Lee Speaks

Here's Christopherson's article about Lee. Click the headline for the full article.

Zac Lee remains a positive force for Nebraska

He ought to have some pretty good answers for those post-college job interviews. That's what Zac Lee thinks.

Yes sir. Nebraska's senior quarterback has experienced some things.

He talked about some of those things after Monday's practice. He spoke with an assured tone and couldn't help but smile when asked what he's gained as a person these past two years.

"Well, after going through last year and this ... I'm sure I could walk into an interview and say, ‘Nothing that's going to happen in this business is going to be necessarily as bad as anything I've experienced,'" Lee said. "It's taught me a lot about myself. It's taught me you can persevere through a lot. And there's never any reason to give up, you always just keep pushing."

That's what he was telling Taylor Martinez just the other day.

Keep pushing.

The kid who took Lee's job had a bad game. Turned the ball over three times against South Dakota State. It was the first time the critics had really come out to shake their heads at the redshirt freshman.

Lee knows about those critics. So what advice does Lee give to Martinez after a game like that?

"You just tell him things get better, just keep your head about yourself. (Stuff) happens," Lee said. "What are you going to do? You just have to bounce back from it."

Stuff happens. (Tweak that phrase as you want.)

But it's how you respond to that stuff that defines you, right?

How do you respond when you started 12 of 14 games last year and then find out at the end of fall camp you're No. 3 on the depth chart behind two younger guys?

How do you respond then?

"Bo (Pelini) and I told him we totally understood his situation," Husker offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. "We told him the options are it can become a negative and you can really let it hurt you, really take away from your senior season. Or you can be ready and be a positive force on the team."

Lee chose the latter.

Work hard. Be a leader. Cast his support behind Martinez and sophomore Cody Green.

"He's been unbelievable," Watson said. "I couldn't ask more out of a guy who's been in his situation. ... He has been totally into it, heart and soul."

Lee has played in just one game so far this year. Two series. Eleven plays.

But he said he's preparing the same as he did last year.

"You've got to be ready; it's football," Lee said. "Life is about 20 percent of what actually happens to you and 80 percent of how you react to it. I'm just trying to do the best I can and improve myself and be there for my teammates."

First of all great article, glad to see that Zac is taking this well and taking the leadership role. The kid is in a tough spot, but like he said he has to go out and practice and be ready, still think this is an offense with no identity yet and i mean that saying if NU gets down by a touchdown or two in the 3rd qtr and the run is doing nothing, I don't quite have the faith in Martinez to use his arm in a comeback, but boy do I hope he proves me wrong!

Green is not better than Lee. In fact the grading process through the fall camp says that Green and Tmart are not better than Lee. Bo says they are because he likes their style and Bo is the only thought that counts.

That being said, the "competition" throughout fall was graded and Lee had the best grade.

Bo Liked the fact that Tmart beat his defense with his feet.

Bo wants the kind of offense we are moving towards.

Run first, run second, run last, and Tmart and Green do that better.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Tmart threatens to take his ball and go home

At the end of the day, Lee is 3rd. Not because he is worse but because..............................

1. Bo wants a run first QB because he believes his Defense can win games and a runnin QB is what he wants

2. Lee can't be 2nd string because if he is it would create more of a QB controversy. If Tmart struggles the 2nd stringer comes in. If that is Lee and all of a sudden we get a few completions and Helu and Rex have success it will make the situation worse. Bo cannot have Lee coming in to save the day he simply can't. Not after overriding the O Coordinator's decision on starting QB and QB depth chart. The depth chart is completely reversed today than it would be if Watson made the decision.

The saddest part is with our talent, our schedule, and all of the other positives we have for this year, we may very well throw a Big 12 and possibly a NC opportunity away because of our head coaches stubborness.

Well, you can diss Bo until the cows come home.

But "if" you're saying Bo is throwing away the BigXII Championship and a possible NC because Lee isn't starting, well.....that is crazy. Lee is tough as leather and a great kid but our offense was nothing basically nonexistent last year. Of course that wasn't all on Lee at all but there's little to suggest Bo is wacked for going with Tmart. It's Bo's team and if he thinks we have to be able to run the ball to win big then that's his full right to do exactly that. Bo is in charge, not the OC.

Now why he's not 2nd string is a damn good question with Green continuing to look hopeless. I don't have any certain answers to that. If he doesn't get some snaps real soon (assuming Green doesn't magically turn it around pronto) something is very, very wrong. For now, I just gotta believe he really thought Green had the far higher upside and expected him to shine on the field. Heck, I thought he would too.

