Wildcat with lee and martinez

I might be inclined to agree if there was any evidence that Zac Lee is a markedly better passer than Martinez. Seems like having Martinez in there is like having Lee, except with 4.35 speed. That should be enough to keep defenses guessing.

This is a good point. Much of Martinez' problems passing have been the result of dropped passes. Yes, he's had bad throws, but so has Lee. Martinez' good throws are being dropped, making his stats look worse than they should. Martinez is a competent passer - not Joe Montana, but he's not Tommie Frazier, either.

Qualitatively, having Martinez in there is exactly nothing like having Lee.

We've seen very little on Lee, keep in mind. And the biggest problem here is we are treating passing as a single simple ability. Martinez is nowhere close to Lee in the footwork or mechanics of throwing, and he is especially nowhere close in being able to read defenses, meaning both before the play (checking to other plays based on what the defense shows, and other adjustments) and during the play (going through progressions).

Last year, at the beginning of the year, Lee was limited in his progressions. Martinez is as well, currently (breakdown is from the Rivals free board). When TMart is asked to go through multiple progressions on a play, they are usually in the same zone of the field - left, middle, right. Against Texas, when we opened it up and progressions were in different areas of the field, Martinez struggled making them, resulting in broken plays. Lee, right now, opens us up to having these wrinkles in the passing game, where his first progression might be in the left middle of the field, his second might be right deep, and his third might be middle short. Or something like that, I'm no expert personally.

That's funny because my biggest problem with Lee in the passing game last year was that he never seemed to look past his 1st read. He looked like he knew from the minute he broke the huddle that he was going ONE place with the ball, whether it was there or not.

I know you and I tend to go round and round on this issue, so I guess I'll just respectfully disagree with your assertion that Lee is a better passer. I only have what I saw for the entire season last year to go on, and he wasn't a very good passer in those games.

We could also put Alex henery back to receive punts since he is so good at kicking the ball. He could catch it and kick it right away and thus we win the battle of field position because we have a better kicker than most teams. Eventually we would be close enough for him to do the old drop kick and get 3 points about every third kick. :sarcasm

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

that is Awesome! At least in theroy. I needed a good laugh, thanx!

I might be inclined to agree if there was any evidence that Zac Lee is a markedly better passer than Martinez. Seems like having Martinez in there is like having Lee, except with 4.35 speed. That should be enough to keep defenses guessing.

This is a good point. Much of Martinez' problems passing have been the result of dropped passes. Yes, he's had bad throws, but so has Lee. Martinez' good throws are being dropped, making his stats look worse than they should. Martinez is a competent passer - not Joe Montana, but he's not Tommie Frazier, either.

We've seen very little on Lee, keep in mind. And the biggest problem here is we are treating passing as a single simple ability. Martinez is nowhere close to Lee in the footwork or mechanics of throwing, and he is especially nowhere close in being able to read defenses, meaning both before the play (checking to other plays based on what the defense shows, and other adjustments) and during the play (going through progressions).

Last year, at the beginning of the year, Lee was limited in his progressions. Martinez is as well, currently (breakdown is from the Rivals free board). When TMart is asked to go through multiple progressions on a play, they are usually in the same zone of the field - left, middle, right. Against Texas, when we opened it up and progressions were in different areas of the field, Martinez struggled making them, resulting in broken plays. Lee, right now, opens us up to having these wrinkles in the passing game, where his first progression might be in the left middle of the field, his second might be right deep, and his third might be middle short. Or something like that, I'm no expert personally.

That's funny because my biggest problem with Lee in the passing game last year was that he never seemed to look past his 1st read. He looked like he knew from the minute he broke the huddle that he was going ONE place with the ball, whether it was there or not.

I know you and I tend to go round and round on this issue, so I guess I'll just respectfully disagree with your assertion that Lee is a better passer. I only have what I saw for the entire season last year to go on, and he wasn't a very good passer in those games.

when you have no pass protection, it makes it hard to go through your progressions. just saying.

when you have no pass protection, it makes it hard to go through your progressions. just saying.

I think it's fair to say that I'm considering those situations in which he had time to throw. Just saying.

i am just going to say, i think LEE has better intangibles. composure, poise, pocket presence, game management, and other such relevant buzz words.

Sarcasm?

none. well, there is always a little sarcasm in what i say.

look, martinez does not know how to get sacked. and i think he was flustered in the texas game. he is still a freshman, and showed that.

I think it's fair to say that I'm considering those situations in which he had time to throw. Just saying.

well i was just saying that it would be hard to get comfortable in the pocket when you are used to getting flushed out in half the time it takes to go through your progressions. it is called muscle memory. just saying.

I have been saying this... Put lee and Martinez in their at the same time... Line them both up as if either could take the snap that way defenses never know who's gonna get it and they have to play the pass more thus leaving more space in the box... You could even put burkhead or helu in their as a lead blocker and run some power I with Martinez as a running back... Or burkhead as a third decoy QB... I just think that by having lee and Martinez in their at the same time it gives you options.

I like it! Have kinda a New single wing like formation (but different than the wildcat), both Lee and Martinez able to receive snap on some plays, and on some plays use motions with Martinez to use either a zone read or jet sweep or scoot Martinez to recieve a sweep just to get into open space.