Chatelain: Dissapointment dogs Huskers in Horns' series

Hercules

LINK

Finally, Texas at Nebraska. How will it turn out? Read on, brave Husker fan, and learn what NU must do to keep this story from ever being written.

From the Omaha World-Herald, Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010:

Bo Pelini walked briskly toward Memorial Stadium's north tunnel, saying nothing to no one, looking nowhere but the turf before him.

Behind him, a herd of Texans gathered at the stadium's southwest corner. They threw up their horns, waited for the band to begin and belted out their traditional battle cry: “The Eyes of Texas.”

When they finished, Texas players loitered on the turf. This was likely the final meeting between Texas and Nebraska for a long, long time, and they wanted to relish their upset win.

“We knew they had a special season going. We knew how bad they wanted to beat us. They couldn't do it,” a Longhorn said. “They'll have to live with that for the rest of their lives.”

Not far away, Pelini's team tried to put its emotion into words.

“We've been thinking about this day forever,” one Husker said. “This is why we worked so hard in the offseason. To come out and fail to execute like that ... I think we wanted to win too bad.”

History smiles on Texas, but Bo Pelini is good at writing new chapters.

Flash Forward

Can Texas do it again?

Husker fanatics may lose sleep this week considering the possibility. Their team, on paper, is better in just about every phase.

Since the tug-of-war in Dallas in December, Nebraska hasn't lost — 6-0. It's a trendy choice for national champion.

Texas is 3-2. Loser of two straight. Unranked for the first time in 10 years.

But this is Texas. And the Longhorns have beaten Nebraska plenty when Nebraska had the better team. Four times since 1996 the Huskers had a higher ranking and lost.

Nebraska is 1-8 overall since the Big 12 formed, and each loss seems a new form of psychological trauma.

In the form of a bold fourth-down conversion to upend a national title shot ('96). Or an 85-yard touchdown drive to ruin a 47-game home winning streak ('98). Or a goal-line fumble, leading to Nebraska's only loss of the year ('99).

Or a last-second interception after a furious rally in Lincoln (2002). Or a last-minute fumble after a furious rally in Lincoln (2006). Or a defensive collapse after racing to a 17-3 lead ('07).

The latest kick in the gut: pushing the undefeated Horns to the limit at the Big 12 championship game, only to see officials restore one second to the game clock. Texas kicked a field goal at the gun and extended Nebraska's drought without a conference championship to 10 years.

Forget the details. Forget the score. A loss this time would be worst of all.

The nightmare

Sometimes the congregation meets at Memorial Stadium on Saturdays out of habit. Social routine — like raising a hand above the steering wheel when you see a familiar car.

This time was different.

In living rooms and office complexes, on street corners and phone calls, they vowed to see Nebraska-Texas if it cost them a week's salary. And they showed up acting like lottery winners — boisterous from the moment they entered the gates.

The tunnel walk was a rush. The first hit intense. And Memorial Stadium turned into an 8-year-old's birthday party when Taylor Martinez dashed 50 yards on the opening drive for a touchdown. 7-0.

But the Horns rallied. Made a few plays offensively. Took advantage of a fumble deep in Husker territory. Texas slowed Martinez on the zone read, and he struggled to hit receivers.

In the end, the decisive blow was a touchdown on special teams.

A new way to lose to Texas.

Pressure shifts

Bo Pelini restored Nebraska under extremely high expectations. We're talking about a program with the highest winning percentage in the country since 1960.

But there's a hint of irony. Pelini's team not once has faced the expectation to beat an elite program.

Nebraska wasn't supposed to beat Oklahoma or Virginia Tech either of the past two years. And it wasn't supposed to beat Texas in Dallas.

Look closer and you'll see that, since 2008, Nebraska played its best football when it wasn't supposed to. When it didn't feel the burden of expectation.

In 2008, Virginia Tech and Missouri humbled the Huskers at home. A week later, with the walls closing in, they went to Texas Tech and nearly shocked a top-10 team.

A month later, Oklahoma embarrassed NU. Nebraska came home and got a gut-check win over Kansas.

In 2009, miserable back-to-back home losses to Texas Tech and Iowa State turned the world upside down. Then Nebraska won five straight.

When no one thought it could beat Texas, it almost did. And when we questioned its ability to respond to the disappointment in Dallas, it drubbed Arizona.

Maybe there's a reason. Pelini, as competitive as any coach in the business, has never shied away from confrontation. His teams — that typically play better on the road — thrive in adverse situations. The Huskers feed off a strong sense of doubt.

This week, Nebraska will not have that weapon in its arsenal. NU is an overwhelming favorite to beat Texas. The tables have turned. Will Nebraska feel the pressure?

All week, Husker players will hear and absorb praise from family, friends and fans. Can't wait to see what you do to Texas, they'll say.

Players will walk onto the field Saturday not with the task of toppling big, bad Texas in enemy territory, but with 85,000 — and millions more on TV — in their back pocket, waiting for them to expose, exploit and punish lowly, limping Texas.

They won't want to win. They'll have to win.

And yet, despite all the good vibes, rosy predictions and tea leaves suggesting this is the week Nebraska gets its revenge, you have to wonder about the orange ghosts. Does doubt dwell somewhere in the back of these Huskers' minds?

Head games

So the psychological challenge exceeds the football challenge.

Bo Pelini has to convince his players they're the better team — but ultimately still disrespected. The Huskers have to feed off the overwhelming support — but not be burdened by it. Tap into the emotion and immensity of the moment — but not be paralyzed by it.

