College football show on CBS

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Then again, according to that link they are only one spot away from each other. Still, the argument that Boise plays a weak schedule should be moot when compared to Nebraska's.

According to Jeff Sagarin, one of the guys used in the BCS rankings, Boise's SOS is 28th to our 76th. That will all change, though, as we go through our respective conference schedules. By the end of the season we'll have a far better SOS than Boise.

Here's the thing about that: it's all speculation. Yeah, I understand that most likely Nebraska's SOS will be higher than Boise's at the end of the year, but as of now it's not. In fact, their SOS has been higher than Nebraska's from the beginning of the season. Boise has also beat two rank teams to Nebraska's zero wins against ranked teams. The point I'm trying to make is that it's absolutely ridiculous to assert that an undefeated Boise State should be jumped by an undefeated Nebraska at the end of the season based off of SOS.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Then again, according to that link they are only one spot away from each other. Still, the argument that Boise plays a weak schedule should be moot when compared to Nebraska's.

According to Jeff Sagarin, one of the guys used in the BCS rankings, Boise's SOS is 28th to our 76th. That will all change, though, as we go through our respective conference schedules. By the end of the season we'll have a far better SOS than Boise.

Here's the thing about that: it's all speculation. Yeah, I understand that most likely Nebraska's SOS will be higher than Boise's at the end of the year, but as of now it's not. In fact, their SOS has been higher than Nebraska's from the beginning of the season. Boise has also beat two rank teams to Nebraska's zero wins against ranked teams. The point I'm trying to make is that it's absolutely ridiculous to assert that an undefeated Boise State should be jumped by an undefeated Nebraska at the end of the season based off of SOS.

Why do you think it's ridiculous when that's exactly why Boise St. and TCU weren't in the BCS Championship game last year? We just had evidence that this is how it works. Calling it ridiculous may be a personal opinion, but it's not supported by the facts.

Further, Nebraska's SOS has skyrocketed in the past three weeks on Sagarin from 132 to 76. It'll jump higher than that after the Texas game, and higher still after Okie State and Missouri. Meanwhile, Boise's will continue to fall because they have only one team with a prayer of being ranked left on their schedule, while we have either Okie State or Missouri, plus Oklahoma (likely).

Finally, Boise St. has not beaten two ranked teams, at least not for the purposes of SOS. VA Tech is not ranked, and they're not likely to be ranked for the rest of the season the way they're playing. When we're talking about who does or doesn't get into the MNC game, pre-season rankings don't mean diddly. VA Tech cannot be counted as a win against a "ranked team" in this conversation.

Why do you think it's ridiculous when that's exactly why Boise St. and TCU weren't in the BCS Championship game last year? We just had evidence that this is how it works. Calling it ridiculous may be a personal opinion, but it's not supported by the facts.

Further, Nebraska's SOS has skyrocketed in the past three weeks on Sagarin from 132 to 76. It'll jump higher than that after the Texas game, and higher still after Okie State and Missouri. Meanwhile, Boise's will continue to fall because they have only one team with a prayer of being ranked left on their schedule, while we have either Okie State or Missouri, plus Oklahoma (likely).

Finally, Boise St. has not beaten two ranked teams, at least not for the purposes of SOS. VA Tech is not ranked, and they're not likely to be ranked for the rest of the season the way they're playing. When we're talking about who does or doesn't get into the MNC game, pre-season rankings don't mean diddly. VA Tech cannot be counted as a win against a "ranked team" in this conversation.

Agreed. You said pretty much exactly what I was thinking you just said it before I had chance.

Hey, I said I agreed that Nebraska's SOS will soon overtake Boise's. My gripe is with people who constantly complain that Boise and TCU should be left out of the BCS picture because they play in such "weak conferences". If they conferences they play in are so "weak", then why do Boise and TCU consistently finish undefeated or with one loss? The fact is that these two teams cannot control the poor play of the other teams in their conferences and they perform as best they can with what is presented to them. Neither team deserves nearly the amount of respect they deserve. I truly hope that one of them makes it to the MNC this year and plays a BCS team so this debate can finally come to an end. I don't think many of the haters would be happy with the results, though.

