Lee Speaks

There's no way Bo would rather NU lose than start Lee. It doesn't mean that this call will work out well for him, though. He may be enamored by one dimension of Taylor's game, and it could be our downfall. Let's hope it doesn't work out that way.

It must also be nice for the tinfoil hatters in that if we don't win the MNC this season––an overwhelming statistical probability, by the way––their position is unfalsifiable. As Unlce Rico says, "I tell ya, if Lee had started all year, no doubt in my mind, we'd have won it all. No doubt in my mind."

I'm not really into unfalsifiable claims. If we don't win the MNC, it is what it is. There's no way of knowing if Lee would have struggled or not. If we struggle and drop 3 games this year, and we go back and look at it and attribute at lot of it to a freshman QB being uncomfortable in the face of fire, unable to make the right reads and adjustments, despite putting up some gaudy numbers on the ground, then I think you can really question Bo's decision. Question it.

There's not really a 'conspiracy' here either. Bo doesn't think Zac has it, despite Zac grading out (supposedly) technically as the top man. I guess the conspiracy is that Bo thinks Zac is too soft, but is that much of a conspiracy? It's his judgment call to make on whether Zac's too soft to QB the team or not. It's not like Bo just has it in for the kid, but it could be that he is making a poor decision. That's all up for debate.

Well you also have to play the total picture. Our oline seems to be better at run blocking and our recievers aren't exactly the most dependable bunch. You have two tough tailbacks and you throw in a homerun threat qb and you have a nice offense. I do think we see Lee come in. I don't know if he'll bail us out or not but he may be placed into a game to try to open up the offense a bit.

Well you also have to play the total picture. Our oline seems to be better at run blocking and our recievers aren't exactly the most dependable bunch. You have two tough tailbacks and you throw in a homerun threat qb and you have a nice offense. I do think we see Lee come in. I don't know if he'll bail us out or not but he may be placed into a game to try to open up the offense a bit.

We dont know that our "receivers aren't dependable" I guess for most of them that would be right to say that we dont who the go to guy is. Paul is definately not dependable but I really think that kinnie ie going to be Mr.Dependable. I guess overall we really dont know if we have a dependable group of recievers yet.

Green is not better than Lee. In fact the grading process through the fall camp says that Green and Tmart are not better than Lee. Bo says they are because he likes their style and Bo is the only thought that counts.

That being said, the "competition" throughout fall was graded and Lee had the best grade.

Bo Liked the fact that Tmart beat his defense with his feet.

Bo wants the kind of offense we are moving towards.

Run first, run second, run last, and Tmart and Green do that better.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Tmart threatens to take his ball and go home

At the end of the day, Lee is 3rd. Not because he is worse but because..............................

1. Bo wants a run first QB because he believes his Defense can win games and a runnin QB is what he wants

2. Lee can't be 2nd string because if he is it would create more of a QB controversy. If Tmart struggles the 2nd stringer comes in. If that is Lee and all of a sudden we get a few completions and Helu and Rex have success it will make the situation worse. Bo cannot have Lee coming in to save the day he simply can't. Not after overriding the O Coordinator's decision on starting QB and QB depth chart. The depth chart is completely reversed today than it would be if Watson made the decision.

The saddest part is with our talent, our schedule, and all of the other positives we have for this year, we may very well throw a Big 12 and possibly a NC opportunity away because of our head coaches stubborness.

Travis-You are misguided. Taylor is putting up the best stats for a freshman QB, not just in the Big 12 but in all of college football. Did you ever watch ZL run a zone read left or an option left? A loss of 2 yards or more ever time. Did you ever see ZL throw interceptions to Texas after 2 straight interceptions, not a play or two later, on the very next play. Taylor is the best QB for NU right now and it has nothing to do with stubborness.

Bo makes a lot of money to win football games, PERIOD!!!!!!

Bo knows that if we move the chains, chew some clock and score 21 points, we win nearly ever game we play. When you have a QB that can't stretch the field and you settle for 4 FG's against Texas and 5 FG's against VT and only 7 points against Iowa St, you lose 3 games. If the O scored 21 points against those 3 teams last year, NU wins 13 games and is ranked in the top 5 last year. Think about it, 13-1 last year and a victory on Jan 1st in a BCS bowl if we have a QB like Taylor. If Taylor ran this team last year, we would've won more games than 10.

If Bo like the fact the Taylor beat his top rated defense, then maybe he thinks Taylor is the best QB for the job, PERIOD!!!

Which sandwich shop, if you don't mind? I was at Oso burrito and saw him jogging by not too long ago. Some lady tried to like half wave at him as though she knew she should be embarrassed and Bo just gave her a nod.

I was at Jimmy John's and he came down 14th from campus then turned west down O.

I saw him today, too, while going to class. I was on 14th and Vine going to Oldfather Hall and I'm pretty sure I saw him when he was just starting (he was walking and then looked at his watch and then started jogging).

Which sandwich shop, if you don't mind? I was at Oso burrito and saw him jogging by not too long ago. Some lady tried to like half wave at him as though she knew she should be embarrassed and Bo just gave her a nod.

I was at Jimmy John's and he came down 14th from campus then turned west down O.

I saw him today, too, while going to class. I was on 14th and Vine going to Oldfather Hall and I'm pretty sure I saw him when he was just starting (he was walking and then looked at his watch and then started jogging).

How is everbody seeing bo on the same day? It sounds like all you guys live on the same block or something lol

Green is not better than Lee. In fact the grading process through the fall camp says that Green and Tmart are not better than Lee. Bo says they are because he likes their style and Bo is the only thought that counts.

That being said, the "competition" throughout fall was graded and Lee had the best grade.

Ganz doesn't like Lee

At the end of the day, Lee is 3rd. Not because he is worse but because..............................

1. Bo wants a run first QB because he believes his Defense can win games and a runnin QB is what he wants

2. Lee can't be 2nd string because if he is it would create more of a QB controversy. If Tmart struggles the 2nd stringer comes in. If that is Lee and all of a sudden we get a few completions and Helu and Rex have success it will make the situation worse. Bo cannot have Lee coming in to save the day he simply can't. Not after overriding the O Coordinator's decision on starting QB and QB depth chart. The depth chart is completely reversed today than it would be if Watson made the decision.

The saddest part is with our talent, our schedule, and all of the other positives we have for this year, we may very well throw a Big 12 and possibly a NC opportunity away because of our head coaches stubborness.

:facepalm:

There's no way Bo would rather NU lose than start Lee. It doesn't mean that this call will work out well for him, though. He may be enamored by one dimension of Taylor's game, and it could be our downfall. Let's hope it doesn't work out that way.

It must also be nice for the tinfoil hatters in that if we don't win the MNC this season––an overwhelming statistical probability, by the way––their position is unfalsifiable. As Unlce Rico says, "I tell ya, if Lee had started all year, no doubt in my mind, we'd have won it all. No doubt in my mind."

If Bobby Newcombe had been the starting QB in 2001, we definitely would have won the national championship.

:sarcasm

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Travis-You are misguided. Taylor is putting up the best stats for a freshman QB, not just in the Big 12 but in all of college football. Did you ever watch ZL run a zone read left or an option left? A loss of 2 yards or more ever time. Did you ever see ZL throw interceptions to Texas after 2 straight interceptions, not a play or two later, on the very next play. Taylor is the best QB for NU right now and it has nothing to do with stubborness.

Bo makes a lot of money to win football games, PERIOD!!!!!!

Bo knows that if we move the chains, chew some clock and score 21 points, we win nearly ever game we play. When you have a QB that can't stretch the field and you settle for 4 FG's against Texas and 5 FG's against VT and only 7 points against Iowa St, you lose 3 games. If the O scored 21 points against those 3 teams last year, NU wins 13 games and is ranked in the top 5 last year. Think about it, 13-1 last year and a victory on Jan 1st in a BCS bowl if we have a QB like Taylor. If Taylor ran this team last year, we would've won more games than 10.

