Oregon Offense

hskerprid

This whole thread makes it seem like Nebraska has no talent...or lack of talent....to me...we have plenty of talent! I don't know what you guy's are smokin. Just b/c Oregon whomped on UCLA...it now makes them the most superior team at running the zone read. Oregon played a great game...but I wouldn't go as far as saying that each of their skill players are far superior than ours. RB's don't break tackles!??? WHAT? Burkhead and Helu break tackles, especially Burkhead...I think some of the posters on this thread will be singing a different tune...and do a 180 if NEB sticks it to Okie St....which could very well happen considering THE TALENT we have on our team.

-We have a young QB....give him time. I don't expect national champsionships out of him his first year start.

-We may be running new offensive schemes...but I think more of the problem lies not in the talent or skill set of the players...but on the coaching.

This is just my two cents...

I don't think we're lacking talent. I thought the two glaring differences between Nebraska and Oregon were the running backs and the wide receivers. Helu and Burkhead are good, but they're not LaMichael James. And the wide receivers for Oregon were catching absolutely everything thrown their way.

As far as o-line, I don't think Oregon's played anybody that can challenge them, so i'll reserve judgement there for now.

At TE, I'd just call it a draw for now.

At QB, I honestly think Martinez is just about as good as UO's Darren Thomas... at least the way Thomas played tonight. Thomas was making similar mistakes in the zone read game, and James was bailing him out (UCLA just didn't have the athletes to capitalize). In the throwing game, every pass I saw through three quarters by Thomas was pretty similar to Martinez throwing. The throws were never right in stride, they were never perfect. But even when the ball was a step behind the receiver, the receiver would make the adjustment and make the catch. The throws looked the same as the ones Martinez has been making, the difference is just that their WRs were coming down with the ball while ours didn't.

This whole thread makes it seem like Nebraska has no talent...or lack of talent....to me...we have plenty of talent! I don't know what you guy's are smokin. Just b/c Oregon whomped on UCLA...it now makes them the most superior team at running the zone read. Oregon played a great game...but I wouldn't go as far as saying that each of their skill players are far superior than ours. RB's don't break tackles!??? WHAT? Burkhead and Helu break tackles, especially Burkhead...I think some of the posters on this thread will be singing a different tune...and do a 180 if NEB sticks it to Okie St....which could very well happen considering THE TALENT we have on our team.

-We have a young QB....give him time. I don't expect national champsionships out of him his first year start.

-We may be running new offensive schemes...but I think more of the problem lies not in the talent or skill set of the players...but on the coaching.

This is just my two cents...

I don't think we're lacking talent. I thought the two glaring differences between Nebraska and Oregon were the running backs and the wide receivers. Helu and Burkhead are good, but they're not LaMichael James. And the wide receivers for Oregon were catching absolutely everything thrown their way.

As far as o-line, I don't think Oregon's played anybody that can challenge them, so i'll reserve judgement there for now.

At TE, I'd just call it a draw for now.

At QB, I honestly think Martinez is just about as good as UO's Darren Thomas... at least the way Thomas played tonight. Thomas was making similar mistakes in the zone read game, and James was bailing him out (UCLA just didn't have the athletes to capitalize). In the throwing game, every pass I saw through three quarters by Thomas was pretty similar to Martinez throwing. The throws were never right in stride, they were never perfect. But even when the ball was a step behind the receiver, the receiver would make the adjustment and make the catch. The throws looked the same as the ones Martinez has been making, the difference is just that their WRs were coming down with the ball while ours didn't.

I would definitely agree with you on the wide receivers...and the saddest aspect of it is...I personally think we our receivers have the potential to be play makers...or at least catch the damn ball! And we don't have a LaMicheal James...very true. I agree with your post.

Explain to me...why in the hell did we stomp a mudhole K States ass with this new offensive scheme(zone read)....and all of sudden on this thread...the whole theme is based upon NEB not having skill players to run the new offense...Honestly...it looks effective to me. Nebraska just had poor effort on both sides of the ball last Saturday...and Will Muschamp is a great defensive coach...and Texas has great players. They came in wanting the win more than us it seems...amen.

Because KSU is undisciplined, lacks talent, and has zero speed at the LB position to stop a team with a true running threat at QB?

That QB draw on 3rd and 10 (a give up play essentially) that Taylor took to the house 80 yards, without being touched, pretty much summed up how overmatched they were in trying to stop a mobile QB.

Even Taylor's last TD would make most d-coordinators lose their mind. The over-pursuit against a zone read team is a no-no, but also the lack of effort was almost laughable by them.

Maybe it's just me but does anyone else think that it's an unfair advantage for the Ducks offense to be able to run plays so quickly? I know the reasoning behind why they do it. It seems to me that the NCAA should look into the obvious advantages that it gives the offense.

I know some people will say that all teams can do this and if you don't, tough luck. The offense can pre-determine the play call and rush different players onto the field between plays. This doesn't allow the defense the same advantage because of the timing involved. What are your thoughts?

jealousy....period, if nebraska was doing this, you would NOT say a peep.

Well ya, there is room for discussion. It may be legal but should it be?

Why not? It is very difficult to properly execute on offense at that sort of lightning speed. It's not like there's anything cheap about it. You're seeing the fruits of a lot of practice, focus, discipline, and excellent coaching. I wish Nebraska's offense looked that scary.

we could learn a lot from these guys, it is the latest tactic in the evolution of the game, first the spread offense, now the no huddle, quick play execution strategy...it will be copied more, starting next season....change or go the way of the spotted owl!