But he didn't and it hasn't been pretty. I bet we see Lee take over 2nd string very soon (like....probably "now") and I don't buy for a second that Bo's ego would rather NU lose than play Lee as you state.

The real season starts now.

All i did was read Travis' post and i KNEW this response was coming.

Well, what's your problem this time?

First of all great article, glad to see that Zac is taking this well and taking the leadership role. The kid is in a tough spot, but like he said he has to go out and practice and be ready, still think this is an offense with no identity yet and i mean that saying if NU gets down by a touchdown or two in the 3rd qtr and the run is doing nothing, I don't quite have the faith in Martinez to use his arm in a comeback, but boy do I hope he proves me wrong!

I am not arguing that Tmart is not the best choice for what Bo wants.

I didn't word the thing as well as I would Like so I will try again.

1. I don't think Bo wants to lose anything. My point was more to the following. At some point I believe we are going to have to be able to throw the ball effectively to win games. It would be a travesty if Tmart was struggling to get it done and we didn't go to Lee at that point. Think about it though. Watson wanted Lee. What kind of mess would we have if Tmart struggled at Lee came in and saved the day. That is why Green is second.

2) the other things are true,, believe them or not. ganz doesn't like Lee. Lee graded out the best in fall. again, i am not saying Tmart isn't the best option, my question relates more to why Lee is 3rd and not 2nd. How does a guy that graded out first end up third string. Not starting I can see, but 3rd string come on. the only logical explanation is that since Bo made the call, he can't have the O-Coordinator's top choice coming in to save the day.

Yea, this is not a situation that usually happens. Incumbent starter, senior, good head on his shoulders, grades out on top in fall camp - and he gets buried on the depth chart in favor of a volatile freshman with big-play, big-oops written all over him. It can work out well for us if it does, but it's just an odd situation.

Not considering Taylor or Zac or anything. Normally, QBs that grade out higher win competitions. This is a gamble. Long term, could work out beautifully for us. But it is a gamble.

1. I don't think Bo wants to lose anything. My point was more to the following. At some point I believe we are going to have to be able to throw the ball effectively to win games. It would be a travesty if Tmart was struggling to get it done and we didn't go to Lee at that point. Think about it though. Watson wanted Lee. What kind of mess would we have if Tmart struggled at Lee came in and saved the day. That is why Green is second.

2) the other things are true,, believe them or not. ganz doesn't like Lee. Lee graded out the best in fall. again, i am not saying Tmart isn't the best option, my question relates more to why Lee is 3rd and not 2nd. How does a guy that graded out first end up third string. Not starting I can see, but 3rd string come on. the only logical explanation is that since Bo made the call, he can't have the O-Coordinator's top choice coming in to save the day.

The second logical explanation is that Green is the second best running QB and Pelini has elevated that feature of a player to a high level, whereas I'm guessing Watson's system would be Management, throwing, running––in that order. If you look at the guys Pelini has been recruiting, they're all playmakers with their feet. Everyone saw this coming a mile away. Lee is at best serviceable but his play throughout '09 proved that he's not going to be the threat on the ground we'd all hoped. He's a throw first QB in a run first offense. In short, and very unfortunately, he's yesterday's newspaper.

I really feel like Green gets the snaps beacause he will be here (unless he transfers) for a couple more years and the coaches know that he needs the game reps, but if Martinez goes down, Lee will probably be THE guy. The experience that he brings to the table cannot be downplayed and I honeslty feel like if the game is still in question, Lee will be the guy to get things done.

We did see that game, SDSU, and Green still got the nod, even though he couldn't get the ball down the field.

Obviously, someone on the staff doesn't like Lee or what he brings to the table.

The second logical explanation is that Green is the second best running QB and Pelini has elevated that feature of a player to a high level, whereas I'm guessing Watson's system would be Management, throwing, running––in that order. If you look at the guys Pelini has been recruiting, they're all playmakers with their feet. Everyone saw this coming a mile away. Lee is at best serviceable but his play throughout '09 proved that he's not going to be the threat on the ground we'd all hoped. He's a throw first QB in a run first offense. In short, and very unfortunately, he's yesterday's newspaper.

Exactly, x. This is where the conspiracy "doghouse" theory falls apart. Much as I love Lee, there is absolutely no way a rational person can look at his running ability and compare it favorably to that of Martinez or Green. Bo has obviously recruited running QBs, and Lee is simply not a running QB. Zac will be the last of our West Coast Offense QBs, and while it's unfortunate that he's buried in the depth chart after his service last year, that's the way the wind is blowing.

