Nebraska-Oklahoma talking about possible future football series

Nexus

Most of our fans talk history and tradition, but unless it was last week has no relevance. Giving up the Oklahoma game is hard pill to swallow, most Nebraska fans understand the rivalry, the love hate releationship and the admiration each program has for the other, but hey just throw it out with the bath water, no loss.

Most of our fans talk history and tradition, but unless it was last week has no relevance. Giving up the Oklahoma game is hard pill to swallow, most Nebraska fans understand the rivalry, the love hate releationship and the admiration each program has for the other, but hey just throw it out with the bath water, no loss.

i am confused, why are we bathing a rivalry?

Ooooooooooo....wait'll Texas finds out. OU is gonna be in truuuuuuuuuuubble!

I would love a non-con series with OU. I think UT would want it to so that it would give OU another chance to possibly lose besides the game against them. If OU did agree to this and potentially some kind of long term series I think it would be a shot right at UT indicating that OU does hold some negative feelings about the end of the NU/OU rivalry.

On the other hand - I don't see Nebraska scheduling this kind of series. Especially looking at our 2011 schedule with the Big 10 and the possibility of 9 conference games a year looming. Not that we should schedule cup cakes, which I know Bo and TO don't want, but I can't see making one of those non-con's a game against a Oklahoma caliber EVERY year. 2 years in a row, maybe yes. but doubt anything longer.

Just because you youngsters grew up in an era where we didn't play OU every year doesn't mean most Husker fans don't remember that series fondly. You guys too young to remember those games are in the minority.

And while it's true that the RRR is a bigger game for Oklahoma, it's also true that they LOVE them some Nebraska, too. I talked to a ton of their fans this last fall when they were here and every single one of them was clear about how much they miss the every-year game with us.

We don't have to be Oklahoma's #1 Rival to have a good series with them. Until the last 15 years, the RRR game was just for show - not a lot on the line, and Texas more often than not wasn't a great team against OU. The most impactful game the Sooners played most every year was against NU, for the Big 8 title and a trip to the Orange Bowl. Believe me, they remember those days fondly.

Just wait a few more years and that won't be the case.

I lived in OK for several years and the majority of the fans I knew where pretty apathetic when it came to NU. If they're fans have moved on, I think it's time for us to move on as well.

Just because you youngsters grew up in an era where we didn't play OU every year doesn't mean most Husker fans don't remember that series fondly. You guys too young to remember those games are in the minority.

And while it's true that the RRR is a bigger game for Oklahoma, it's also true that they LOVE them some Nebraska, too. I talked to a ton of their fans this last fall when they were here and every single one of them was clear about how much they miss the every-year game with us.

We don't have to be Oklahoma's #1 Rival to have a good series with them. Until the last 15 years, the RRR game was just for show - not a lot on the line, and Texas more often than not wasn't a great team against OU. The most impactful game the Sooners played most every year was against NU, for the Big 8 title and a trip to the Orange Bowl. Believe me, they remember those days fondly.

Just wait a few more years and that won't be the case.

I lived in OK for several years and the majority of the fans I knew where pretty apathetic when it came to NU. If they're fans have moved on, I think it's time for us to move on as well.

also, knapplc is using a skewed sample. if they are coming to the NU game, obviously they care about the game, but what about the fans that decided to just stay home? what do they think? you just cannot sustain a rivalry with a team you play twice every four year.

I wonder if the NU/OU series could turn into a long term series like what A&M and Arkansas recently agreed upon? A&M and Arkansas renewed their long lost rivalry after having not played each other from 1992-2008 when Arkansas left for the SEC. They recently signed a long term contract that guarantees 10 consecutive meetings starting in 2009 with an option to continue playing an additional 20 consecutive years after the original 10 year contract is up. The Arkansas/A&M game is played at Cowboys stadium.

I hope so. Oklahoma was almost the only reason any of us felt even a little bad about leaving the Big 12.

Exactly.

Disagree. OU turned their back on our rivalry game when the Big 12 was formed. While the historic games/rivaly was great and normally had Big 8 and National Championship implications, I no longer care if we play them. Once in a while, sure, but I'd rather keep the Kansas streak going.

It really pains me to say this, because I used to live for the Husker/Sooner game each year. It was one of the greatest rivalries in all of college sports, and I was darn privileged to witness those years. Not to sound cliche, but all good things really do come to an end. After we move to the Big Ten, it will be a time to look forward--not backward. I think the best that we can do is look back to the past fondly and hope that we can build a new rivalry in our new conference that invokes the same passion as Oklahoma did. We will never be able to re-kindle a yearly rivalry with them, so let us try to move on and not dwell on things that are futile.

Believe me--after we give a school like Michigan or Ohio State their first bloody nose (or vice versa), those same passions are going to heat up very quickly between schools. I loved Huskers versus Sooners as much as anyone, but I know that I have to let it go.

I look forward to it and like the idea of playing the game during the 50th anniversary of the game of the century.

Yet I think that far down the road some of the relevance of the history of the series will be lost. Heck many young fans look at the championship run of the 90's as ancient history.

I look forward to Coaches Pelini and Stoops on the sidelines in their rocking chairs. ;)

I am old enough to remember the 1978 game, and all the other memorable moments in this rivalry since then. But I am over it. OU decided to move on when the Big 12 was started and I think it's time NU decides to do the same. The Big 10 holds a bright future for us with plenty of rivalries brewing.

As a life-long Sooner fan, I can only tell you this: anyone who says OU fans do not want to continue the historic rivalry with Nebraska, or have "moved on," or don't care about it any more, either doesn't know the first thing about what most Oklahoma fans think, or they live in Stillwater.

The rivalry with Texas was/is because we despise them; the rivalry with Nebraska was because we respected them.

Here's hoping the two schools can work it out so that it eventually returns as a staple game for us every year, regardless of the fact that it'll be non-conference.

(P.S. - You heard it here first: Oklahoma will not be in the pitiful shell of what's left of the "Big 12" by the end of this decade. There is already much, much grumbling at levels high & low throughout Sooner Nation about the idiotic decision to keep us in the Big 1-, err, I mean, the Longhorn Conference in the first place.)