Oregon Offense

hskerprid

Maybe it's just me but does anyone else think that it's an unfair advantage for the Ducks offense to be able to run plays so quickly? I know the reasoning behind why they do it. It seems to me that the NCAA should look into the obvious advantages that it gives the offense.

I know some people will say that all teams can do this and if you don't, tough luck. The offense can pre-determine the play call and rush different players onto the field between plays. This doesn't allow the defense the same advantage because of the timing involved. What are your thoughts?

No discussion here. It's legal, and it's very, very smart (and obviously effective).

Well ya, there is room for discussion. It may be legal but should it be?

i see what you are saying. the speed of the game has changed, so has the schemes. but there has to be a way to stop it or slow it down. you either force change, or you are forced to change.

Well ya, there is room for discussion. It may be legal but should it be?

Why not? It is very difficult to properly execute on offense at that sort of lightning speed. It's not like there's anything cheap about it. You're seeing the fruits of a lot of practice, focus, discipline, and excellent coaching. I wish Nebraska's offense looked that scary.

Fine, let's discuss. How do you propose to enforce slowing down the offense from an officiating standpoint? Is it fair to not let teams hurry up in the two minute offense? If the hurry up is only legal in the final 2 minutes of a half, what about if a team is down by 2 scores with 6 minutes left? Once a team is ahead, should they have to wait a specific period of time before snapping the ball? I agree that it gives the offense a definite advantage, but there really isn't any way (that I can see) to enforce it without taking away from some other part of the game. Therefore, until a good way to enforce it is thought up, it will be legal, and therefore should be used if a team can hack it.

We should imitate their tempo. That tempo doesn't allow the offensive players to lose their focus. It's just go Go GO!!!

Also, watching this game, Martinez is just about as good as UO's quarterback Thomas. Thomas has made some bad reads, and his throws are rarely perfectly in stride, but are just in the ballpark (at least, that's what I've seen through the first half). The difference is that, at least tonight, his wide receivers are pulling in anything within 2 yards of them, and LaMichael James is bailing him out of most of his bad reads.

UO's wide receivers remind me of the mid-90's wide receivers. They aren't really NFL prospects, but they make great catch after great catch.

Well how about this. Since the offense has to be "set" before the play can begin then why not give the defense the same advantage? An offensive play can't start until the defensive line is set. One stipulation would be that the defensive line has to be "set" 5 seconds after the offensive line is or else a penalty is incurred.

This new ruling would not be in effect during the last 5 minutes of each half.

Well how about this. Since the offense has to be "set" before the play can begin then why not give the defense the same advantage? An offensive play can't start until the defensive line is set. One stipulation would be that the defensive line has to be "set" 5 seconds after the offensive line is or else a penalty is incurred.

This new ruling would not be in effect during the last 5 minutes of each half.

the thing about football is that for every advantage, there is a disadvantage. there has to be a few disadvantages to their hurry up. commit to the run, force them to throw, and then the game slows down. also, it has to be hard on the o-line, and there is greater risk for mistakes.

Defenses need to learn to adapt, tough thing is when they are the only team doing it a D has trouble getting ready. Kinda like preparing for the Option Offense was for other D's.

If anyone can do it Bo could, not because of his smarts but because his style is man up with athletes on the field so I think his defense can make quick adjustments.

Let's say that as an O coordinator that I script my first 20 plays. All my players know who is going in and who is coming out on each play. Whether it's run heavy or pass. I then get my plays off while theres still 33 seconds on the play clock like the Ducks were doing. How can the defense adjust to whats coming when they can't substitute? Not only is it a HUGE advantage, it's an unfair one as well. The only way to slow them down is to use up all the time outs or fake injury.

Not only does this make for a game that gets out of hand quickly. As a fan watching a game get out of hand is disconcerning especially when there is such a dis-advantage. It takes the competition out of the equation ( I'm sure the fans of said team love it though).

When does football stop becoming football?

Let's say that as an O coordinator that I script my first 20 plays. All my players know who is going in and who is coming out on each play. Whether it's run heavy or pass. I then get my plays off while theres still 33 seconds on the play clock like the Ducks were doing. How can the defense adjust to whats coming when they can't substitute? Not only is it a HUGE advantage, it's an unfair one as well. The only way to slow them down is to use up all the time outs or fake injury.

Not only does this make for a game that gets out of hand quickly. As a fan watching a game get out of hand is disconcerning especially when there is such a dis-advantage. It takes the competition out of the equation ( I'm sure the fans of said team love it though).

The refs already do have to give the defense a chance to match offensive personnel. Or at least they're supposed to.

People made the same arguments about no-huddle offenses when Oklahoma was doing it a couple years ago. Then Florida completely shut them down in the championship game.

UCLA isn't at a disadvantage right now because of the tempo of the game. They're at a disadvantage because they have a bad defense (as does every other team in the PAC10.

The refs already do have to give the defense a chance to match offensive personnel. Or at least they're supposed to.

People made the same arguments about no-huddle offenses when Oklahoma was doing it a couple years ago. Then Florida completely shut them down in the championship game.

UCLA isn't at a disadvantage right now because of the tempo of the game. They're at a disadvantage because they have a bad defense (as does every other team in the PAC10.

yeah, it was not an unfair advantage for tOSU when they played oregon.

The offense still has to substitute and properly execute at that speed. It's not unstoppable; have your defense prepared to recognize formations and cover their gaps and play up tempo. If it forces a defense to play focused, disciplined football, what's so bad about that? Calling an extreme hurry up offense unfair is like calling the spread offense unfair or the forward pass unfair. Just because it is unique or innovative at the time doesn't mean it's ruining football. Personally, that's one of the biggest reasons I love football... the amount of room there is for creative thinking and strategy.