Against the Run: F-

Against the Pass: F-

Special Teams: F-

Play Calling: F-

Game Management: F-

Overall: :facepalm:

The Bad: Anything and everything

The Good: We won...

Final Analysis: We played like (insert expletive).

For one, there is no Z on the grade scale. F is the lowest. 2nd, glad you wasted your time with this post. All a sudden we're the worst team ever. Might as well give Callahan a call and beg him to come back.

Relax. A bit of frustration is felt on many levels in regards to this game. I am sure he is not saying that the sky is falling. Also, lets be real, we did not play up to the level we should have.

Oh i hear ya, i was predicting a mello 35-0 or something of the sort, so even this was closer than even i expected. But i totally disagree with anyone who's gonna dog it as an area of concern. All the parts were there for a disaster tonight with the hype leading up this week and a 1-AA opponent (yes, that's what it is, and it's what it always will be) with conference schedule coming up, so obviously there was little to 0 focus on tonights game. We got with the w, i dont think the injuries are something the wont heal in a week and a half, and i believe we still have not put a spec of the playbook on the tape for others.

A learning experience for our team and fans.

The kids bought into everything being said I think, and did not think this team could play with them. I think Bo knew this was going to be tougher than most expected.

It is good we made it though it and we will learn from it is my guess. Thank God it was SDS and not KState tonight.

We have time to correct the attitude and the kids will be more prepared for other games down the road after this.

Look for the positives, not the negatives. WE won and are 4-0, all goals are in still possible. Keep your heads up.

+1.

I feel like this team really needed a brought-back-down, learning experience type of game. This was the perfect time for it.

Could be the best thing for us.

The kids bought into everything being said I think, and did not think this team could play with them. I think Bo knew this was going to be tougher than most expected.

It is good we made it though it and we will learn from it is my guess. Thank God it was SDS and not KState tonight.

We have time to correct the attitude and the kids will be more prepared for other games down the road after this.

Look for the positives, not the negatives. WE won and are 4-0, all goals are in still possible. Keep your heads up.

+1.

I feel like this team really needed a brought-back-down, learning experience type of game. This was the perfect time for it.

no doubt, we are lucky that our letdown game was still a win. hopefully we stay focused for the rest of the season.

We blame it on things are not normally as bad or as good as they seem. Kids were seeing stars and thinking they were better than they thought. This will put their heads back in their helmets. I am sure by morning this will really sink in, and a new attention to detail will come from it. You never get too high or too low.

But I will say that South Dakota came to play tonight. I wish I would have been there to hear how our fans applauded them as a lot were Nebraska born and bred. They had everything to play for and my guess this is the biggest boost in ticket sales they will every have.

We need to give credit to those kids and staff as they truly did a great job preparing for Nebraska.

+1.

Thanks zoogies. I need that attitude desperately. :koolaid2:

We blame it on things are not normally as bad or as good as they seem. Kids were seeing stars and thinking they were better than they thought. This will put their heads back in their helmets. I am sure by morning this will really sink in, and a new attention to detail will come from it. You never get too high or too low.

But I will say that South Dakota came to play tonight. I wish I would have been there to hear how our fans applauded them as a lot were Nebraska born and bred. They had everything to play for and my guess this is the biggest boost in ticket sales they will every have.

We need to give credit to those kids and staff as they truly did a great job preparing for Nebraska.

It was typical Nebraska good sportsmanship. During the game they were "the enemy" but after the game was over we gave them a Standing O as they went off the field. I sat in the South Stadium for the first time in over a decade and was able to stand up and applaud the opponent as they left. It was fun. The Jackrabbits loitered for a second in front of their fans to give them props for cheering so loudly, and we kept the ovation up the whole time.

I hear what folks are saying about the wake-up call, about being vanilla before conference play, all of that.

A couple of frets from a guy who really believes this team is well-coached with immense talent and can run the table:

Last week, Watson was promising how we'd see that Martinez could make the throws when he had to and was talking about how Martinez might be the best QB Watson's been around. Wow, did that not happen. Even the long passes to open guys were badly underthrown. The Jackrabbits of Brookings put more pressure on our guy than we put on theirs.

Carl Pelini was crowing about how the defense fools quarterbacks into feeling like the pocket is collapsing. Opposing QBs rush throws and step into sacks, he said. Bo seemed relaxed, like the program had arrived, and talked about how we don't want to play this level of school anymore.

I thought this coach talk was unusual for three games into a season and for having just given up 21 points to an unranked opponent. Correct me if you've heard that kind of thing before from top programs. I never heard Osborne or McBride talking like that.