Few things and I have coached for 10 years, no I am not an expert just telling you the things that I have seen and coached with/against.

1. The offense doesnt have to wait for the defense UNLESS the offense has made a substituion then the defense can also sub while the refs hold the play up.

2. The defense can sub anytime they want, even if the offense doesnt sub.

3. Many defenses that play a no huddle team will tackle and "lay" on the ball carrier for an extra count or two, slowing things up.

4. Defenses just need to make sure they tackle there is no need to get exotic.

5. The Ducks run a few select passing plays (I wish I had the link to the article but I dont), they are simple reads, fly routes, screens and crosses routes. They stay away from out routes which are hard to complete.

I just have a good feeling that NEB will be throwing much more this game. If Wats is even a decent O Coorindater....we should be throwing more passes this game to soften up their run D schemes.

yep, Wats is the big "if" factor....

This is an example of the impossible situation coordinators are often in.

We tend to gobble up incredibly rosy pictures of our players. In short, we think they can do anything, and we demand our coordinators to turn them into things they often aren't. For example, in another thread, Hunter, you call Watson to use Taylor like UT's Gilbert. Never mind that they are not close to the same kind of player. Taylor is not going to be used like Gilbert, plain and simple.

Gilbert is a throwing quarterback (perhaps a bit of a dual threat, too, but by our standards he would be "laughably slow, as a grandma"), one of the top guys in his class, right up there with Matt Barkley, and spent last year paying his dues and being groomed fast behind Colt McCoy. Taylor spent last year largely as a scout team receiver, making the switch in the offseason. Taylor has tremendous, tremendous athletic skills and you can't say he doesn't have the desire to be a quarterback.

But at the same time, he has a very long way to go in that department. People say that's fine, we don't need him to be far along. Fine. Evidently, the coaching staff agrees with that sentiment. But understand, this means we rely on Taylor's strengths, while understanding that he needs a simplified passing game and he will struggle if we ask him to make progressions all over the field. Also, that passing game, that relies on getting receivers wide open, is predicated on the continued delivery of Taylor's running as a threat.

In short, the offense is tied down to the things Taylor is capable of handling at this point in his young career. And those things are quite limited in scope, and even then, we've seen Taylor struggle with them: pressing too much, searching for the big play over just playing the game and keeping the O in good situations on the field, making bad reads and bad decisions. Of course I'm highlighting just the negatives here; he does bring some amazing positives, which we've all seen. But understand what the limitations are to running with an unpolished athlete at QB. There are tradeoffs to every decision, and I'm not saying this one isn't worth it. But to expect a decision like this to not have its particular consequences that we have to live with, is folly.

Maybe it's just me but does anyone else think that it's an unfair advantage for the Ducks offense to be able to run plays so quickly? I know the reasoning behind why they do it. It seems to me that the NCAA should look into the obvious advantages that it gives the offense.

I know some people will say that all teams can do this and if you don't, tough luck. The offense can pre-determine the play call and rush different players onto the field between plays. This doesn't allow the defense the same advantage because of the timing involved. What are your thoughts?

I'm jealous. There's my peep.

I just have a good feeling that NEB will be throwing much more this game. If Wats is even a decent O Coorindater....we should be throwing more passes this game to soften up their run D schemes.

We tend to gobble up incredibly rosy pictures of our players. In short, we think they can do anything, and we demand our coordinators to turn them into things they often aren't. For example, in another thread, Hunter, you call Watson to use Taylor like UT's Gilbert. Never mind that they are not close to the same kind of player. Taylor is not going to be used like Gilbert, plain and simple.

Gilbert is a throwing quarterback (perhaps a bit of a dual threat, too, but by our standards he would be "laughably slow, as a grandma"), one of the top guys in his class, right up there with Matt Barkley, and spent last year paying his dues and being groomed fast behind Colt McCoy. Taylor spent last year largely as a scout team receiver, making the switch in the offseason. Taylor has tremendous, tremendous athletic skills and you can't say he doesn't have the desire to be a quarterback.

But at the same time, he has a very long way to go in that department. People say that's fine, we don't need him to be far along. Fine. Evidently, the coaching staff agrees with that sentiment. But understand, this means we rely on Taylor's strengths, while understanding that he needs a simplified passing game and he will struggle if we ask him to make progressions all over the field. Also, that passing game, that relies on getting receivers wide open, is predicated on the continued delivery of Taylor's running as a threat.

In short, the offense is tied down to the things Taylor is capable of handling at this point in his young career. And those things are quite limited in scope, and even then, we've seen Taylor struggle with them: pressing too much, searching for the big play over just playing the game and keeping the O in good situations on the field, making bad reads and bad decisions. Of course I'm highlighting just the negatives here; he does bring some amazing positives, which we've all seen. But understand what the limitations are to running with an unpolished athlete at QB. There are tradeoffs to every decision, and I'm not saying this one isn't worth it. But to expect a decision like this to not have its particular consequences that we have to live with, is folly.

you obviously missed my point.........instead of running so damn much zone read, drop him back to pass and then turn him, loose on a designed qb draw, scramble or whatever you want to call it......we just need to open things up for the kid to use his speed in different ways.

I'm personally jealous of Oregon? Um, ok. I was just bringing up an observation and question that I had. If Nebraska was doing this I would still bring it up.Period.........

logo.png