What-Son and Rose....

tmfr15

I thought this last week, and continue to think this.... UDUB is 1-2 on the season. One of those losses came to BYU, a team that is on a three-game losing streak to Air Force, FSU and Nevada. UDUB's only victory came to, wait for it, Syracuse, which is 3-1 on the strength of wins over Akron, Maine and Colgate.

These facts, and today's results, tend to trump the good tidings that were felt after the UDUB win.

Damage control is as follows... At least Nebraska won. The Huskers have a dynamic QB. The RBs are good. Our D, for the most part, did just fine.

My comment on the Watson thing always has a play calling element to it, but, moreover, I think the sentiments of Blackshirt39 are right on here. We need to be more disciplined in how we execute the game plan. That goes directly to Watson and the members of his offensive staff. Discipline is taught. So either the message from the coaches is bad or the players are bad. I am just having a hard time believing the second option there.

Nebraska's inability to get a push up front and run the ball down hill is alarming. I am desperately hoping it was because this game was hard to get up for and that we simply under performed. The possible reality, however, is that our line was over hyped after playing THREE bad non conference teams. Give credit to SDST for putting up a good fight, but we can't be anything but embarrassed after that display.

P.S. A loss to SDST would have been the worst defeat in the history of the Huskers' proud program. So this close call should STING.

Hercules, so, we can't be mad about the offense. You do realize that Delaware.....DELAWARE scored 26 on SDST. And no one is saying JACKS about how GOOD Watson is doing because he isn't, hasn't been, and never was, DOING GOOD. We had some explosive plays last week. Congrats to our O. We had some good luck against an Arizona team that looked completely uninspired last year in the bowl game. What else has Watson done?

Until further notice......WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

Everybody loved the pass plays to MM and KR, but the fact was that we never went after the heart of the SDST defense. We needed to establish the run with a 12-play, grind it out, drive it down your through style whipping. When the fourth quarter rolled around, we would have whatever we wanted both in the pass and the run game.

Running from sideline to sideline with every run play and running QB all the time is the reason why we never did that. We have a solid stable of backs. POUND THE FREAKING ROCK.

And don't quote the percentage bull either. First drive of the second half...Helu rush for six, pass incomp., pass incomp., PUNT....UNACCEPTABLE

The OP does have a pretty valid point. Granted, im going to wati to see how the whole season develops but if this continues then Watson needs to go. Watson is too stubborn to keep running whats doing well and has to revert back to the zone read all the time. We have seen that way too many years, an offesnive coodinator needs to adapt to whats been working and run plays accordingly. Ok, our offense did good last week..against Washington. We did well against arizona in our bowl game, of course they werent playing motivated (much like us today) because they lost a heartbreaker to oregon, in which they would have won the pac 10. But what good teams has watson really scored on? when has his playcalling became unpredictable? He runs the zone read 10 times a game, heck he even ran it a lot last year with zac lee. We have a good set of backs and a fast qb, why dont we run some more i form, strong, ace, etc and just run it downhill without getting too fancy? Hopefully, we see results the rest of the year becaue if not then he definately needs to be gone.

Watson only knows one formation and that's the zone read. Right now we are relying on Martinez to do too much when we got two amazing running backs that can make plays too. Somebody should tell Watson that we have some fullbacks and tight ends that can line up in front of the running backs and run the ball north and south down their throats. We run the zone read way too much IMO

Somebody should tell Watson that we have some receivers who would like to catch the ball, too.

We are running the zone read this much because it's Taylor's strong suit. Don't like it? Too bad - Taylor is the guy. This is the direction that Bo wants the offense to go in.

Shawn What-Son needs to actually commit to running the football. SDST should have been worn down by the fourth quarter. No doubt we had the size and strength advantage up front, but we passed too much and when we did run it was the sideline crap. Run it down their throat. Please!!!

Watson needs to commit to running the football? How about a gameplan of 75% run, 25% pass. That's what it was today, and you can look it up. Funny thing is on another board Watson was being criticized for sticking too stubbornly to the run. It's hardly the case that the running game was shut down anyway. 47-201, 4.3 average. Take away that last loss to run out the clock by Helu, and it's 46-211, 4.6 average. Apparently, when you have a strong running game but can't move the ball through the air consistently, an output like this can happen.

People just will not like Watson, period.

People just don't like crap results, period.

People don't like crap results, but people don't want to blame Taylor Martinez not being the star Quarterback they hoped for, so they blame Watson instead :)

I hope you don't get this as throwing Taylor under the bus. I was not shocked by Taylor's performance, mainly because I think since the beginning of the season I was asking for patience with a guy that was going to rip some big gainers on the ground, but be mighty inconsistent through the air. He did bad today, but if the team showed up to play today, especially up front in the trenches where the battles are won, then in spite of Taylor's misreads, we'd win by 30+ and nobody would be panicking as much.

My comment on the Watson thing always has a play calling element to it, but, moreover, I think the sentiments of Blackshirt39 are right on here. We need to be more disciplined in how we execute the game plan. That goes directly to Watson and the members of his offensive staff. Discipline is taught. So either the message from the coaches is bad or the players are bad. I am just having a hard time believing the second option there.

Offensively and defensively, we had no gameplan tonight. Literally.

