Analysis

Lil' Red

I hear what folks are saying about the wake-up call, about being vanilla before conference play, all of that.

A couple of frets from a guy who really believes this team is well-coached with immense talent and can run the table:

Last week, Watson was promising how we'd see that Martinez could make the throws when he had to and was talking about how Martinez might be the best QB Watson's been around. Wow, did that not happen. Even the long passes to open guys were badly underthrown. The Jackrabbits of Brookings put more pressure on our guy than we put on theirs.

Carl Pelini was crowing about how the defense fools quarterbacks into feeling like the pocket is collapsing. Opposing QBs rush throws and step into sacks, he said. Bo seemed relaxed, like the program had arrived, and talked about how we don't want to play this level of school anymore.

I thought this coach talk was unusual for three games into a season and for having just given up 21 points to an unranked opponent. Correct me if you've heard that kind of thing before from top programs. I never heard Osborne or McBride talking like that.

I think the coaches let the guys lose their edge and hunger.

I worry that the linebacker injuries are a bigger deal than we've acknowledged. I think the D lacks leadership and fire, particularly on the line. Crick seemed to just be standing around at times last night, not stepping up to set a tone. I LOVE our secondary. It's an NFL secondary. But if a team makes them tacklers after breaking through the D line, great coverage is pretty irrelevant.

K State is an undertalented but gritty team that keeps winning in the fourth quarter. They have the nation's leading rusher and are going to be very encouraged by what SD State did to us. They also beat UCLA, which beat Texas in Austin which is no small thing, turnovers aside.

Texas is super athletic on defense. I think we can handle their QB pretty well, but I am not sure we can block them.

I hope my worries are for nothing. I think the talent is there for Nebraska and SD State may be a wake-up for the coaches and the lines.

Bo did come out afterwards and take the blame and really didn't seem angry. You may be right.