I think the coaches let the guys lose their edge and hunger.

I worry that the linebacker injuries are a bigger deal than we've acknowledged. I think the D lacks leadership and fire, particularly on the line. Crick seemed to just be standing around at times last night, not stepping up to set a tone. I LOVE our secondary. It's an NFL secondary. But if a team makes them tacklers after breaking through the D line, great coverage is pretty irrelevant.

K State is an undertalented but gritty team that keeps winning in the fourth quarter. They have the nation's leading rusher and are going to be very encouraged by what SD State did to us. They also beat UCLA, which beat Texas in Austin which is no small thing, turnovers aside.

Texas is super athletic on defense. I think we can handle their QB pretty well, but I am not sure we can block them.

I hope my worries are for nothing. I think the talent is there for Nebraska and SD State may be a wake-up for the coaches and the lines.

Huskerextra has a more realistic grade on last night's game:

RUNNING GAME ( C )

South Dakota State did a solid job of slowing down Taylor Martinez -- something no other opponent has been able to do in this young season. The Jackrabbits were also in the Nebraska backfield a few too many times. The Huskers finally seemed to find a rhythm in the third quarter, thanks to sophomore Rex Burkhead. Roy Helu never got on track.

PASSING GAME ( D )

Maybe Shawn Watson jinxed Martinez when the NU offensive coordinator said earlier in the week that Martinez is the best passer he's been around and that everybody will see it. Well, we're still waiting. Martinez and his arm continue to be a work in progress, which isn't unexpected of a redshirt freshman. Which are most troubling? The short-hopped throws to open receivers or the perfectly placed balls to the opposing team? Cody Green didn't exactly establish his arm, either. (Especially after missing an open Brandon Kinnie for a huge gain)

AGAINST THE RUN ( C )

Nebraska has yet to completely shut down an opponent's running game. The No. 55 national rank in run defense reflects that. (Going against KSU and Daniel Thomas, this frightens me) But South Dakota State ranked 101st -- in the FCS -- in rushing entering Saturday's game, and the Jackrabbits were collecting 4- and 5-yard runs throughout the game. Running up the middle on NU seems to be working for foes.

AGAINST THE PASS ( A )

Another interception for cornerback Alfonzo Dennard. Who knew that Nebraska would relish it in the fourth quarter of a game against South Dakota State? The Huskers may not have produced any sacks, but they did pressure and bother quarterback Thomas O'Brien, who entered the game having thrown five interceptions this season.

SPECIAL TEAMS ( B )

Nothing glaring either way, save for some decent return yardage by South Dakota State. Alex Henery came through as he always does. His 43-yard punt with 3:29 remaining pinned the Jackrabbits at their 3-yard line. Like Dennard's interception, we didn't expect a 30-yard field goal in the fourth quarter would be needed for some breathing room on this night.

PLAY CALLING ( B )

Nebraska didn't show very much, which is fine, but why not run up the middle a little bit more? Nebraska had success there when it tried, particularly late in the game. The Huskers weren't as successful in trying to run to the outside.

GAME MANAGEMENT ( B )

Nebraska coaches didn't hesitate to put Green in the game deep in Nebraska territory. Remember Green's fumble last week deep in NU territory? Green apparently doesn't. He secured the football this time. Green is also good at getting yards on a QB sneak, and yards is what NU needed backed inside its 1.

OVERALL ( C )

Is Nebraska not that good after all, or did the Huskers simply overlook South Dakota State? Here's guessing it's the latter, but whatever the case, this game was troubling. Just when you thought Nebraska was the class of the Big 12, this clunker against an FCS school will raise a few more questions. Can Martinez win games with his arm? Does the fact Green took over in the fourth quarter indicate anything? Nebraska has some time to reflect before trying to take Manhattan one final time.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_0e310b76-c917-11df-9ab6-001cc4c002e0.html

Jackrabbits did what everyone should have expected them to do on Offense. Control the clock, keep the ball out of the Huskers hands, run the ball, and pass only when you need to. Thats the type of the gameplan one should have against a Husker team whose offense can score quickly and take control of the game, and a defense that is shotty against the run but has a very good secondary.

Grades:

Running Game: F-

Passing Game: F-

Oline Play: Z-

What are you going to say after we run the table

Grades:

Running Game: F-

Passing Game: F-

Oline Play: Z-

Pretty much, except that Henery did have a couple of nice moment, and Adi kicked well. Oh, and the entire defensive backfield played well. Their receivers were pretty much blanketed the entire game. It took either an amazing throw or an amazing catch for them to complete a pass.