Decision to Bench Taylor

I'm sorry. 20-3 is a 3 score game, my friend and that's when Lee entered the game. Check the archives. They NEARLY ended in TDs? One drive was mostly penalty yards, the other ended the same way Taylor's NEARLY ended in TDs.....a dropped pass by a WR. Lee led a drive that ended in 3 pts. Martinez led a drive that ended in 3 points. Eric Haag scored 6.

Coachspeak? I've seen the offense when all 3 QBs are in the game. I don't see any difference in the philosophy.

Zac Lee is not a good runner. WHEN has Zac Lee EVER been good at the zone read? I watched last season. Did you?

You're obviously a Lee apologist, so I know I'm not going to convince you of anything.

My bad, you're correct, it was a 3 score game.

If you can't see how we had a different attack with Lee in the game, or Green in the game compared to Martinez, I don't know what to say. Martinez can't run everything the other guys can. He compensates with his feet. Whether that compensation is enough is the big question.

I did not say Zac Lee was a good runner. You said he was slow, and I called you out on it. Zac is fast. Not as fast as Taylor, but he's not lumbering. Zac has been good at making the right reads in the zone read, including last season. See the Arizona game.

I am just dealing with a reality where Martinez isn't a savior, and Zac Lee doesn't suck, because neither of those (or their opposites) are the truth.

Despite the free yards in penalties, Lee did move the ball down the field. Yes it only ended 3 pts, BUT it took almost 3 quarters to get 3 points with Martinez running the show. Im not saying Martinez is a terrible QB, but I think starting as a redshirt freshman in this offense is a mistake. I could give 2 craps how many yards per game or rush he has, he faced a good defense and got stuffed big time. All those other teams had terrible defenses, personally i wouldve surprised to see Martinez run loose against Texas.

Ive said this from the start of fall camp. Start Lee, let Martinez come in a get some snaps, whether its at running back, wide receiver, or quarterback.

Tell me exactly what Zac Lee does differently in the 1st half that gets us more points?

Lee hands the ball off to his backs w/o the deer in the headlights look. He holds onto the ball until the receiver breaks open and doesn't try to run like said deer.Lee has senior moxie and big game decision making under his belt.

I like Taylor but sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. It's no different than switching up Half-backs. If one guy isn't getting it done he gets the hook. If your psyche is that fragile then you don't need to be in that position.

It's still a team sport, no ones feelings or confidence is more important than anybody elses.

Once again, where does Lee's 'big game experience' come from? The 3 marquee games he played last year (VaTech, OU, and UT) we scored a grand total of 1 offensive touchdown (and that was from the 1 yd line after an interception)

I'm sorry. 20-3 is a 3 score game, my friend and that's when Lee entered the game. Check the archives. They NEARLY ended in TDs? One drive was mostly penalty yards, the other ended the same way Taylor's NEARLY ended in TDs.....a dropped pass by a WR. Lee led a drive that ended in 3 pts. Martinez led a drive that ended in 3 points. Eric Haag scored 6.

Coachspeak? I've seen the offense when all 3 QBs are in the game. I don't see any difference in the philosophy.

Zac Lee is not a good runner. WHEN has Zac Lee EVER been good at the zone read? I watched last season. Did you?

You're obviously a Lee apologist, so I know I'm not going to convince you of anything.

If you can't see how we had a different attack with Lee in the game, or Green in the game compared to Martinez, I don't know what to say. Martinez can't run everything the other guys can. He compensates with his feet. Whether that compensation is enough is the big question.

I did not say Zac Lee was a good runner. You said he was slow, and I called you out on it. Zac is fast. Not as fast as Taylor, but he's not lumbering. Zac has been good at making the right reads in the zone read, including last season. See the Arizona game.

I am just dealing with a reality where Martinez isn't a savior, and Zac Lee doesn't suck, because neither of those (or their opposites) are the truth.

Despite the free yards in penalties, Lee did move the ball down the field. Yes it only ended 3 pts, BUT it took almost 3 quarters to get 3 points with Martinez running the show. Im not saying Martinez is a terrible QB, but I think starting as a redshirt freshman in this offense is a mistake. I could give 2 craps how many yards per game or rush he has, he faced a good defense and got stuffed big time. All those other teams had terrible defenses, personally i wouldve surprised to see Martinez run loose against Texas.

Ive said this from the start of fall camp. Start Lee, let Martinez come in a get some snaps, whether its at running back, wide receiver, or quarterback.

Tell me exactly what Zac Lee does differently in the 1st half that gets us more points?

Well he got positive yards everytime he ran the zone read. It may have been 3-4 yards, but thats about 5 yards more than Taylor was getting. 2nd and 6, is a huge difference than 2nd and 9 or 2nd and 12.

Lee: 10 attempts for 28 yards 2.8 ypc

Martinez: 13 attempts for 39 yards 3.0 ypc

I think you forgot include yards lost.... Martinez 13-21 Lee 10-25. This just further proves my point. Regardless Lee did that in 1 quarter, Martinez did that in 3 quarters.

Lee hands the ball off to his backs w/o the deer in the headlights look. He holds onto the ball until the receiver breaks open and doesn't try to run like said deer.Lee has senior moxie and big game decision making under his belt.

I like Taylor but sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. It's no different than switching up Half-backs. If one guy isn't getting it done he gets the hook. If your psyche is that fragile then you don't need to be in that position.

It's still a team sport, no ones feelings or confidence is more important than anybody elses.

Once again, where does Lee's 'big game experience' come from? The 3 marquee games he played last year (VaTech, OU, and UT) we scored a grand total of 1 offensive touchdown (and that was from the 1 yd line after an interception)

Didnt we play a supposedly pretty good arizona team in the holiday bowl. I thought he looked alright in that game. We lost 2 of those games by one point each, both on questionable calls late in the game. I dont think you can blame Lee, especially when leaning heavy on the running game in those games.

Well he got positive yards everytime he ran the zone read. It may have been 3-4 yards, but thats about 5 yards more than Taylor was getting. 2nd and 6, is a huge difference than 2nd and 9 or 2nd and 12.

I think you forgot include yards lost.... Martinez 13-21 Lee 10-25. This just further proves my point. Regardless Lee did that in 1 quarter, Martinez did that in 3 quarters.

Ummm...no. What I forgot was that Lee got 25 yds, not 28. Those rushing numbers are NET. They include yards lost. I think everyone is trying to say that Lee was more efficient as a runner. That's not the case.

Lee was also 4-9 for 14 yds as a passer, vs 4-12 for Martinez for 63 yds.

So, Lee got 19 plays in which he threw or ran the ball, for 39 yds. Martinez got 25 plays for 102. So the workload was similar, and Martinez was more productive. I didn't see Lee's 'Senior moxie' translating into any more production than TMart's 'deer in the headlights'

Didnt we play a supposedly pretty good arizona team in the holiday bowl. I thought he looked alright in that game. We lost 2 of those games by one point each, both on questionable calls late in the game. I dont think you can blame Lee, especially when leaning heavy on the running game in those games.

Exactly who would be primarily to blame then? The defense? The offense lost those games, and Lee was the signal caller. I'm not a fan of using the word 'BLAME' when speaking of a collegiate team sport, but Lee was certainly one of the more culpable players in those losses.

The things that Zac does differently is settle down the team and make everyone around him better.

He doesn't hand off to Rex Burkhead to allow him to get stuffed behind the LOS. He keeps it himself, even if he gains just 2-3 yards in the process. When he does give it off to the RB, the RB has space to make something happen. That's one aspect where things are different.

Of course TM's passing is a work in progress(his reads are too). He's a frosh running qb, if you play him you take some lumps. But most of his passes were catchable(maybe not great but catchable) balls the receiver got two hands on. He didn't have any that could've been picked. He didn't pass well but he passed adequately, receivers have to make some damn plays. Texas gave us the pass to stop the run and we couldn't take advantage primarily because we couldn't hold on to the rock.

2 points here...

1) They weren't that adequate, either. When you have a receiver with nobody within 5-10 yards of him, and you don't complete the pass because you throw it behind the receiver on the crossing route, that's on the QB. Leading receivers is a consistent issue here. Receivers got 2 hands on the ball sometimes only after making big adjustments that killed the play. But for sure, there were some dreadful drops yesterday.

2) I agree that he's a work in progress, but the nature of the work isn't the kind you make progress on by taking the lumps now. He needs a dedicated offseason with no games to hone those skills. If we keep riding him, all that will happen is we will keep taking these lumps when we run into these kinds of teams. There's just too much distance to cover; he's not going to develop magically in that category this season.

