Anderson haters don't know baseball

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Unless Anderson stops trying to manage like its a pro game his days are numbered.

i concur. always playing small ball. which is fine usually in later innings. but in the first couple...... it irks me

....why? So does Texas' style of play irk you also? Wish it irked me....

In my opinion, Texas wins because of players and not style of play. Texas style of play is appealing to others because they win. They win because of pitching and defense not because of offense. Offense is very conservative and is based on scoring 1 or 2 runs and winning with pitching and defense. Problem with Texas last year and this year, and in near future, other programs (UCLA, TCU, CAL ST. FULL, FLORIDA, ETC)can match their arms but have better offenses. Texas gets any player they want in Texas...especially pitchers. Their ballpark is pitcher friendly and thus they recruit to that.

By the way, Texas is looking for a Sunday starter and a closer. They have plenty of candidates but none that will be as good or better than Brandon Workman or Chance Ruffin last year. Also, Texas projected starting catcher is out for season. Their two candidates will be projected left fielder and a freshman. Both are average to below average defensively. Also, hearing that Cole Green is having motivational issues...will believe that when I see it. Texas may have to rely on freshman more than in past...last time they had to rely on this many freshman was 2008. Oh yeah, Nebraska took two of 3 in Austin that year.

Unless Anderson stops trying to manage like its a pro game his days are numbered.

i concur. always playing small ball. which is fine usually in later innings. but in the first couple...... it irks me

In my opinion, Texas wins because of players and not style of play. Texas style of play is appealing to others because they win. They win because of pitching and defense not because of offense. Offense is very conservative and is based on scoring 1 or 2 runs and winning with pitching and defense. Problem with Texas last year and this year, and in near future, other programs (UCLA, TCU, CAL ST. FULL, FLORIDA, ETC)can match their arms but have better offenses. Texas gets any player they want in Texas...especially pitchers. Their ballpark is pitcher friendly and thus they recruit to that.

By the way, Texas is looking for a Sunday starter and a closer. They have plenty of candidates but none that will be as good or better than Brandon Workman or Chance Ruffin last year. Also, Texas projected starting catcher is out for season. Their two candidates will be projected left fielder and a freshman. Both are average to below average defensively. Also, hearing that Cole Green is having motivational issues...will believe that when I see it. Texas may have to rely on freshman more than in past...last time they had to rely on this many freshman was 2008. Oh yeah, Nebraska took two of 3 in Austin that year.

The reason they play small ball on offense is because they have the strong pitching and defense... That's what we've tried to have, and it works... That's what I'm saying..... I didn't say Texas' style of offense, I said Texas' style of play.. which includes offense and defense...

The reason they play small ball on offense is because they have the strong pitching and defense... That's what we've tried to have, and it works... That's what I'm saying..... I didn't say Texas' style of offense, I said Texas' style of play.. which includes offense and defense...

Yes, I knew what you meant. I understand why someone would prefer that style of play...especially if they knew they could recruit that type of pitching year in and year out. However, I think their are programs that are equally as blessed with pitching but they are more potent offensively or willing to be more aggressive on the bases. Last year, the Tampa Bay Rays were the second highest scoring offense in the American League despite the fact that they had one of the lowest batting averages. Their style of play is what I would like to immulate...Madden coached under Scoissa(?) and that is where he learned. Style is much more than sacrifice bunting. Their style is an aggressive style built around taking the extra base, i.e bunting, stealing, hit and run, 1st to third on a 1B, second to home on an infield ground ball, bunt and run. This stratgey is developed through practice, scouting, team speed, etc.

Not saying that Nebraska will beat Texas 2 out of 3 this year (Nebraska has a lot to prove) but Texas is not the same this year and is ripe for the picking....JMO

Yes, I knew what you meant. I understand why someone would prefer that style of play...especially if they knew they could recruit that type of pitching year in and year out. However, I think their are programs that are equally as blessed with pitching but they are more potent offensively or willing to be more aggressive on the bases. Last year, the Tampa Bay Rays were the second highest scoring offense in the American League despite the fact that they had one of the lowest batting averages. Their style of play is what I would like to immulate...Madden coached under Scoissa(?) and that is where he learned. Style is much more than sacrifice bunting. Their style is an aggressive style built around taking the extra base, i.e bunting, stealing, hit and run, 1st to third on a 1B, second to home on an infield ground ball, bunt and run. This stratgey is developed through practice, scouting, team speed, etc.

