For Watson Supporters

Man it just seems like they can get out of rhythm in a hurry and never rebound. I think his previous offensive style couldnt get the job done, and he took the approach "if you cant beat 'em, join 'em" (change to spread).

What I do like is when the offense is rolling, its beautiful. I'm big on the forward pass. I think that's going to be all the difference if we are successful this season or not. If they can show consistency with the passing game as a threat (and not that awful lateral stuff - sideline to sideline) the run game will be even more difficult to key on and stop. We'll score BILLIONS of points.

At the end of the day, I hope SW gets it right. I really do.

Bingo took the words right out of my mouth.........

For us to be successful this year, to get where we all want to go, we have to be able to pass the ball downfield. I like Tmart in all he brings a totally different dynmatic to the game that we havent had for about 10 years or so. Until he is able to throw the ball downfield with consistency, im not really sold on him or type of offense we are running. I think by conference play defense teams like Texas are gonna be able to figure out how to stop this offense. Seems like the zone read is money everytime its run. But the weakside backers and safety have nevered stayed home on this play. In conference play teams are gonna be disciplined on playing their assignments, thus being able to stop that play.

What COULD make this offense extremely dangerous is if Martinez settles in a bit and they run play action out of that. He seems to have the fake down pat and is VERY good at it. Think if he can perform the same fake and be able to pull it out of the RB's gut and throw. The offense would have an entirely different look/feel, not to mention it would would only open up bigger holes in the running game.

I'm getting old and my memory is the 2nd shortest thing I've got but, as I recall it that bounce pass resulted in a touchdown..... against Maryland?? in the late 70's??. Someone else just used that again last weekend with the same result.

The only time I know for certain we ran that play was against Oklahoma and it went for about 25 yards or so. No TD, at any rate.

See, your memory is longer than mine... It was Oklahoma, Sept. 26, 1982. Gill to Fryar to Krenk for 37 yds. Huskers score 2 plays later and never look back.

We were discussing that play here on HuskerBoard this summer, so it didn't require a great memory. I originally thought we scored on that play, too, until that conversation.

I'm getting old and my memory is the 2nd shortest thing I've got but, as I recall it that bounce pass resulted in a touchdown..... against Maryland?? in the late 70's??. Someone else just used that again last weekend with the same result.

The only time I know for certain we ran that play was against Oklahoma and it went for about 25 yards or so. No TD, at any rate.

See, your memory is longer than mine... It was Oklahoma, Sept. 26, 1982. Gill to Fryar to Krenk for 37 yds. Huskers score 2 plays later and never look back.

We were discussing that play here on HuskerBoard this summer, so it didn't require a great memory. I originally thought we scored on that play, too, until that conversation.

Krenk was on the radio this weekend talking about the play, on the pregame show. I didn't hear him say if it was a TD or not, I had a 5 year old yapping in my ear.

The primary difference being that Watson is not Osborne and that Osborne's record gave him the right to call "cute" plays when he wanted to do so.

Yeah, but Osborne took a lot of heat for his play calling during those first 20 seasons when he didn't win a national championship.

It was before the internet, but second guessing the coach has always been our national pastime.

I just remembered that the defense never bit on the ball hitting the ground ploy and kept coming, but Fryar made the play work anyway. It was a national tv game so they played it over and over.

I just remembered that the defense never bit on the ball hitting the ground ploy and kept coming, but Fryar made the play work anyway. It was a national tv game so they played it over and over.

The primary difference being that Watson is not Osborne and that Osborne's record gave him the right to call "cute" plays when he wanted to do so.

Yeah, but Osborne took a lot of heat for his play calling during those first 20 seasons when he didn't win a national championship.

It was before the internet, but second guessing the coach has always been our national pastime.

Maybe so . . . but how many games a year was he winning in those non-championship seasons? Apparently our standards have been lowered considerably. Just an observation.

Maybe so . . . but how many games a year was he winning in those non-championship seasons? Apparently our standards have been lowered considerably. Just an observation.

Exactly.

Also, for his five years as OC for Devaney & 25 years as being the "real" OC as HC, how many years did he have an offense even remotely as bad as last year?

Exactly.

Also, for his five years as OC for Devaney & 25 years as being the "real" OC as HC, how many years did he have an offense even remotely as bad as last year?

If your trying to make the point that osbornes offense was better than Watson's gongratulations you are correct. I would like to flip the coin in the first two games the team has rushed for 287 and 360 yards respectively. How much more would you like, do you expect 500 rush yards. Seriously what could he do to show you that he is a good oc. It obviously isnt enough to have t.o.'s backing, it isnt enough to have been Saben's first choice. What will it take to get the support of husker nation. Other than pulling the crap he did last week in which he ran on to the field and fumbled 8 timies, and tricked cotton and henry into commiting stupid penalties

Exactly.

If your trying to make the point that osbornes offense was better than Watson's gongratulations you are correct. I would like to flip the coin in the first two games the team has rushed for 287 and 360 yards respectively. How much more would you like, do you expect 500 rush yards. Seriously what could he do to show you that he is a good oc. It obviously isnt enough to have t.o.'s backing, it isnt enough to have been Saben's first choice. What will it take to get the support of husker nation. Other than pulling the crap he did last week in which he ran on to the field and fumbled 8 timies, and tricked cotton and henry into commiting stupid penalties

Well, the NFL Vikings wanted COZ so I guess we should have kept him too. Putting N. Paul (the human fumble machine) at "qb" was something I really doubt TO would do. Especially as we already have greased lightning there with Tmart. Oh heck, I could go on forever.....but we're probably not going to change each other's mind, right?

I'll leave it at this.....I honestly REALLY hope you're correct and he'll become a great OC. He's got some serious tools to work with this year in Roy/Rex/Tmart/etc.

Lastly, I LOVE those running numbers bigtime. Kudos to SW for them. However, having a putrid power game (at best) is a very, very serious problem. Laugh it off if you want (which you'll surely do) but getting stuffed by bloody "Idaho" on 4th & 1 and 3rd & 2 is pretty downright ugly. Now if that's on Barney or SW I really don't know. But it doesn't look good.

Osborne was winning 9 games a season. And fans were complaining because he was often outcoached in the big games and the rap was that the Husker offense was too predictible.

If our standard is winning three national championships in four years, yes, our standards have been lowered considerably. If our standards are a return to respectibility in an NCAA that boasts more competitive football programs than ever, this is exactly the track we are on. We are currently ranked #6 in a Top 25 littered with talented offenses that sputtered and underperformed in the first two games of the season. And people are talking about the crazy talented freshmen we're starting at qb, a kid who is guaranteed to make awesome plays and hair-pulling mistakes. I don't know what's going to happen next but I'd rank it as the most exciting season in years.

I forget. What were you guys complaining about again?