What-Son and Rose....

tmfr15

I was waiting or someone to put this effort on Watson. It's like clockwork when something goes bad. :lol:

Could not have been because of that pathetic offensive line effort that could get zero push against a severely overmatched DL from South Dakota State. Nor could it be because we have a QB, and I use that term loosely, who has little idea of where to go with the ball when his 1st read is not open.

Nope, we couldn't run, could not we pass, and could not block - but Watson still needed to do something. :thumbs

So how many times does this need to happen before it is his problem then? One thing is for sure, he doesn't coach discipline.

Hey, our offense dominates for 3 games[\b], but no one says a peep about how good of a job Watson is doing. We struggle for a game, and suddenly we have a problem. :facepalm:

We struggled - the ENTIRE team did. For suddenly Watson to be singled out is stoopid. Yes, stoopid.

I wouldn't say that we dominated Idaho especially on offense. We only scored 24 pts on offense and had 8 fumbles but lost 3. Statistically we did well running the ball but failed to put enough points on the board.

We did well against WKU a team who didn't win a game last year and against Udub which surprised quite of few fans and football gurus. Watson did good those two games but this offense better not get inconsistent like it did last year. If we play the rest of the schedule like we played against SDSU last night we won't win a lot of games. The entire team didn't play awful it was just the whole offensive team besides Burkhead and Kinnie. That falls on the coaching staff especially Watson who should understand which plays are working and ones that are not. A lot of Martinez throws were all down field and not much on the sidelines. Let him feel comfortable and gain confidence throwing and completing short passes and then throw it down field and we didn't see that last night.

I just hope that going into that game that we overlooked SDSU getting ready for K-Sucks.

I was waiting or someone to put this effort on Watson. It's like clockwork when something goes bad. :lol:

Could not have been because of that pathetic offensive line effort that could get zero push against a severely overmatched DL from South Dakota State. Nor could it be because we have a QB, and I use that term loosely, who has little idea of where to go with the ball when his 1st read is not open.

Nope, we couldn't run, could not we pass, and could not block - but Watson still needed to do something. :thumbs

So how many times does this need to happen before it is his problem then? One thing is for sure, he doesn't coach discipline.

Hey, our offense dominates for 3 games, but no one says a peep about how good of a job Watson is doing. We struggle for a game, and suddenly we have a problem. :facepalm:

We struggled - the ENTIRE team did. For suddenly Watson to be singled out is stoopid. Yes, stoopid.

Watson still has a lot to prove to some fans for Nebraska. After last year, it's easier for people to get on his case about something than to praise the work of his offense.

First and foremost, a play isn't a bad play if it works. People want to call out Watson's play calling, but the fact of the matter is if it works than nobody says anything about it. It wasn't just Watson, it wasn't just Martinez, and it wasn't just the offensive line. Hell, it wasn't even just the offense. The defense played poorly at times again as well, especially on the ground. SDSU was getting more consistent yards on the ground against the blackshirts than we were against a team with an imaginary mascot...

That said, I was disappointed this week with the play-calling in the sense that I was REALLY impressed with the playcalling last week. We ran the football seven straight times down the throat of a defense with better athletes, and we scored a touchdown. Martinez made plays on the read and so did the backs. In yesterday's game, almost every time Martinez kept it, it appeared he had made the wrong read on the play. I also saw a couple of times where if he had handed the ball, it would have gone for a huge gainer (I remember seeing him fake the hand off to Helu and Helu got tackled 10 yards down field because the defender thought he had the ball).

I think Watson tried to get a little too interesting at times last night. What we did against Washington is what we should have done against SDSU, but we didn't. Hopefully, this serves as a lesson to Watson and Bo about what they need to do to win games offensively.

I think we are seeing what happens when you want to design a run heavy option attack but do it by simply decreasing Wats West Coast offense playbook but not truly revamping the offensive philosophy. My take is that Bo tasked Wats to set something up that did not depend on Lee's ability to operate an intricate passing offense. he wanted more "smash mouth".