If Bo like the fact the Taylor beat his top rated defense, then maybe he thinks Taylor is the best QB for the job, PERIOD!!!

That is of course assuming all of our offensive woes last year were Lee's fault which isn't the case although many here like to think it so. And your 21 point, stretch the field theory is a wonderful idea, but Martinez as your hero only works up to last week against SDSU - a high caliber opponent much like VT and Texas - where the Huskers didn't score 21 points, relied on field goals to guarantee the win, where Martinez threw a couple interceptions, put quite a few balls in the dirt (both passing and fumbling) and Martinez didn't really run all that well (compared to past performances.) I have yet to see Martinez "stretch" the field with his passing ability and based on what I've seen so far I'm not so sure that he can. He's a home run threat on the ground, but a well rounded quarterback capable of beating teams both on the ground and through the air? Not so much.

Putting up high numbers and beating 3 or 4 not so good teams at the beginning of the year does not a season make and also doesn't do a thing to prove or disprove how good the Huskers could or would have been if Martinez was quarterback last year (see the 2009 season as evidence for judging how the first 4 games of a season can be used to effectively predict offensive performance against Big XII opponents). In contrast to your supposition above, I say that with Martinez as quarterback last year the Huskers actually lose a couple games they won with Lee at the helm while not necessarily prevailing over VT or Texas.

As far as Bo being paid "a lot of money to win football games, PERIOD!!!!" so were Weiss and Callahan and a myriad of other not so great college coaches. I'm not saying Bo is a Weiss or a Callahan (I think he's off the charts better) but being paid a lot of money to do something doesn't always mean you're great or even good at what you do, it just means you're paid a lot to do it.

For cryin' out loud, reading the posts in this thread actually makes me sorry I started it.

I like Zac Lee - great guy, team player. But his big-play threat last year was to throw the ball up for grabs and hope that Niles Paul would come down with it. It worked against Kansas and Missouri... Not so much against Texas. Can we stop pretending that we just benched Joe Namath?

For cryin' out loud, reading the posts in this thread actually makes me sorry I started it.

I like Zac Lee - great guy, team player. But his big-play threat last year was to throw the ball up for grabs and hope that Niles Paul would come down with it. It worked against Kansas and Missouri... Not so much against Texas. Can we stop pretending that we just benched Joe Namath?

LoL benched Joe namath good one. I just think that Lee would be the best option if T-martinez gets hurt I know that our offense would run totally different but I think that we are better off reconstructing our whole offense and taking it to the operating table with zac lee.

I would much rather use Zac as plan B I don't have a single grain of confidence for cody green.He cant hit the side of barn with the football and all he has is straight line speed,and he isn't even very fast to begin with. He has horrible butter finger and he either overthrows his recievers or throws it behind them at 100 mph.

• Fire 1

Ganz doesn't like Lee

Well, you can diss Bo until the cows come home.

But "if" you're saying Bo is throwing away the BigXII Championship and a possible NC because Lee isn't starting, well.....that is crazy. Lee is tough as leather and a great kid but our offense was nothing basically nonexistent last year. Of course that wasn't all on Lee at all but there's little to suggest Bo is wacked for going with Tmart. It's Bo's team and if he thinks we have to be able to run the ball to win big then that's his full right to do exactly that. Bo is in charge, not the OC.

Now why he's not 2nd string is a damn good question with Green continuing to look hopeless. I don't have any certain answers to that. If he doesn't get some snaps real soon (assuming Green doesn't magically turn it around pronto) something is very, very wrong. For now, I just gotta believe he really thought Green had the far higher upside and expected him to shine on the field. Heck, I thought he would too.

But he didn't and it hasn't been pretty. I bet we see Lee take over 2nd string very soon (like....probably "now") and I don't buy for a second that Bo's ego would rather NU lose than play Lee as you state.

The real season starts now.

All i did was read Travis' post and i KNEW this response was coming.