I'll even take it a step further and say I won't be shocked that when Lee goes, Watson goes, too. Watson is clearly fond of the passing game, a position Bo does not appear to appreciate. Bo wants a run-heavy scheme, and as an "insider" told me during this past offseason, the bottom line with Watson is simply this - how bad does he need a job? He's running Bo's system here, not his own, and if he's worth his salt at all (which I think he is), he'll move on and run his system somewhere else.

That is of course assuming all of our offensive woes last year were Lee's fault which isn't the case although many here like to think it so. And your 21 point, stretch the field theory is a wonderful idea, but Martinez as your hero only works up to last week against SDSU - a high caliber opponent much like VT and Texas - where the Huskers didn't score 21 points, relied on field goals to guarantee the win, where Martinez threw a couple interceptions, put quite a few balls in the dirt (both passing and fumbling) and Martinez didn't really run all that well (compared to past performances.) I have yet to see Martinez "stretch" the field with his passing ability and based on what I've seen so far I'm not so sure that he can. He's a home run threat on the ground, but a well rounded quarterback capable of beating teams both on the ground and through the air? Not so much.

Putting up high numbers and beating 3 or 4 not so good teams at the beginning of the year does not a season make and also doesn't do a thing to prove or disprove how good the Huskers could or would have been if Martinez was quarterback last year (see the 2009 season as evidence for judging how the first 4 games of a season can be used to effectively predict offensive performance against Big XII opponents). In contrast to your supposition above, I say that with Martinez as quarterback last year the Huskers actually lose a couple games they won with Lee at the helm while not necessarily prevailing over VT or Texas.

As far as Bo being paid "a lot of money to win football games, PERIOD!!!!" so were Weiss and Callahan and a myriad of other not so great college coaches. I'm not saying Bo is a Weiss or a Callahan (I think he's off the charts better) but being paid a lot of money to do something doesn't always mean you're great or even good at what you do, it just means you're paid a lot to do it.

I agree with you. While Zac may not have played great last year, he was the only decent passer we had. We saw how Cody did. I would guess that those games at Mizzou and at KU would maybe not have been wins.

I do like the fact that we are getting back to a more run oriented offense, but at the same time they have to throw the ball equally well, and to me T-Mart and CG give me the collective :o when the ball goes through the air. Excited to see how Big 12 play will shape our offense for the rest of the season.

I really feel like Green gets the snaps beacause he will be here (unless he transfers) for a couple more years and the coaches know that he needs the game reps, but if Martinez goes down, Lee will probably be THE guy. The experience that he brings to the table cannot be downplayed and I honeslty feel like if the game is still in question, Lee will be the guy to get things done.

We did see that game, SDSU, and Green still got the nod, even though he couldn't get the ball down the field.

Obviously, someone on the staff doesn't like Lee or what he brings to the table.

We were never really threatened in the SDSU game. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that I suspect that we will never again see a game like we saw against the Jackrabbits. There were some things that happened that I found... "fishy." Let's just say that.

I would agree that Watson is gone at the end of the year but not for reasons you are stating. It will be due to the fact that no Offensive Coordinator with his resume wants to stay at a job where he doesn't have a say in the offense.

Bo is running his offense and it is not in line with Watson's. Watson would have Lee starting if it were his choice, Lee is 3rd. Watson isn't a bad coach. There are reasons why other great coaches at great programs want him (see Nick Saban). Why would he or should he stay at a place where the offensive philosophy is completely different that his.

That is why he leaves, because he is a puppet, no more no less.

I guess that really is along the same lines as your thought process.

If I was Watson I would leave too.

I would agree that Watson is gone at the end of the year but not for reasons you are stating. It will be due to the fact that no Offensive Coordinator with his resume wants to stay at a job where he doesn't have a say in the offense.

Bo is running his offense and it is not in line with Watson's. Watson would have Lee starting if it were his choice, Lee is 3rd. Watson isn't a bad coach. There are reasons why other great coaches at great programs want him (see Nick Saban). Why would he or should he stay at a place where the offensive philosophy is completely different that his.

That is why he leaves, because he is a puppet, no more no less.

I guess that really is along the same lines as your thought process.

If I was Watson I would leave too.

That sounds about right to me. Any chance we could pay someone enough to take Gilmore too?

Lee is handling this situation like a true leader. It is similar to the way Todd Boekman handled being passed over for Terrelle Pryor at Ohio State in 2008. Boekman could have sulked and quit but instead he took the high road for the team and did whatever he could to help Pryor develop.

Tmart threatens to take his ball and go home

I guess the comparisons to Crouch don’t end on the field.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

I don’t think Joey Ganz likes any other person who plays or played Quarterback besides Joey Ganz. <_<

I would agree that Watson is gone at the end of the year

Please oh please don’t promote Barney if this happens. :facepalm: