Niles Paul OWH article

EZ-E

Found this. http://betteroffred.fantake.com/2010/10/06/niles-paul-just-give-me-the-damn-ball/

The 2010 season was supposed to be Niles Paul’s showcase. Ranked by at least one prominent scouting service as the #1 senior wide receiver coming into 2010, Paul was expected to be a very visible part of the new and improved Husker offense.

Through the first four games, however, #24 has been noticeably absent. Just 10 catches for 144 yards and a TD, and four carries for 13 yards.

We’ve heard several explanations as to why Niles Paul hasn’t been featured much this season, most of them lame. Some note the resurgence of the running game — the Huskers have the #4 rushing attack in the nation at 309 yards/game, up from 147 yards/game in 2009. Others point out that Taylor Martinez is an inexperienced quarterback who may not be fully trusted with complicated downfield routes. But the success of the running game — particularly Martinez’s ability to wreak havoc with the zone read – has routinely forced defenses to leave Paul in single coverage, and OC Shawn Watson has said that Martinez is “as good as I’ve coached at throwing the ball deep.”

So something isn’t adding up, and Paul is officially tired of it:

“When you’re not getting the looks that you think you deserve, it sucks.”

His recent comments were softened by the Nebraska media, but they were pointed and clear.

“It kind of frustrates me a little bit. Obviously, there’s more that goes into it. There’s a scheme. And we’re running the ball. But if you put the ball up and let me go get it, I’m going to go get it….There’s going to be a game where it’s going to come down to passing to win the game. Just hopefully, coach (Shawn) Watson trusts us and puts the game in our hands. We’ll make plays to win it.”

Paul reportedly asked the Husker coaches for more involvement after he had zero offensive touches in the South Dakota State game, and ramped up the campaign by sharing his frustration with the media. Still, for now he’s putting a positive spin on it.

“They obviously know what I can do with the ball in my hands and the plays I can make, so I think they’ll make an effort to get me the ball.”

Player/coach drama isn’t in the Pelini coaching handbook so let’s hope this is squelched by feeding Paul a healthy number of touches against KSU on Thursday.

For Husker fans this is all very good news. A discontented Niles Paul should be a motivated Niles Paul, especially with the 2011 NFL draft on the horizon. He has 10 more college games to show the world that he should get paid to play football. Let the Niles Paul Experience begin.

I know nobody wants to hear it, but there are a storm clouds over this season, despite our talent. Paul is getting very few looks in the game period, and when he does and messes them up, he gets vilified for it. He actually did rather well, comparatively, in the Texas game - didn't he?

Don't get me wrong, Paul has a lot to prove and has yet to get his head together to match his physical ability. But he (nor any of the WRs) isn't getting a lot of chances in this offense either, when they could be getting them. Even if Paul is blowing his chances, where's Curenski and Khiry?

I know nobody wants to hear it, but there are a storm clouds over this season, despite our talent. Paul is getting very few looks in the game period, and when he does and messes them up, he gets vilified for it. He actually did rather well, comparatively, in the Texas game - didn't he?

Don't get me wrong, Paul has a lot to prove and has yet to get his head together to match his physical ability. But he (nor any of the WRs) isn't getting a lot of chances in this offense either, when they could be getting them. Even if Paul is blowing his chances, where's Curenski and Khiry?

Cure and Khiry have had some mop up time. We have seen more of Quincy Enunwa as the forth WR.

Mayeb the coaches need to hit the bench as they did around this time last year for a sign of life from a WR.

Or fire a WRs coach...well, not in the middle of the season, but it's quite overdue.

I haven't listened to the radio much this year since I caught a few of the games on TV, so it's hard to catch the substitutions sometime. I did notice Henry in there a bit and Marlowe earlier in the year. We have so many 'good' players there, I think there's just no performance out of this group and for however many reasons, it falls on Gilmore's head. Otherwise even if we do hit the bench, we'll just keep going around, finding nobody to step up.

For all the OL faults in '08 and '09, WR has been a consistent and much bigger problem. I mean, give our offense something to work with here.

Or fire a WRs coach...well, not in the middle of the season, but it's quite overdue.

I haven't listened to the radio much this year since I caught a few of the games on TV, so it's hard to catch the substitutions sometime. I did notice Henry in there a bit and Marlowe earlier in the year. We have so many 'good' players there, I think there's just no performance out of this group and for however many reasons, it falls on Gilmore's head. Otherwise even if we do hit the bench, we'll just keep going around, finding nobody to step up.

For all the OL faults in '08 and '09, WR has been a consistent and much bigger problem. I mean, give our offense something to work with here.

Passes are literally clunking off of their hands. Remember Niles against Tech last year? (Why would anyone want to do that?) I feel like that play kinda sums up our receiving corps post Swift/Peterson.

If you watch the offensive line's execution against Texas, they made very clear improvement from last year to this year. They aren't the Pipeline yet, but they made a pretty significant jump.

The WR's have been better blockers on the perimeter this year, but they weren't against Texas, and the drops were inexcusable. Niles made a few plays sure, but he dropped as many as he caught. If he were a baseball player with a .500 batting average, that'd be other-worldly, but 50% doesn't even get close to cutting it for a guy who's supposed to be one of the best senior WRs in the country. You gotta catch the ball when it's thrown to you.

I will give Niles Paul a pass for the one that Taylor threw behind him. That would have been a great catch to make. Other than that there was not a single thing that you could say for the drops that he had other than "Wow, Niles you are a college football player. You have to make that play."

All I can say is thank god he's a senior. I'm sorry but the more I see him returning punts or handling the ball when he does catch it scares me to death. He's got a lot of talent but makes too many mental mistakes.

Yeah, I think it's time to see a little more of Eric Hagg back to return punts.

All I can say is thank god he's a senior. I'm sorry but the more I see him returning punts or handling the ball when he does catch it scares me to death. He's got a lot of talent but makes too many mental mistakes.

you have to remember that his return was against offensive line man and not punt cover players. but i do agree. i catch myself always saying.. "hold on to it" when the ball goes anywhere near paul

you have to remember that his return was against offensive line man and not punt cover players. but i do agree. i catch myself always saying.. "hold on to it" when the ball goes anywhere near paul

I say you throw Rex or Marlowe out there. If Heard were here he would be the perfect fit.