When I said you take your lumps I meant you know you're not playing a finished product, he's going to play like a frosh. Do you accept that to get Taylor's explosiveness or do you go with the more finished product that can't bust big runs in Lee? Tough call. I don't have a problem with using both.

@Danimal: yea, I definitely agree. That's the question. Right now I wouldn't accept that and would say you gotta use both guys. I was just trying to deflect the common argument that Taylor, through taking these lumps, will grow as a player this year. The facets in his game were the shortcomings are most glaring, that will take the offseason to address. The struggles aren't worth nothing, but they aren't going to do us much good, this year.

Once again Jason, you are looking at the stats with the QB's name next to it, and not their play as a QB.

Martinez made awful reads, and that hurt our offense consistently, on every single play. Lee made good reads, and that allowed us to move the ball with momentum and consistency. You don't see Martinez's name to a Helu or Burkhead stuffed-in-the-backfield play, and you don't see Lee's name next to Rex's 12 yard run to the outside or Helu's 6 yard run up the gut, both on the zone read as we were driving. But Lee made those things happen, while Martinez didn't. You don't see in the stats that Martinez misses a wide open receiver because he threw behind him, or missed guys because he threw it into the turf or bailed out on a pass play, resulting in a 0-yard run instead. Objectively watch the game and it's hard not to see how many more mistakes Taylor made than Lee.

I'll point out Lee's negatives: first pass batted down, got run down from behind in the pocket, pointless timeout, bad screen pass, a little too excited on a (nonetheless completed) checkdown to Burkhead. Martinez's negatives were far more encompassing; he was not a quarterback out there and made poor read after poor read, for all his potential and ability.

Ummm...no. What I forgot was that Lee got 25 yds, not 28. Those rushing numbers are NET. They include yards lost. I think everyone is trying to say that Lee was more efficient as a runner. That's not the case.

So, Lee got 19 plays in which he threw or ran the ball, for 39 yds. Martinez got 25 plays for 102. So the workload was similar, and Martinez was more productive. I didn't see Lee's 'Senior moxie' translating into any more production than TMart's 'deer in the headlights'

Player Rush Gained Lost Net YPC

Lee 10 25 0 25 2.5

Martinez 13 39 18 21 1.6

Just to clarify, these are the actual stats.

First off your rushing numbers are not including yards lost.... you are wrong here it is from huskers.com

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

-------------------------------------------------

Helu Jr., Roy 11 43 0 43 0 7 3.9

Burkhead, Rex 9 39 4 35 0 12 3.9

Lee, Zac 10 25 0 25 0 6 2.5

Martinez, Taylor 13 39 18 21 0 14 1.6

Paul, Niles 1 1 0 1 0 1 1.0

Totals... 44 147 22 125 0 14 2.8

Second i was never comparing Zac's passing vs. Martinez's passing. Everybody knows that he didnt get any help from his receivers. It more about composure in the huddle and having command on the field.

My feeling is that when you need to actually score points and Zac Lee is your back up when the rest of the offense is playing poorly you are in Big trouble. Unfortunately Martinez was also unable to produce points. I am glad that he was pulled, even though going to Zac does not inspire me, I like to see coaches at least try to change a game with a QB change, that’s why you have other QB’s.

I think if the reciever had caught just two of the three tds he put in their hands, we'd all be atlking about how well taylor threw the ball

HELL YEAH . The guys calling the game thoght he had a arm . Kinney will bounce back from it thoe as far as paul goes BENCH him. I know theirs dep at WR

First off your rushing numbers are not including yards lost.... you are wrong here it is from huskers.com

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

-------------------------------------------------

Helu Jr., Roy 11 43 0 43 0 7 3.9

Burkhead, Rex 9 39 4 35 0 12 3.9

Lee, Zac 10 25 0 25 0 6 2.5

Martinez, Taylor 13 39 18 21 0 14 1.6

Paul, Niles 1 1 0 1 0 1 1.0

Totals... 44 147 22 125 0 14 2.8

Second i was never comparing Zac's passing vs. Martinez's passing. Everybody knows that he didnt get any help from his receivers. It more about composure in the huddle and having command on the field.

Once again, what is your evidence that he has more command on the field and more composure in the huddle? It sounds like what people say when you've got a less talented quarterback, and everyone calls him a 'game manager'. No, he just isn't as talented. If Lee and Martinez produced essentially the same offensive results, where is your indication that Lee is more composed?