5 things to know about NU's uniforms

np_husker

I would like to see a 1 time only, all black blackshirts uni for the texas game. flame away, but thats my opinion. I think it would just set the crowd into a frenzy if out of nowhere a all black NE team came out the tunnel throwing the bones! Just a bada$$ way to say we are ready. only for that game though, otherwise i like what we have. Just would be cool for the younger generations to spice things up now and then. I did like the throwbacks we wore for the 300th sellout game!

I never saw the uni's Mizzou wore against Kansas, but if they're the same as the ones pictured above, those are pretty cool. And I know some people (especially on this board) didn't like VT's against Boise St., but I also thought they looked bad@ss. You're never going to please everyone, so subtle changes every once in a while should be ok. I personally love the uni's we have now, but I wouldn't be opposed to something different on special occasions. As long as they don't do anything too drastic.

I would like to see a 1 time only, all black blackshirts uni for the texas game. flame away, but thats my opinion. I think it would just set the crowd into a frenzy if out of nowhere a all black NE team came out the tunnel throwing the bones! Just a bada$$ way to say we are ready. only for that game though, otherwise i like what we have. Just would be cool for the younger generations to spice things up now and then. I did like the throwbacks we wore for the 300th sellout game!

The Texas game is "Red Out Around the World". No black!

can we please bring these uniforms back? I don't care what pant's we wear but i hate the current top's we have.

I liked this Uniform set up alot.Eric%20Crouch%20245.jpg

:yeah

I say it everytime this gets brought up, I'm glad to see more people remembering this look.

2001 setup for the win!

I'm surprised how many people liked the red socks, it was something unique without getting drastic, plus it makes the white pants look much better overall and less "boring" without any stripes.

The patches are balanced on the left and right sides and "Nebraska" is on top the numbers, although in small print but effective, to represent who you play for on the front of the jersey.

And then this for the road, the exact opposite of the home uniforms.

645529.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=3&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD55E4CD167D7334724BC82AA1608AFB13368F555F7910B377E30A760B0D811297

These were the only uniforms I truly enjoyed, you could see the sleeve color perfectly, and the numbers were on the side of the jersey so they stuck out perfectly with shoulder pads on.

You could also go red tops, red bottoms, tall white socks with black shoes for an All-Red uniform. Then a white top, white bottom, tall red socks and black shoes for an All-White look from these. I think that would look best for Home/Away and Alternatives in my opinion. Sure our current ones are "okay" but if I had my choice, see above.

I never got into the shoulder stripes of the Rodgers era, the N on the side of the jersey in the 80s, or even the white shoes that came with it, of course I'm also a part of the younger generation.

White pants, no stripes, white tall socks in 1997 is just too bland, almost looks like you're wearing a dress with all the white, there is no "flavor" in it.

I also hated the 1962 uniforms. I understand why we wore them, and it was cool for one game, BUT NEVER AGAIN! I wasn't fan of the numbers as well, the jerseys were okay looking, but the helmets, blah, gray face-mask and black numbers, puke! Keep them in 1962.

Although 2002 was "interesting" and "different" I like our approach much better now. Maybe 2002 would have been better had the pant stripe not be as "thick" and the white on the jersey was "solid" instead of two lines. As well as having a red bottom for the road instead of all-white on the road.

I wouldn't like all-white on the road all the time, but every now and then I think is okay, same goes for all-red as I stated above, but not looking like 2002 though.

Great idea!

I assign you to give an oral report on the topic on the 14th St railroad tracks for 2 hours.

This would be better

^ I think those actually look pretty sweet. for one time only though.... maybe bowl game too if we win.

I like the black socks just fine. In the end socks are something I am glad is just left up to the unity council. Don't mind too much one way or the other and it's best the players play something they like to play in.

I am surprised about the stripes. I thought that we were GOING for the more shoulder stripe look, although it did look a bit "in between" say, Rams shoulder stripes and classic horizontal ones. The cut explains it. It looks kind of weird though being in that awkward in between. I suppose it's a little avant garde.

I'd like to see a zany uniform for just a game.

Have we not used all-whites since CU '07? I thought we had once or twice. I miss those. They looked good, real good.

