, one was a 2-1 with two being here and one being there and the last offer we made them was a 2-1 with one in Lincoln, one on the smurf turf and one at a neutral site (likely in Denver) THE MINIMUM Boise would accept included a guaranteed $1M payout. It's not like they wanted a 1-1 with $1M, a 1-1 offer came with a significantly higher cash asking price.

There's a reason they wouldn't play VT in Blacksburg and the game only came together when ESPN ponied up some money to pay what Boise was asking.

"We'll play anybody in the country home and home," Bleymaier told ESPN. Although Boise State's 2011 schedule isn't yet finalized, Bleymaier said the Broncos do have a Southeastern Conference opponent -- Ole Miss. That is not a home-and-home, and Boise State is being paid $900,000 for the one-time trip.

Anyone*, Anywhere*, Anytime

If Boise is so good why do we need to pay them to play us? Any were any time? what a joke! They should pay us to play them and bolster their SOS. Top ten teams don't get PAID to play anyone.

This is all that needs to be said. The onus is on them to prove they belong because they are in a joke of a conference. It is not Nebraska or Texas or Ohio State's duty to unnecessarily help them do so.

In Boise's defense there aren't a lot of schools who want to go play them on the smurf turf. Thus putting them at a disadvantage most one game series to have the road team being paid, this weekends game set the huskers back $800,000. What Boise is asking is far from out of the ordinary.

It is if they expect a return trip. You don't hand out cash for home and homes. There is absolutely no reason to schedule them with their ridiculous rules.

Besides, we had marquee series scheduled until at least 2017.

Agreed. If Boise State wants the respect that they're trying to get, then they can start playing the 'big boys' they're trying to become without having incentive packages handed to them. It shouldn't have to take $1 million to schedule a good opponent.

i just really dont care to see us play BSU anymore... going into the big-10 we got lots of top games and we already have a fairly good non-confernce games coming up..... i'm sure this means there a MILLION reasons WHY we should play boise.. but to me its kinda not as important now as it once was and i dont think we should be bending over backwards to try to set something up..

let them court us........

Well the tougher the conferences get, the tougher it is to win the conference undefeated. Can you imagine all of the major conferences beating each other up with no undefeated, and meanwhile two teams with cupcake schedules go undefeated? The best way to keep them from jumping you in the poll is to beat them. I wonder how much money BSU gets for playing their other OOC games.

Can you imagine all of the major conferences beating each other up with no undefeated, and meanwhile two teams with cupcake schedules go undefeated? The best way to keep them from jumping you in the poll is to beat them. I wonder how much money BSU gets for playing their other OOC games.

A one loss SEC champion would undoubtedly go before an undefeated Boise.

I'm just glad we didn't schedule Boise period before the big 10 move took place. Our big 10 schedule the first two years is arguably more difficult than an SEC schedule and there's no need for another marquee non-conference game on top of the one already scheduled.

People shouldn't knock Boise though. They have proved themselves to be a good football program the last 10 years and it was built from nothing. As with any other top tier program there are careful considerations with non-conference scheduling, especially away games that that are an automatic financial loss (compared to a home game) no matter what the payout is. I believe when they join the MWC next year there's going to be some great football in that conference and a strong argument for the big east losing their automatic BCS bid to the MWC. How they beef up their non-conference schedule to make the road to national champions is less clear, but perhaps one the remaining big 12 schools will be interested in the future.