If you watched the Texas UCLA game, they talked about the bold move of UCLA scraping their entire offense, going to Nevada under coach Auldt and learning the. Pistol. Now they are far from a great team, but they are getting the offense down and showed that if you shut down the passing game they can run over you in that scheme. I don't see us having made such a commitment to change. We thought we could plug a fast shifty QB into the same offense and just run the zone read to championships. I don't think that will get it done. We have the backs and QB for a great option attack. if they had the commitment of Ga Tech, Navy or Air Force, and practiced it all spring and summer to make it a well oiled machine, they could likely run on most everybody. Instead we just tweaked things and a FCS school shut it down. Our offense needs the threat of a credible passing attack. Our. QB is not capable of making the throws and decisions to pull it off. Our receivers are average at best. Look for lots of loading the box and man coverage until we switch qbs. We are neither fish nor foul with the O and rode the novelty of a very quick first year qb to three early wins until the D of SDSU showed how easy it was to stop. Back to the drawing board, and it too late to put in an optimal offense for the personnel. Look for musical QBs.

Teams have bad games, other teams play over their heads certain games, I think we had the perfect storm last night.

SDS had a lot of kids (12 Nebraska kids) living for this game since it was on the schedule, that attitude most likley became infectious and it showed last night.

I think we took them too lightly, not only at the player level, but the coaching staff also. Talking about this type of team should not be on our schedule, lessoned our intensity and motivated South Dakota.

We are a good football team, how good, no on really knows. I do not see reason to worry at this time. I have learned over 55 plus years of being a Nebraska fan, things happen, not normally as bad as we think or as good as we think. We need to give Bo our support so he can correct what happend from top to bottom, and I think he will.

Calmness grasshopper.

First and foremost, a play isn't a bad play if it works. People want to call out Watson's play calling, but the fact of the matter is if it works than nobody says anything about it. It wasn't just Watson, it wasn't just Martinez, and it wasn't just the offensive line. Hell, it wasn't even just the offense. The defense played poorly at times again as well, especially on the ground. SDSU was getting more consistent yards on the ground against the blackshirts than we were against a team with an imaginary mascot...

That said, I was disappointed this week with the play-calling in the sense that I was REALLY impressed with the playcalling last week. We ran the football seven straight times down the throat of a defense with better athletes, and we scored a touchdown. Martinez made plays on the read and so did the backs. In yesterday's game, almost every time Martinez kept it, it appeared he had made the wrong read on the play. I also saw a couple of times where if he had handed the ball, it would have gone for a huge gainer (I remember seeing him fake the hand off to Helu and Helu got tackled 10 yards down field because the defender thought he had the ball).

I think Watson tried to get a little too interesting at times last night. What we did against Washington is what we should have done against SDSU, but we didn't. Hopefully, this serves as a lesson to Watson and Bo about what they need to do to win games offensively.

I think we are seeing what happens when you want to design a run heavy option attack but do it by simply decreasing Wats West Coast offense playbook but not truly revamping the offensive philosophy. My take is that Bo tasked Wats to set something up that did not depend on Lee's ability to operate an intricate passing offense. he wanted more "smash mouth".

If you watched the Texas UCLA game, they talked about the bold move of UCLA scraping their entire offense, going to Nevada under coach Auldt and learning the. Pistol. Now they are far from a great team, but they are getting the offense down and showed that if you shut down the passing game they can run over you in that scheme. I don't see us having made such a commitment to change. We thought we could plug a fast shifty QB into the same offense and just run the zone read to championships. I don't think that will get it done. We have the backs and QB for a great option attack. if they had the commitment of Ga Tech, Navy or Air Force, and practiced it all spring and summer to make it a well oiled machine, they could likely run on most everybody. Instead we just tweaked things and a FCS school shut it down. Our offense needs the threat of a credible passing attack. Our. QB is not capable of making the throws and decisions to pull it off. Our receivers are average at best. Look for lots of loading the box and man coverage until we switch qbs. We are neither fish nor foul with the O and rode the novelty of a very quick first year qb to three early wins until the D of SDSU showed how easy it was to stop. Back to the drawing board, and it too late to put in an optimal offense for the personnel. Look for musical QBs.

Wow.....what a great post.

We have no commitment or identity whatsoever. We just tweaked the WCO and bloody SOUTH DAKOTA STATE stuffed it like sardines in LINCOLN. Niether fish nor fowl we remain.