Denard Robinson where Tmart could be?

WYHusk

Caught a bit of the ND-Michigan game (always awesome when ND goes down to another heartbreaking defeat), and it occured to me watching Denard Robinson make mincemeat of the Notre Dame D that he's a good model for Tmart. Super mobile, fantastic arm.

I used to think Tyrod Taylor might be a good prototype but since yesterday's, er, not-so-hot performance, I'm retooling.

Thoughts?

Meh..they're both good players. Let's see which one wins more games before we start saying who should be more like the other.

The Michigan/Notre Dame game was a big game for their respective fan bases, but it had literally no bearing on National Title hopes or any other large determining factor.

• Fire 1

Eh... Let's wait and see what Denard Robinson does in conference play. Last year Michigan started 4-0 and broke the top 25 and everything, then lost 7 of their last 8 games.

Also, I hope we don't use Martinez like Michigan is using Robinson. Robinson is basically their entire offense (20+ carries in each of the first 2 games), I don't think it would be tremendously difficult to defend, and I think he's going to get worn down midseason.

Eh... Let's wait and see what Denard Robinson does in conference play. Last year Michigan started 4-0 and broke the top 25 and everything, then lost 7 of their last 8 games.

Also, I hope we don't use Martinez like Michigan is using Robinson. Robinson is basically their entire offense (20+ carries in each of the first 2 games), I don't think it would be tremendously difficult to defend, and I think he's going to get worn down midseason.

I agree. Even yesterday, Taylor was taking some serious licks and it looked like he was feeling them on the sideline.

I agree with much of what is being said in this thread. Michigan had Robinson pass down field only a handful of times, probably less than five. All they did was run with Robinson, hand off, and throw screens. I'm not buying into him as a QB at all. I'll take Martinez any day. I think people are making too much of Robinson's performance anyway. If Dayne Crist doesn't miss almost the entire first half, Notre Dame wins handily.

The big advantage for Martinez is the emphasis on detail by him and the backs. The fakes on them read plays, and carrying out of the fakes by both taylor and the rex/roy/dontrey. are incredibly. On Taylor's first touchdown run, BOTH the lb and de crashed down on Roy, while it seemed like the rest of d were already corraling on him. by the time they figured out taylor had the ball, it was too late. I dont care how good or fast of a defense you have, when our guys are playing and carrying out fakes like that, no one's gonna stop it when they have to sit to figure out who has the ball, or guess at who has the ball.

Good points, all. I think someone said that Robinson is Michigan's whole offense, whereas we have a few other weapons. Along those lines, I wonder when Bo is going to turn a whole game over to Tmart, not sharing time with Cody Green ...?

I also thought Michigan and ND looked very slow. Going to be fun in the B10 next year against plodders like that, me thinks.

I seem to be the only one in the world unimpressed with Robinson for the most part (EDIT: lilred, too, after reading the other replies). Sure he's a great runner who can break the big one, but as a complete quarterback he looked very average. He is Jammal Lord with a little extra burst. Both guys put up gaudy numbers (Lord broke just about every record in the book) and yet don't enough of a complete game when put up against a really talented front seven.

What percentage of Robinson's passes yesterday were screens or quick outs? The offensive gameplan was QB power, QB draw, WR screen, repeat. And it netted them absolutely nothing for 95% of the second half. Just wait for a few of the better Big 10 defenses to break down that film and come up with a gameplan to force DR to complete passes downfield. It won't be pretty for Michigan.

Personally I think we watched two really average teams play a great game. Both these teams will lose 4-5 games unless they really improve soon.

• Fire 1

I think Michigan is going to do the same thing they did last year. Start strong then take a huge dump midway through the season. I think shoelaces has some skills though. If T-mobile were putting up 500 yards a game I'd say for get shoelaces. I'm really most interested to see them both in two years OR next year even. Should be fun.

I would surely hope NU & Tmart/Rex runs wild on Michigan next year. I don't see anything on Michigan's defense that should stop them. But a year later could bring big changes.....we'll see.