People don't like crap results, but people don't want to blame Taylor Martinez not being the star Quarterback they hoped for, so they blame Watson instead :)

I hope you don't get this as throwing Taylor under the bus. I was not shocked by Taylor's performance, mainly because I think since the beginning of the season I was asking for patience with a guy that was going to rip some big gainers on the ground, but be mighty inconsistent through the air. He did bad today, but if the team showed up to play today, especially up front in the trenches where the battles are won, then in spite of Taylor's misreads, we'd win by 30+ and nobody would be panicking as much.

Tmart played like crap. So did Green. So did the whole bloody offense. Gee, who is the OC??

I was listening to B. Stai & M. Davidson on the post game radio (I didn't see the game) and their take was that the Oline was blocking well but there simply wasn't enough bodies to block everyone. I know....I know....this is HuskerBoard and SW is never responsible for anything. But if we're consistently running plays that freakin South Dakota stuffs us over & over because they've outmanned us what does that tell us?

This offense is electrifying when it's on but to say the least it's very, very inconsistent and even worse lacks any kind of power running game or identity. zoogies.....an honest question.....how long do the excuses last?

I didn't watch the game, but I though the OL was reported to have done poorly? I don't think Watson's job is to anticipate how many rushers there are. If there aren't enough blockers to handle all the rushers, I believe that is on the quarterback not being able to see that before the play and accounting for it.

I know....I know....this is HuskerBoard and SW is never responsible for anything.

On the contrary, on message boards SW is held responsible for things that he isn't actually responsible for. I don't see how the 'victim' card is being played here, since you are definitely in the majority, by quite a lot.

This offense is electrifying when it's on but to say the least it's very, very inconsistent

That's what you ask for with Taylor. You just gotta count on his electrifying ability being worth it. You always touted the dimension a running QB gives us. Well, Taylor had a very good day on the ground today. Still, I say we've yet to see what will happen when Taylor has a bad day. The entire team had a bad day today, or rather, they didn't take the game very seriously, all coaches included. I still say if the team brought it, but Taylor was just shut down, we would have blown SDSU out anyway. So I'm by no means declaring that his explosion is not worth it.

If you want consistency...I could bring up another quarterback's name and his fall camp, but I don't think you would like it. So, don't get me wrong, I love Taylor's running ability. We just need the entire team to execute. I think we have a good system here, and the team just took a week off, which is on everyone, but starting from the head coach.

Why is it that some people blame bad offensive play on the players and some blame it on the OC?

Personally i give Shawn Watson his credit, when credit is due. He doesn't deserve credit this time, but he doesn't deserve to be strung up like a pinata.

I find it ironic that we scored 59 points on Washinton and 17 on SDST. Maybe the two should be switched?

But nevertheless, the only consistent offensive producer on the field last night was Rex Burkhead, Roy tried and failed (didn't get much help from the O-line). Taylor tried but tried too hard, mistakes happen when a playmaker like Taylor Martinez tries too hard (Its why im very cautious of young playmakers).

Personally I would like to see someone ask Watson why we are still seeing QB's locking on to recievers? What are his feelings on locking on recievers and how does he coach his QB's to break them from that habit. I think we can all agree that locking on to certain recievers is a bad thing, so why after two seasons of seeing new QB's are we still seeing it.

yes the entire team had a bad day and Bo, like a man, took responsibility for it. He also served notice that he expects more from his players.

SO: the players on offense didn't play real well, without passion, didn't really execute...THERE. I blamed the players for not playing real well.

THEREFORE: if Bo takes overall responsibility, then so does Watson have to bare his fair share as well. I don't think he's all crap. But his offensive PLAYCALLING leaves me completely befuddled. We cannot rely on 57 yd TD runs all season. Where was some misdirection? Where was some inside trap blocking? Where was some jumbo set playaction? At the end of the game we ran a toss sweep. It was the first time ALL game we outnumbered an inferior opponent on the edge and let our outstanding backs sprint and get upfield. I would love to see the percentage of running plays where our RBs take a lateral step opposed to where their first step is a downhill one. Watson isn't crap, but he isn't that great either. He just isn't

How the hell did Rose get into the stadium? Did he have a "will work for free" sign around his neck and hired up by the loser network carrying this game? Bo should ignore this little flea after Rose's well known comment saying Bo should never be a head coach. Rose go chase Pederson to Pitt and interview their loser head coach.

First and foremost, a play isn't a bad play if it works. People want to call out Watson's play calling, but the fact of the matter is if it works than nobody says anything about it. It wasn't just Watson, it wasn't just Martinez, and it wasn't just the offensive line. Hell, it wasn't even just the offense. The defense played poorly at times again as well, especially on the ground. SDSU was getting more consistent yards on the ground against the blackshirts than we were against a team with an imaginary mascot...

That said, I was disappointed this week with the play-calling in the sense that I was REALLY impressed with the playcalling last week. We ran the football seven straight times down the throat of a defense with better athletes, and we scored a touchdown. Martinez made plays on the read and so did the backs. In yesterday's game, almost every time Martinez kept it, it appeared he had made the wrong read on the play. I also saw a couple of times where if he had handed the ball, it would have gone for a huge gainer (I remember seeing him fake the hand off to Helu and Helu got tackled 10 yards down field because the defender thought he had the ball).

I think Watson tried to get a little too interesting at times last night. What we did against Washington is what we should have done against SDSU, but we didn't. Hopefully, this serves as a lesson to Watson and Bo about what they need to do to win games offensively.