I'm surprised nobody has mention TCU's uniforms, I thought they were pretty cool looking and defiantly unique.

LINK

I'm in the minority on VTech's uniforms as well I really like how the strips on the helmets faded from dark maroon into the orange, but the numbers were strange. I think they probably would have looked better had the designs in them actually had significance.

As for our uniforms over the years I really like the style of our uniforms right now, but my favorite jersey material would have to be the mesh of the early 90's (probably because that's what I first played in for midget football). If you could some how make the frog skin look into a "mock-mesh" look I think that would be a nice change of pace, maybe a throw back for the 20th anniversary of all those championships (that makes me feel old just saying that and I'm only 22, its been far too long).

But anyways putting aside everyone's opinions, from an artistic stand point it's pretty hard to think of a unique "pro combat" design for Nebraska. Like Penn St. or Bama we've been wearing almost the same style of uniform for so long and then there's everything else, like logos, that are so plane Jane there isn't really much to work with. Even the state itself doesn't offer that much, i.e. Mizzou's matte black paying homage to the B-2 base and TCU's frog skin, what are we going to do disguise a big phallic object for chimney rock or the capitol, or even an ear of corn?

One thing I'd really, really like to see with any type of uniform is white shoes with black adidas stripes on the side and white socks. Maybe you could even use red strips. But either way I think that would look pretty sharp, not to mention Muhammad Ali always made that scheme look damn good, and everyone knows what he could do with his footwork!

The thing that's funny about those Nike uniforms is, because you know some highly respected Nike artist created them, they seem to look a lot better. It's like, if you look at this:

Matissesnail.jpg

...and you think it's something a 2nd grader made in art class, you think, "hopefully this kid is good at math or science." But if you're told that it's a famous piece by Matisse, suddenly it's, "Wow, that's really interesting and creative."

Same with these unis. If your 12-year-old cousin shows you this:

"Hey check out this TeamBuilder uniform I made!"

Miami-Pro-Combat2.jpg

...you insincerely respond, "Yeah, pretty neat." But you're shown the same exact thing presented as THE NEW NIKE PRO COMBAT UNIFORMS, and now you're praising them as the next revolution in sportswear design.

I think all those uni's shown (miami, tech, TCU, are f'ing UGLY) over time, they will be called the same...black shoes, red socks tucked inot shoes, white shoes/red stipes, etc..those are subtle changes i'm not totally against...but the diarreha of Uni's coming out now? please...it's a GIMMICK...a DISTRACTION...a way to SELL sh#t...

how did the 'awesome', 'different', 'trendy', 'cool' uniforms help VT win against a bronco? not very much...

I like the black socks just fine. In the end socks are something I am glad is just left up to the unity council. Don't mind too much one way or the other and it's best the players play something they like to play in.

I am surprised about the stripes. I thought that we were GOING for the more shoulder stripe look, although it did look a bit "in between" say, Rams shoulder stripes and classic horizontal ones. The cut explains it. It looks kind of weird though being in that awkward in between. I suppose it's a little avant garde.

I'd like to see a zany uniform for just a game.

Have we not used all-whites since CU '07? I thought we had once or twice. I miss those. They looked good, real good.

CU '07 was the last time, I liked the look of them quite a bit too, the biggest reason being the full length white socks and the white/red trim on the shoes.

I think all those uni's shown (miami, tech, TCU, are f'ing UGLY) over time, they will be called the same...black shoes, red socks tucked inot shoes, white shoes/red stipes, etc..those are subtle changes i'm not totally against...but the diarreha of Uni's coming out now? please...it's a GIMMICK...a DISTRACTION...a way to SELL sh#t...

how did the 'awesome', 'different', 'trendy', 'cool' uniforms help VT win against a bronco? not very much...

At the same time, those 'awesome', 'different', 'trendy', 'cool' uniforms DID help a Bronco beat VT ;)Boise+State+vs.+VT.JPG

Being completely honest, I love the way our jerseys look right now. Those subtle changes made all the difference, especially moving the numbers to the top of the shoulders. The only thing better would be if everyone followed T-Mart and Rex's style with the white socks and white shoes.