Not saying that Nebraska will beat Texas 2 out of 3 this year (Nebraska has a lot to prove) but Texas is not the same this year and is ripe for the picking....JMO

I still think the conference comes down to OU and UT.. Texas has one of the best 1-2 punches in the college game and that will give them a great chance to win the series every week..

I understand there is more than sac bunting to an offense, but I also understand there is more to small ball than sac bunting. to me, small ball is all about what you just described and not living on the big inning.. It is easier to build a team around pitching and defense when you are a northern team, IMO, because it's easier to get the less flashy guys that hit their spots and "get" pitching as opposed to the big boppers that just make the ball fly..

• 2 months later...

I had to dig up this thread because everytime I listen to the Husker baseball games, I think of this thread's title and laugh. Maybe we Anderson haters actually don't understand baseball. Is the point of baseball to take a hot program and slowly turn it into the nice white dog turd that currently is Nebraska baseball?

Disagree. While Lincoln may not be the "ideal" location for a baseball program, it isn't nearly as bad as it could get. The mecca of college baseball is just down the road, and that alone is a decent reason to play here. It has already been shown that you can have success here, we just have to have the right coaches/players to get it done. How does "truly understanding baseball" change the opinion of whether or not the ship can be righted with the baseball program?

I agree with the above.

Lincoln may not be a coastal school with beaches and babes but it is very near the "annual" mecca of college baseball. Additionally, joining the B1G is huge for the program both directly and within the B1G "network". Who here would be surprised if the B1G network increases its advertisement of the CWS "if" a baseball program within the conference suddenly became a regular CWS participant? (I'd be more surprised if the B1G network didn't.)

NU has a chance to write a new chapter within its athletic department and become the B1G's traditional powerhouse. Utilizing the B1G network to pimp the program and entice recruits is another huge step up from the current conference and Anderwatson IS NOT the person that can take the program to the next level. For that matter, he's barely able to keep the program at a mediocre level.

I had to dig up this thread because everytime I listen to the Husker baseball games, I think of this thread's title and laugh. Maybe we Anderson haters actually don't understand baseball. Is the point of baseball to take a hot program and slowly turn it into the nice white dog turd that currently is Nebraska baseball?

This is like deja vu of conversations that were flying around the board after the bball season, only except this conversation came first. Wierd

This is like deja vu of conversations that were flying around the board after the bball season, only except this conversation came first. Wierd

True, but Doc got everybody interested during the season.

Anderson ????????????????

True, but Doc got everybody interested during the season.

Anderson ????????????????

Be honest and go with me here, but at the time one could very easily say the series win vs. UCLA especially with Cole and Bauer pitching two of those games. Gotta cede on this one

To a degree I agree Paul. However, the weather was horrific (especially a warm weather club) and UCLA has since lost and is currently 14-9 (or something like that). Can't help to wonder how badly the UCLA program is underachieving with those two studs in the weekend rotation.

Well cold weather favors pitching, and thus should have HEAVILY favored the Bruins. So going off that, Hacker you should give Newman props for calling great games for the pitchers. Something that will make you cringe a little, but tru since you have been harsh on him(just ribbing ya, but it is true). In fact we all know the Husker pitching staff definitely OVERACHIEVED that series. You can say UCLA is a poor hitting team, and they still are, but NU's staff has made some very mediocre schools look like the ASU Sun Devil teams of old.

Secondly UCLA is ranked again(in at 24), and their losses have been to Georgia, Cal Poly, USC(twice), and Fullerton(ranked 12th). Not exactly piss poor competition. In only two of those games (USC and Poly) did Cole start. Against SC he struck out 12 but an error led to four runs in the 7th, and against Poly(no runs given up) he pitched only innings because of weather. So the Big 2 have done their part.

So when we revisit this series win in late May and June, I will say right now it will look huge.