Sirles v. Acho

NUance

LT Sirles ready for another Big 12 test

Posted by: Steve Sipple on October 12, 2010 at 7:04PM CST

Somewhat overlooked in Nebraska's resounding triumph last week at Kansas State was the job Husker redshirt freshman left tackle Jeremiah Sirles did against standout Wildcats defensive end Brandon Harold. Harold, a 6-foot-5, 258-pound sophomore from East St. Louis, Ill., had only one tackle. He entered the game as the top tackler in the Big 12 among defensive linemen, with 26 stops through K-State's first four games. "He was a freshman All-American -- a damned good player," Sirles said Tuesday. "He was very strong. Very good with his hands. Things like that help me develop as a player, going against guys of that caliber."

Come Saturday, the 6-6, 310-pound Sirles likely will see a lot of Texas defensive end Sam Acho, a 6-3, 260-pound senior, who is tied for the team lead with four sacks.

"He's a very, very good player," Sirles said. "I'm really excited to test my skills against him as well."

Sirles generates confidence from the confidence his coaches show in him. "I go in there with the mindset of, 'I'm the starting left tackle, he's the starting defensive end, and there's a reason I'm out here,' " Sirles said. "Coaches wouldn't put me out there if they didn't think I was ready." LINK

Nice little blurb from Sip. A lot of our offensive is going to depend on how well Sirles handles Acho.

I think it may depend on the offensive plan and the mindset the linemen will have, it we keep up with the straight ahead type of running, because even our zone play have been rather upfield more than lateral, then i think Sirles can handle acho by just going straight forward. and that goes for the rest of the texas d. That's how you beat speed is with power. This year we have that back up front.

Hard to say who wins this battle. I’ve been high on Sirles this year——I think he’s gonna be pipeline material. But Acho is pretty darn good. Big 12 honorable mention last year. Gonna be a great matchup between the two. Battle of the titans.

Wasn’t Acho shooting off his mouth this past week? Giving us bulletin board material?

Sirles pretty much shut down the Big 12's leader in tackles, Brandon Harold, against KSU. I don't expect Sirles to shut Acho down completely, but if he slows Acho down just a little bit that'll be enough for Martinez to zip by.

And when Sirles needs a breather they can just bring in Hardrick to pound on Acho. (cue evil laugh)

Sirles pretty much shut down the Big 12's leader in tackles, Brandon Harold, against KSU. I don't expect Sirles to shut Acho down completely, but if he slows Acho down just a little bit that'll be enough for Martinez to zip by.

And when Sirles needs a breather they can just bring in Hardrick to pound on Acho. (cue evil laugh)

Acho is fast. But he's in for a rude awakening when he tries to chase down Martinez.

I'm not terribly worried about Texas' D-line. They're good, but I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of doing what we did to their O-line in the Championship game last year.

I have to admit I’m impressed with the Whorns D-line. Acho and Eddie Jones might be the best pair of DEs in the country——not individually, but as a pair. Their DT Randall is a good one too. Be a good test for our O-line at almost every position.

I'm not terribly worried about Texas' D-line. They're good, but I don't think they have a snowball's chance in hell of doing what we did to their O-line in the Championship game last year.

I have to admit I’m impressed with the Whorns D-line. Acho and Eddie Jones might be the best pair of DEs in the country——not individually, but as a pair. Their DT Randall is a good one too. Be a good test for our O-line at almost every position.

I don't mean to undersell their talent, but if that UCLA game is even the slightest indication, the 'horns are in for a world of hurt. We'll find out what they're really made of this Saturday.

I don't mean to undersell their talent, but if that UCLA game is even the slightest indication, the 'horns are in for a world of hurt. We'll find out what they're really made of this Saturday.

yeah, UCLA rammin' it down Bevo's throat was a little less than impressive. For the Whorns anyway.

If Texas thinks UCLA and/or Oklahoma have a vicious running game they're going to have boatloads of fun dealing with ours.

Hard to say who wins this battle. I've been high on Sirles this year——I think he's gonna be pipeline material. But Acho is pretty darn good. Big 12 honorable mention last year. Gonna be a great matchup between the two. Battle of the titans.

Wasn't Acho shooting off his mouth this past week? Giving us bulletin board material?

I dont know about Sam but his brother LB Emmanuel Acho said this about Martinez & the Huskers:

"It's another game, it's another team, he's another quarterback. He's a good player, I'll leave it at that, but it's nothing that if we play to Texas standards that we should be too worried about."

http://www.chron.com...as/7244085.html