Hey, I said I agreed that Nebraska's SOS will soon overtake Boise's. My gripe is with people who constantly complain that Boise and TCU should be left out of the BCS picture because they play in such "weak conferences". If they conferences they play in are so "weak", then why do Boise and TCU consistently finish undefeated or with one loss? The fact is that these two teams cannot control the poor play of the other teams in their conferences and they perform as best they can with what is presented to them. Neither team deserves nearly the amount of respect they deserve. I truly hope that one of them makes it to the MNC this year and plays a BCS team so this debate can finally come to an end. I don't think many of the haters would be happy with the results, though.

OK. I think we're pretty much on the same page. I think Boise gets the shaft because of the BCS and those who control that money. I'd love for there to be a playoff, if for no other reason than that we could see that Boise would go deep into the playoff every year. They're a solid team.

It only goes up if Missouri and Oklahoma State win, Okie lite pretty good chance, but I doubt Missouri is ranked when we play them. If they upset Oklahoma, that really hurts our chances even if we beat them.

Oregon and Ohio State have the easiest way if they win out as their schedule will remain far above ours it seems to me. Boise could gain in the rankings if VaTech continues to win and they beat a undefeated Nevada soundly.

We are really dependent on others to get to the big dance, not only us winning out. I still think there is a chance that a one loss SEC team gets by us due to schedule. Meaning Alabama winning out and defeating SC in their conference championship. Way tougher road for them than us.

Okie lite at 21-25 does not help and I doubt Missouri will be in the hunt.

We need a lot of help to even think about as far as I am concerned.

BECAUSE THEIR CONFERENCES ARE WEAK.

And ya, they do get the credit they deserve-look at their preseason rankings and all the love they get from the media. Sorry, but there is no way Boise St or TCU goes through our or any SEC's conference schedule unscathed. And that is why they do not deserve to be in the National Championship picture.

It took Boise St. EVERYTHING to beat OU in that memorable fiesta bowl. Utah is really the only non-AQ team to consistantly beat BCS teams. TCU-meh. Great Defense for sure, that's all I'll really say about that.

It only goes up if Missouri and Oklahoma State win

This is not true, simply because two of our first four opponents were so truly abysmal that every other opponent we'll face will improve our SOS from here on out.

Sagarin's predictor has us rated at about 10th in the nation with our current schedule, if everyone were to stay the same as they are right now. I do not believe he is taking the CCG into account. If we play an undefeated Oklahoma and win, we're a shoo-in for the MNC game, and would easily get in over an undefeated Boise.

One other thing - there are a number of coaches out there who will put a ceiling on Boise St. if they appear to be headed into the MNC game at the end of the season. There was talk about this earlier in the year after they beat VA Tech. Right, wrong or indifferent, the point differential will be great enough that they won't get in over a qualified AQ school if for no other reason than that the coaches will "rig" it that way.

I think the fact that the "tough part" of Boise's schedule being over pretty much sums up this entire argument. They don't belong, it is as simple as that.

Boise supporters need to realize they haven't played anybody as good as Texas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Kansas State, and I would bet that Washington beats Oregon State who is the best team BSU has played. Don't give me VaTech, they are not a good football team and were terrible when Boise played them.

Until they can make it through a tough season against EQUAL TO THEM competition week in and out they cannot lay claim to a MNC, I don't care if they win the damn thing. Close games=more injuries to starters, which is a main reason why it is harder to win them all in a good conference.

Above it all, if you have to resort to a blue field to blend your defenders in at home you are not a Powerhouse in CFB. You think you'd ever see Florida on a Blue field? How about USC on crimson, Oklahoma wearing all whites on a white field? Would Nebraska ever make the sea of Red complete by installing red field turf? No they would not, because top tier programs don't do that.

Sorry, but Boise is a sick joke cast on the teams that bite, scratch, and claw their way through schedules facing teams with equal athletes on them week in and week out. I can't wait until this little experiment ends when Peterson moves on. He was obviously the brains of the operation, it wasn't Hawkins. If it was, I think that proves my point for me.

:rant

To follow up on this conversation, even though we lost and are still ranked well below Boise, our SOS has already caught up with theirs.

Sagarin ranks our SOS at #53, while Boise's is at #55. We will continue to climb the SOS rankings no matter what happens because Oklahoma St. and Missouri are ranked so far above any of our Non-Con opponents.

To be clear, this is a separate conversation from our actual rankings - just discussing the SOS.