Is Carl Pelini a top 20 Defensive Coordinator?

NUance

Not sure how long others have been DC, but I suspect time on the job is part of it. It may be that Bo is getting all the credit. It could also be that some are crediting Suh with the terrific year last year.

It won't matter as long as we play well in conference. At some point the recognition will come if deserved.

when some school tries to hire carl away from us, i will be sure to bring this list to their attention in hopes of dissuading their pursuit.

Dooley at Tennessee tried.

why would he want Carl? he is not even a top 20 defensive coordinator according to rivals.

see what i did there.

• Fire 1

I think we should all prepare ourselves for the reality that this staff is bound to change sooner or later. Carl has a pretty good gig going. But like most successful coordinators, most aspire to greater heights, more $, head coaching job, etc, etc. Carl, Watson, Ek, JP, Gilmore, Beck all will have opportunities in the near future. Hell, even our gazillionaire volunteer intern will have offers made to him. I'm sure i've missed others...We have been very fortunate to have the staff continuity that we've had. Hopefully he and Bo's relationship will keep him here for a long time.

BTW- Hasn't he made his HC aspirations public? i was thinking he had but couldn't remember....

when some school tries to hire carl away from us, i will be sure to bring this list to their attention in hopes of dissuading their pursuit.

Dooley at Tennessee tried.

why would he want Carl? he is not even a top 20 defensive coordinator according to rivals.

see what i did there.

Good lookin out SD

Rivals 2010 Defensive Coach Power Rankings

1 . . . Kirby Smart . . Alabama

2 . . . Dick Bumpas . . TCU

3 . . . Norm Parker . . Iowa

4 . . . Tom Bradley . . Penn State

5 . . . Will Muschamp . . Texas

6 . . . Bud Foster . . Virginia Tech

7 . . . Jim Heacock . . Ohio State

8 . . . John Chavis . . LSU

9 . . . Ellis Johnson . . South Carolina

10 . . Brent Venables . . Oklahoma

11 . . Nick Aliotti . . Oregon

12 . . Pete Kwiatkowski . . Boise State

13 . . Mark Stoops . . Florida State

14 . . Vic Fangio . . Stanford

15 . . Matt Wallerstedt . . Air Force

16 . . Tim DeRuyter . . Texas A&M

17 . . Teryl Austin . . Florida

18 . . Kalani Sitake . . Utah

19 . . Manny Diaz . . Mississippi State

20 . . Chuck Bullough . . UCLA

linky

And all this time I thought Carl was one of the best DCs around. Go figure.

do you ever read rivals?

the rule for defensive coordinator rankings is that they must be the MAIN defensive mind of the team.

obviously carl doesn't qualify because bo is the one who runs the defense. we all know he's obviously a top 20 d-coordinator but he doesn't qualify for the rivals rankings.

linky

do you ever read rivals?

the rule for defensive coordinator rankings is that they must be the MAIN defensive mind of the team.

obviously carl doesn't qualify because bo is the one who runs the defense. we all know he's obviously a top 20 d-coordinator but he doesn't qualify for the rivals rankings.

ANd that's why Rivals sucks. If they think that Brent Venables at OU, or Kirby Smart at Alabamba are the "Main defensive minds," they're retarded.

That list is a joke.

While it's hard to argue against Smart as #1, I'd have Muschamp at #2. He inherited a disaster of a defense and immediately turned it into a top 25 defense, and in his third year we're #9 in the nation and #1 in the conference. But the guy at TCU is doing a better job because they can keep the Mountain West from lighting up the scoreboard? Mkay.

And Pelini is definitely top 10 and probably top 5. Seriously, how is Venables on this list and Pelini isn't? How is that possible when OU's defense has sucked for two years now while Nebraska's has been great? OU has only held one opponent out of five under 20 points this year, while Nebraska is #7 in the nation in points allowed. But Venables is a top 10 DC and Pelini isn't even top 20?

That list is a joke.

While it's hard to argue against Smart as #1, I'd have Muschamp at #2. He inherited a disaster of a defense and immediately turned it into a top 25 defense, and in his third year we're #9 in the nation and #1 in the conference. But the guy at TCU is doing a better job because they can keep the Mountain West from lighting up the scoreboard? Mkay.

And Pelini is definitely top 10 and probably top 5. Seriously, how is Venables on this list and Pelini isn't? How is that possible when OU's defense has sucked for two years now while Nebraska's has been great? OU has only held one opponent out of five under 20 points this year, while Nebraska is #7 in the nation in points allowed. But Venables is a top 10 DC and Pelini isn't even top 20?

But in Scoring Defense, you're 40th in the nation and 5th in the Conference (NU is 7th and 1st respectively in Scoring Defense) No doubt Muschamp is a great D-Coord but in 2010 so far, your defense is struggling. That's why I have a hard time with him being ranked so high.

linky

:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:LOLtartar:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound:laughpound

:bs::wtf

This list is laughable. Zero thought was put into this list.