Concerns

zoogs

Disclaimer: I was thinking this post up around halftime, when I fully expected us to still blow these guys out.

Bo Pelini: "We didn't execute."

That's a good summary of what happened today. But I have concerns regardless of how we did today. Today we overlooked an opponent. I trust Bo completely to motivate these guys at the right times. We'll get over this, no problem. Compiled below are what I see as reasons we should worry.

1) Clock control. I think I've noticed this in every game this year. We score quickly, we've let other, weaker teams control the clock significantly to the point where we haven't run a whole lot of plays. This is something that hurts our defense, because of quick turnarounds and repeated opportunities for the other team's offense. Not a make or break deal. It's sort of the side effect of Taylor's big play ability at QB - huge runs, quick punts. But this is something that could land us in trouble if we don't get some more clock control.

2) Reliance on the big play. As an offense, I strongly feel we have to be consistent. Through three weeks, I actually wondered if we can just keep counting on Taylor ripping off 60 yard runs week in, week out. This week, we saw him not doing that on the ground, but he still had two BIG plays through the air to McNeil and Reed that gave us our points. Without that, what do we have? A lot of quick punts and not a lot of points? Sounds like a recipe for being blown out by a good team with the right makeup. The big play is beautiful...but I feel we have relied on it too much.

3) Defense. Just kidding. No concerns here. I'm sure Bo has plenty of concerns. I trust Bo will take care of them. Our secondary? Sick.

4) Taylor's reads and consistency. I think on some zone reads over the past 2 weeks, he missed some reads and kept the ball when he shouldn't have. This week, he got stuck. Something that he has got to improve upon, and just give the ball to Roy or Rex when that's what the right read is. Also, on three occasions now this week and last week, we've gotten into a 3rd and long hole and Taylor has bailed us out on a pass completion. That is reassuring, that he's been able to do that. I hope he shores up the consistency though so we don't get into those situations.

5) What happens when Taylor falls to earth. Taylor rushed 14 times today for 76 yards. That is VERY solid running, 5.4 yards a carry. That's a fine running game by any measure. Past 3 games, he's averaged more like 10+ yards a carry. And we've been happy. Is this what is going to happen once Taylor gets back down to averaging "very good" yards per carry?

6) O-Line. Often comes back down to this. Didn't watch the game, but did our OL get handled today?

7) What the team is made of. I think we outclassed SDSU in every way today. But they had all the momentum early, got geeked up and never let go of it really. How's our team's mental toughness? If we get a bad start in the future, how will we be affected?

8) Blackshirts. Have we ever NOT had a letdown the week after the blackshirts were handed out? Makes me wonder...hope Bo goes back to handing them out before the season.

I think we can beat a LOT of teams this year, especially after having faced the adversity we did today. The only big question I have is: if we rely on Taylor to this extent, what's going to happen in a NCG or a CCG when we play for all the marbles, against an Oklahoma or an Alabama or an Ohio State? I hope nobody takes this as me pushing the panic button and predicting a lot of losses. Not yet.

I'll leave off with another good quote from Bo, talking about Lavonte David's 19 tackles.

Bo Pelini: "This goes well beyond statistics."

Disclaimer: I was thinking this post up around halftime, when I fully expected us to still blow these guys out.

That's a good summary of what happened today. But I have concerns regardless of how we did today. Today we overlooked an opponent. I trust Bo completely to motivate these guys at the right times. We'll get over this, no problem. Compiled below are what I see as reasons we should worry.

1) Clock control. I think I've noticed this in every game this year. We score quickly, we've let other, weaker teams control the clock significantly to the point where we haven't run a whole lot of plays. This is something that hurts our defense, because of quick turnarounds and repeated opportunities for the other team's offense. Not a make or break deal. It's sort of the side effect of Taylor's big play ability at QB - huge runs, quick punts. But this is something that could land us in trouble if we don't get some more clock control.

2) Reliance on the big play. As an offense, I strongly feel we have to be consistent. Through three weeks, I actually wondered if we can just keep counting on Taylor ripping off 60 yard runs week in, week out. This week, we saw him not doing that on the ground, but he still had two BIG plays through the air to McNeil and Reed that gave us our points. Without that, what do we have? A lot of quick punts and not a lot of points? Sounds like a recipe for being blown out by a good team with the right makeup. The big play is beautiful...but I feel we have relied on it too much.

3) Defense. Just kidding. No concerns here. I'm sure Bo has plenty of concerns. I trust Bo will take care of them. Our secondary? Sick.

4) Taylor's reads and consistency. I think on some zone reads over the past 2 weeks, he missed some reads and kept the ball when he shouldn't have. This week, he got stuck. Something that he has got to improve upon, and just give the ball to Roy or Rex when that's what the right read is. Also, on three occasions now this week and last week, we've gotten into a 3rd and long hole and Taylor has bailed us out on a pass completion. That is reassuring, that he's been able to do that. I hope he shores up the consistency though so we don't get into those situations.

5) What happens when Taylor falls to earth. Taylor rushed 14 times today for 76 yards. That is VERY solid running, 5.4 yards a carry. That's a fine running game by any measure. Past 3 games, he's averaged more like 10+ yards a carry. And we've been happy. Is this what is going to happen once Taylor gets back down to averaging "very good" yards per carry?

