Lee Speaks

Speaking of running into Huskers, I saw Bo running downtown at lunch. I was pretty shocked because I thought he was doing the presser right then, but later I found out it was rescheduled. I was in the sandwich shop when Bo ran by. Dude moves pretty quick for an old fart.

You mean crusty old fart ;)

Here's an extended audio interview, courtesy of Sam McKewon.

http://www.huskerlocker.com/blogs/official/nebraska-football-zac-lee-audio-3806

"You just tell him things get better, just keep your head about yourself," Lee said. "S--- happens. What are you going to do? You just have to bounce back from it."

Haha - you get to hear this, without the censors.

Zac's a good interview. These were some tough questions about a sensitive situation and he handled it slickly. Everyone should listen to this, it's pretty interesting. Whoever the reporters were, they didn't really hold back.

I ran into Zac once again (third time now) at the store just after the SDSU game. He was, of course, very friendly and approachable. I lobbed a couple of questions at him like, "Dude.... what was that?" I didn't have any prepared questions, of course, so I just said what came out first. As you can guess, Zac was very supportive of the team, and with a charming smile just said, "No comment." He said the team was fine and that it wasn't our night. Typical stuff from a guy who's spent a lot of time in front of reporters.

We talked a lot about the SDSU crowd. Zac's dad was there and we all said how amazed that the Jackrabbit crowd was so vocal, and of course how nice they were. You can see where Zac gets his class from; his dad was cool, too.

I have nothing but good things to say about Lee. He's a class guy all the way. I wish he could start a game again, but I doubt he does. It's been covered in posts above, but he's not riding the bench because he sucks.

Speaking of running into Huskers, I saw Bo running downtown at lunch. I was pretty shocked because I thought he was doing the presser right then, but later I found out it was rescheduled. I was in the sandwich shop when Bo ran by. Dude moves pretty quick for an old fart.

Which sandwich shop, if you don't mind? I was at Oso burrito and saw him jogging by not too long ago. Some lady tried to like half wave at him as though she knew she should be embarrassed and Bo just gave her a nod.

I really feel like Green gets the snaps beacause he will be here (unless he transfers) for a couple more years and the coaches know that he needs the game reps, but if Martinez goes down, Lee will probably be THE guy. The experience that he brings to the table cannot be downplayed and I honeslty feel like if the game is still in question, Lee will be the guy to get things done.

Which sandwich shop, if you don't mind? I was at Oso burrito and saw him jogging by not too long ago. Some lady tried to like half wave at him as though she knew she should be embarrassed and Bo just gave her a nod.

I was at Jimmy John's and he came down 14th from campus then turned west down O.

I wish I could see for myself what the healthy Lee looks like but unless he is a huge improvement over what we saw last year I'm not going to question his #3 status. I would like to see Lee get some more reps to see what he can do for myself. My guess is that the improvement from Pre to Post injury was not as good as it needed to be. None of us get to see practice and the coaches are not going to be public with details on players. I suppose in a close race Green would get #2 as he fits in with the type of Offense that we are running.

I'm not buying a full order of the Lee-in-doghouse theory. Mostly because I don't need to. Bo wants a power running game in the worst way and Zac is the third best option to establish that from the QB position. At this point, based on what we've seen, he's far and away the best passer but the Washington game demonstrated that if you have a serviceable passer and a great runner, you can hang fitty on a decent team anyway. Our offense is evolving into what I hope is its final form––a baby spread-option. Taylor is far and away the biggest homerun threat to run that system. You don't really need an additional conspiracy to understand why things went down the way they did.

• Fire 2

Green is not better than Lee. In fact the grading process through the fall camp says that Green and Tmart are not better than Lee. Bo says they are because he likes their style and Bo is the only thought that counts.

That being said, the "competition" throughout fall was graded and Lee had the best grade.

Bo Liked the fact that Tmart beat his defense with his feet.

Bo wants the kind of offense we are moving towards.

Run first, run second, run last, and Tmart and Green do that better.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Tmart threatens to take his ball and go home

At the end of the day, Lee is 3rd. Not because he is worse but because..............................

