Ubben's Mailbag

Hope this hasn't been posted yet but...

ESPN Big 12 Blog

Just a couple of interesting Q & A's

Patrick in St. Louis, Mo., writes: As a Mizzou alumn and follower, it hurts me to say this, but after watching last nights game, I would have to think you need to include Nebraska's #3 in the Heisman discussion. Not looking forward to seeing him on Halloween against the Tigers.

David Ubben: Completely agree, and if you're a fan of a team with Nebraska on its schedule, last night had to be really unnerving. He's going to be every bit the game-changer he looked last night plenty throughout his career.

Derek in Nebraska asks: How does Nebraska barely pass at all and they probably attempted less than 75 passes this whole season how can they do it with just the run and wouldnt teams catch on or something

DU: And they should pass because...? Martinez isn't a great passer just yet, but he's average -- at worst. He's looked pretty good on intermediate routes, even if he's a little inconsistent, but he's far beyond functional and he's going to get better fast. The reason Nebraska's barely passed is because no one's made them. Maybe someone will, but I doubt we'll see him toss it around more than 25 times in a game this year. They're better off just forcing the run and waiting for a big play to break than trying to take shots downfield. Martinez is most effective as a runner, but as it stands -- and I looked down the list -- I'd take him over four teams' quarterbacks in the Big 12 solely as a passer. I'll leave it to you to figure out exactly who they are. It's pretty obvious at this point he's surpassed every other quarterback in the conference as a runner, with apologies to Robert Griffin, who is a much better passer at this point in his career.

Ed Miller in Chicago asks: Who wins in a 100m dash, Denard Robinson or Taylor Martinez?

DU: Taylor Martinez. Who loses? Every linebacker in the Big Ten. I honestly feel bad for those guys in the future.

• Fire 1

Derek in Nebraska asks: How does Nebraska barely pass at all and they probably attempted less than 75 passes this whole season how can they do it with just the run and wouldnt teams catch on or something

Profoundly worded, Derek. golfclap.gif

Dear Derek,

You'd think they would. But they don't.

Signed,

Tom Osborne, circa 1995

Amen, brother. :horns2

That letter was hilarious, too. I'm impressed with Ubben's strength of character for not tearing him to shreds on the basis of his poor grammar. Sentences that bad clearly don't deserve a response...

Well some are touting the OSU tailback so that's another opportunity. Don't people like OU's back too?

Yeah, if OSU and Missouri are still undefeated, I'm sure each fan base will be touting Hunter and Gabbert respectively for the Heisman. OU will be touting someone, but it'll probably be Landry Jones more than Broyles or Murray... Other than that, no heisman hopefuls to bust until the bowl game. :lame

Come January, the Blackshirts are going to be hungry.

Profoundly worded, Derek. golfclap.gif

Dear Derek,

You'd think they would. But they don't.

Signed,

Tom Osborne, circa 1995

post-5786-040669100 1286687695.jpg