6) O-Line. Often comes back down to this. Didn't watch the game, but did our OL get handled today?

7) What the team is made of. I think we outclassed SDSU in every way today. But they had all the momentum early, got geeked up and never let go of it really. How's our team's mental toughness? If we get a bad start in the future, how will we be affected?

I think we can beat a LOT of teams this year, especially after having faced the adversity we did today. The only big question I have is: if we rely on Taylor to this extent, what's going to happen in a NCG or a CCG when we play for all the marbles, against an Oklahoma or an Alabama or an Ohio State? I hope nobody takes this as me pushing the panic button and predicting a lot of losses. Not yet.

I'll leave off with another good quote from Bo, talking about Lavonte David's 19 tackles.

Taylor's missed zone reads were more apparent to me this week than weeks past. I also agree that we seem to be looking for the homerun play instead of just playing football. SD State gave our future opponents the play book on shutting us down down today.

Taylor's missed zone reads were more apparent to me this week than weeks past. I also agree that we seem to be looking for the homerun play instead of just playing football. SD State gave our future opponents the play book on shutting us down down today.

Despite KState escaping UCF. I bet their licking their chops.....

It was a weird day for college football thats for certain.

Absolutely shocking performance.

Hung over from Washington, looking ahead to KSU, or not very good. I'm not sure.

Regardless of taking a day off (if that is what happened), we should still have the talent and athleticism to easily beat a Division 1aa team.

Did Niles Paul have a catch tonight? I know we didn't throw too much, but can he not get open against SDSU?

Here's another one: QB Rotation.

Bo just said "He's our starting quarterback, no question."

Really Bo? Actions speak louder than words. If he's our guy that you are behind so much, he needs to sit through the end of this game and show some life. Now we have a week+ layover and Martinez's last game action was throwing an interception and getting yanked. A young QB needs to have more confidence shown in him if he really is our guy.

Here's another one: QB Rotation.

Bo just said "He's our starting quarterback, no question."

Really Bo? Actions speak louder than words. If he's our guy that you are behind so much, he needs to sit through the end of this game and show some life. Now we have a week+ layover and Martinez's last game action was throwing an interception and getting yanked. A young QB needs to have more confidence shown in him if he really is our guy.

I bet at the time Taylor was thinking he lost the starting job. Really messes with a kids confidence. But Green didnt look much better if at all.

Were SDSU preparing for this game from the start of the season? Find it somewhat hard to believe that they lose to the teams they played if they were playing like they did tonight. They came in jacked up and popped us in the mouth, we responded with those two quick touchdown drives but then left off of the accelerator almost to the point that they slammed on the brakes.

I'm not worried about our inspiration going into the Big XII schedule, I have faith in Bo, I'm more worried about our freshman QB going forward.

This game was classic NU-SDSU; Pre-Devaney era that is.

The good news is we can play like crap and still pull out

a win as opposed to the Iowa State game last year.

If SDSU had opened up their playcalling earlier or gotten a

couple of breaks this game could have become a real

disaster.

Hope this is presented to the team by the coaches unambiguously....

Agreed. I also think Taylor made some horrible throws today (not even talking about the interceptions). He missed some wide open receivers out there.

IDK what happened to the O-line's tenacity. They were so insistent on pounding the rock down Washington's throat, yet they couldn't generate any push today. Our line should have been blowing them off the ball.

Our run defense is still suspect. Props to the secondary.

Nile's still has butterfingers, and I don't think Taylor looked his way once in the passing game.

Taylor still has butterfingers.

Injuries.

To sum up, my concerns are many.

Agreed. I also think Taylor made some horrible throws today (not even talking about the interceptions). He missed some wide open receivers out there.

IDK what happened to the O-line's tenacity. They were so insistent on pounding the rock down Washington's throat, yet they couldn't generate any push today. Our line should have been blowing them off the ball.

Our run defense is still suspect. Props to the secondary.

Nile's still has butterfingers, and I don't think Taylor looked his way once in the passing game.

Taylor still has butterfingers.

Injuries.

To sum up, my concerns are many.

Niles Paul has disappointed me all year. I have never bought into the hype the occasionally surrounds him. I really wanted to believe, but he is not a consistent playmaker. He lacks concentration (butter fingers). It seems like he is never open either. Is this lazy route running...I don't know? For the stats junkies, please refrain from posting Niles stats to support your weak argument, unless they can some how track HEART, which this kid seems to lack. My vote goes to Brandon Kinnie. He seems to be developing into the go to guy.

It appears Niles Paul plays hard when he wants. I don't think he feels like it this year.

I think our Peso defense is very susceptible to the run game. We are too dam light (weight wise). We should have played more of a 5-2 front last night.

I think the QB job should be back up for grabs. Taylor had a ton of mis-reads, one was so obvious the broadcasters noticed it and they were morons.

If I was the SDST coach I would be pissed because I would ask his team where that effort was all season.

Finally, I watched a lot of football yesterday cause I'm under the weather. I don't see any dominant team in college football right now.