1. Bo wants a run first QB because he believes his Defense can win games and a runnin QB is what he wants

2. Lee can't be 2nd string because if he is it would create more of a QB controversy. If Tmart struggles the 2nd stringer comes in. If that is Lee and all of a sudden we get a few completions and Helu and Rex have success it will make the situation worse. Bo cannot have Lee coming in to save the day he simply can't. Not after overriding the O Coordinator's decision on starting QB and QB depth chart. The depth chart is completely reversed today than it would be if Watson made the decision.

The saddest part is with our talent, our schedule, and all of the other positives we have for this year, we may very well throw a Big 12 and possibly a NC opportunity away because of our head coaches stubborness.

Well, you can diss Bo until the cows come home.

But "if" you're saying Bo is throwing away the BigXII Championship and a possible NC because Lee isn't starting, well.....that is crazy. Lee is tough as leather and a great kid but our offense was nothing basically nonexistent last year. Of course that wasn't all on Lee at all but there's little to suggest Bo is wacked for going with Tmart. It's Bo's team and if he thinks we have to be able to run the ball to win big then that's his full right to do exactly that. Bo is in charge, not the OC.

Now why he's not 2nd string is a damn good question with Green continuing to look hopeless. I don't have any certain answers to that. If he doesn't get some snaps real soon (assuming Green doesn't magically turn it around pronto) something is very, very wrong. For now, I just gotta believe he really thought Green had the far higher upside and expected him to shine on the field. Heck, I thought he would too.

But he didn't and it hasn't been pretty. I bet we see Lee take over 2nd string very soon (like....probably "now") and I don't buy for a second that Bo's ego would rather NU lose than play Lee as you state.

The real season starts now.

• Fire 1

I'm not buying a full order of the Lee-in-doghouse theory. Mostly because I don't need to. Bo wants a power running game in the worst way and Zac is the third best option to establish that from the QB position. At this point, based on what we've seen, he's far and away the best passer but the Washington game demonstrated that if you have a serviceable passer and a great runner, you can hang fitty on a decent team anyway. Our offense is evolving into what I hope is its final form––a baby spread-option. Taylor is far and away the biggest homerun threat to run that system. You don't really need an additional conspiracy to understand why things went down the way they did.

Agreed.

Green is not better than Lee. In fact the grading process through the fall camp says that Green and Tmart are not better than Lee. Bo says they are because he likes their style and Bo is the only thought that counts.

That being said, the "competition" throughout fall was graded and Lee had the best grade.

Bo Liked the fact that Tmart beat his defense with his feet.

Bo wants the kind of offense we are moving towards.

Run first, run second, run last, and Tmart and Green do that better.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Tmart threatens to take his ball and go home

At the end of the day, Lee is 3rd. Not because he is worse but because..............................

1. Bo wants a run first QB because he believes his Defense can win games and a runnin QB is what he wants

2. Lee can't be 2nd string because if he is it would create more of a QB controversy. If Tmart struggles the 2nd stringer comes in. If that is Lee and all of a sudden we get a few completions and Helu and Rex have success it will make the situation worse. Bo cannot have Lee coming in to save the day he simply can't. Not after overriding the O Coordinator's decision on starting QB and QB depth chart. The depth chart is completely reversed today than it would be if Watson made the decision.

The saddest part is with our talent, our schedule, and all of the other positives we have for this year, we may very well throw a Big 12 and possibly a NC opportunity away because of our head coaches stubborness.

Conspiracy theorize much? Jesus.

There's no way Bo would rather NU lose than start Lee. It doesn't mean that this call will work out well for him, though. He may be enamored by one dimension of Taylor's game, and it could be our downfall. Let's hope it doesn't work out that way.

It must also be nice for the tinfoil hatters in that if we don't win the MNC this season––an overwhelming statistical probability, by the way––their position is unfalsifiable. As Unlce Rico says, "I tell ya, if Lee had started all year, no doubt in my mind, we'd have won it all. No doubt in my mind."

I really feel like Green gets the snaps beacause he will be here (unless he transfers) for a couple more years and the coaches know that he needs the game reps, but if Martinez goes down, Lee will probably be THE guy. The experience that he brings to the table cannot be downplayed and I honeslty feel like if the game is still in question, Lee will be the guy to get things done.

Interesting. Although I have never thought of it this way, it makes a little sense.