If it works, Taylor Martinez makes Texas look slow and the Blackshirts make Garrett Gilbert look immature and Oct. 16, 2010, becomes a banner day in Husker football history — the day the boys in red sent Texas back to its Big 12 pasture, tail between its hoofs.

The reward for winning is great. The penalty for losing is greater.

They're very dangerous on defense and I'm afraid they will halt our rushing production. Martinez cannot beat Texas with his arm, they have too good a defensive backfield. I really, really, really hope our team doesn't underestimate them because they're 3-2. They have looked forward to this game since the last one ended and they had better come and finish this time. The one thought I cling to is that Texas has a poor offense. No run game and a shaky passing game - our secondary should feast on Gilbert. If we can avoid turnovers and capitalize on opportunities, we should win this. But I am more scared for this game than any. This is the one that we want to win.

Texas is hungry and dangerous right now. They have been prepping for us and are rested...and we know they have talent. That is a tough combination we cannot overlook. This is a HUGE grudge game and we must execute to win. I expect Texas to throw everything they have at us.

We better be ready!

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

I hear you on that. However.... at some point in time this program under Bo has to turn the corner in that regard. Are we really back? I think so, and this is the time to prove it. I cant name on particular example, but it seems in human nature that when one team/person squeezes by another on many occasions that sooner or later it blows up in their face. Now Texas is coming in a wounded duck, a 3 legged horse, and that does make them very dangerous. Their defense has been exposed. Their offense is starting to look like ours of a year ago. With that being said, i think this is when this team really turns the corner by crushing this lowly Texas team. Some say we havent "played anybody" and that Kansas St. and Washington are lowly opponents and they are, which is why the Big Red rolled each of them in their own stadiums. I think (hope :o ) Nebraska comes out on a mission and takes care of business. It's time to relish the fact that we finally are back, and a letdown is just not going to happen, and that now in the 3rd year of Pelini, the attitude and killer instinct is back.

Nebraska comes out on a mission and takes care of business. It's time to relish the fact that we finally are back, and a letdown is just not going to happen, and that now in the 3rd year of Pelini, the attitude and killer instinct is back.

I like it and bolded my favorite parts! I expect our O-Line and D-Line to be after it the entire 60 minutes! Crush 'em!

:bonesflag::throwdabones1::bonez:throwdabones1:

Doesn't matter that UT is 3-2, this is still the game of the year, and they're still the best team on our schedule. We gotta bring our A+ game. I'm not concerned about our guys overlooking Texas, but I'm a little concerned about them trying to do too much. I hope they really do approach this game just like any other game, because if NU starts trying too hard, we could make some costly mistakes against an opportunistic defense.

edit: However, if the 'skers come out and dominate:

1. Party in LINCOLN!!!!

2. I will be convinced that Nebraska is the most complete team in college football.

If Texas is at a 10 year low - it doesn't mean they are dangerous. It means they stink.

Their running game is right there with the likes of Akron, Toledo and 2-4 Tennessee.

Heck KSU had higher averages in yards/game and points scored/game than Texas. And at least KSU beat UCLA.

I want see Horns beaten bad enough that ISU beats them the following week.

Ya' know - an old school thrashing.

:throwdabones1:

GBR!

If Texas is at a 10 year low - it doesn't mean they are dangerous. It means they stink.

Their running game is right there with the likes of Akron, Toledo and 2-4 Tennessee.

Heck KSU had higher averages in yards/game and points scored/game than Texas. And at least KSU beat UCLA.

I want see Horns beaten bad enough that ISU beats them the following week.

Ya' know - an old school thrashing.

:throwdabones1:

GBR!

YES! People need to understand that statement right there. They were great last year, awesome. But this year, they got blown out by UCLA and lost to Oklahoma pretty decisively. Just cause they have a history of being doesnt make them great by default every year. The Cornhuskers were FAR from great during Callahan's era. Bo won't let the team underestimate Texas because this game has been hyped BY BO since the Big 12 Championship game last season, so I fully expect the team to be ready.

why be more afraid of Texas than any other opponent right now?

a: they always seem to find a way to beat us

b: because they would be the worst team to lose to

couldn't be more right, 96, 99 will tell you the answer right there. Those texas teams shouldn't worry us either but they beat us and cost us a NC shot both years.

why be more afraid of Texas than any other opponent right now?

a: they always seem to find a way to beat us

b: because they would be the worst team to lose to

couldn't be more right, 96, 99 will tell you the answer right there. Those texas teams shouldn't worry us either but they beat us and cost us a NC shot both years.

The Flu[96] and a fumble[99] cost us those two games. Not a better Texas team.

GBR!!!

Unless Texas anger is going to suddenly 1-make their quarterback better, or 2-give them a running game they haven't had for an age, I don't understand the paranoia. On paper, and after watching what lowly UCLA––who just lost again––was able to do through the running game on their field, Nebraska should beat them so hard that Mack Brown will be sitting in the lobby of a domestic abuse center after the game.

When people were worried about Kansas State, why were they worried? A great running back, probably the best in the Big 12, against what was perceived to be a soft run D. Those fears are now completely gone. What does Texas have that's so scary? I'll wait.

The way Nebraska loses this game is the only way Nebraska is going to lose any game this season––they beat themselves. If the O-line gets moronic penalties that drain yards off big plays, or if Taylor puts the ball on the turn three times, or if we allow big special teams plays and short fields––then Nebraska could lose. If they don't do that, Bo Pelini picks his teeth in the locker room after enjoying a nice Bevo steak.