So far the '10 season has a '99 feel to it

Nexus

• In '99 Texas had two losses before they beat an undefeated 3rd ranked Nebraska team 24-20. Same thing happened in '10. Texas ended up finishing 9-5 in '99.

• Kansas State was undefeated and ranked 5th when a one loss 7th ranked Nebraska team beat them 41-15 in '99. Next weekend (10/30/10) an undefeated Mizzou (who will also be ranked ahead of us) will play a one loss Nebraska team. Kansas State finished the season 11-1 and ranked #6 in '99.

• The '99 team was led by a young RS Sophomore QB. The '10 team by a RS Freshman.

• Nebraska finished 12-1 with a Big 12 title and a #3 ranking.

Personally I would be thrilled if 2010 turns out like 1999.

1999 results

Iowa = 42-7 (W)

California = 45-0 (W)

So. Miss. = 20-13 (W)

Mizzou = 40-10 (W)

Ok. St. = 38-14 (W)

Iowa St. = 49-14 (W)

Texas (#18) = 20-24 (L)

Kansas = 24-17 (W)

Texas A&M (#21) = 37-0 (W)

Kansas St. (#5) = 41-15 (W)

Colorado = 33-30 OT (W)

Texas (#12) = 22-6 (W)

Tennessee (#6) = 31-21 (W) Fiesta Bowl

• In '99 Texas had two losses before they beat an undefeated 3rd ranked Nebraska team 24-20. Same thing happened in '10. Texas ended up finishing 9-5 in '99.

• Kansas State was undefeated and ranked 5th when a one loss 7th ranked Nebraska team beat them 41-15 in '99. Next weekend (10/30/10) an undefeated Mizzou (who will also be ranked ahead of us) will play a one loss Nebraska team. Kansas State finished the season 11-1 and ranked #6 in '99.

• The '99 team was led by a young RS Sophomore QB. The '10 team by a RS Freshman.

1999 was also the year we got commitments from Crawford (a top MLB prospect who ended up opting for the draft) and Lord (recruited as an athlete more than a qb), just as Nebraska now has Starling (another hot prospect in the MLB draft) and Turner (projected to be a wr and not a qb) committed for this year.

History repeats itself haha (ik cliche)

1999 results

Iowa = 42-7 (W)

California = 45-0 (W)

So. Miss. = 20-13 (W)

Mizzou = 40-10 (W)

Ok. St. = 38-14 (W)

Iowa St. = 49-14 (W)

Texas (#18) = 20-24 (L)

Kansas = 24-17 (W)

Colorado = 33-30 OT (W)

Texas (#12) = 22-6 (W)

Hey, I was at that game.

1999 was also the year we got commitments from Crawford (a top MLB prospect who ended up opting for the draft) and Lord (recruited as an athlete more than a qb), just as Nebraska now has Starling (another hot prospect in the MLB draft) and Turner (projected to be a wr and not a qb) committed for this year.

History repeats itself haha (ik cliche)

I'm pretty sure they're recruiting Jamal Turner as a QB.

I hope history is repeating itself, I really do, a Big XII title would be an awesome way to go out. I just don't know what kind of a team we are just yet. :lol:

Just to refresh your memory, Crouch entered the '99 season as a backup to Newcombe even though he had significant playing time in 8 games his RS Freshman year as a backup in '98. Also '99 was the year Crouch threatened to quit the team when he learned he'd be 2nd string to Newcombe again. It wasn't until the 3rd game against Southern Miss. that Crouch was officially named the 1st string QB because Newcombe suffered a knee injury.

I remember some people questioning if Crouch could lead this team as a starting QB due to his youth, especially since his first game as a starter came against Southern Miss. who played us tough that day. We only won 20-13 whereas the previous two weeks under Newcombe we put up consecutive 40+ point games against Iowa and California. Then when Texas beat us, I remember the media backlash Solich received because some people questioned that he should've put Newcombe in at QB the 2nd half when Crouch was struggling.

In a way, we're experiencing some of those same things this year that the '99 team experienced back then. If you look at the final scores of some of those games, you can see a bit of Jekyll & Hyde performances. For example:

Kansas = 24-17 (W) -- Kansas went 5-7 (3-5 in Big 12)

Colorado - 33-30 OT (W) -- Colorado went 7-5 (5-3 in Big 12)

Interestingly enough, Crouch seemed to play his best football against ranked teams (except for Texas) that season. In back-to-back weeks we faced #21 Texas A&M and beat them 37-0 and then faced undefeated #5 Kansas State the following week and won 41-15. Martinez just finished defeating a ranked and undefeated Oklahoma State and is about to face another highly ranked undefeated Mizzou this coming weekend. That in itself is eerie to think that we're potentially looking at history repeating itself again with a young QB that has caused us both praise and happiness as well as heartaches and doubt. Much like Crouch did to us in '99.

Like Martinez, I remember Crouch making young QB mistakes in '99 which was inevitable, but he did get us through the season and we finished 12-1. Not too shabby for a RS Sophomore who started the season as a 2nd stringer. The emotional mood swings that year is on par with what we're experiencing so far this season. Which is why this season is reminiscent to '99, in my opinion.

I hate to say it but, up to this point, the '99 defense was better. The second performance against Texas was dominating in the same way the '09 game was.

BTW, in '99, the undefeated juggernaut (FSU) played the little guy with the weak schedule (VT) in the title game and Nebraska narrowly missed the cut at #3 with one loss. Slim chance we could end up #3 and stuck behind #1 Oregon and #2 Boise State. I said slim!

I hate to say it but, up to this point, the '99 defense was better. The second performance against Texas was dominating in the same way the '09 game was.

BTW, in '99, the undefeated juggernaut (FSU) played the little guy with the weak schedule (VT) in the title game and Nebraska narrowly missed the cut at #3 with one loss. Slim chance we could end up #3 and stuck behind #1 Oregon and #2 Boise State. I said slim!

1999 NU Defensive Rankings

Rushing Defense = 6th

Pass Efficiency Defense = 2nd

Total Defense = 4th

2010 NU Defensive Rankings (through 7 games)

Rushing Defense = 79th

Total Defense = 18th

1999 results

Iowa = 42-7 (W)

California = 45-0 (W)

So. Miss. = 20-13 (W)

Mizzou = 40-10 (W)

Ok. St. = 38-14 (W)

Iowa St. = 49-14 (W)

Texas (#18) = 20-24 (L)

Kansas = 24-17 (W)

Colorado = 33-30 OT (W)

Texas (#12) = 22-6 (W)

I remember that So Miss game being really scary

Thats not a shabby lookin non-conf schedule

1999 results

Iowa = 42-7 (W)

California = 45-0 (W)

So. Miss. = 20-13 (W)

Mizzou = 40-10 (W)

Ok. St. = 38-14 (W)

Iowa St. = 49-14 (W)

Texas (#18) = 20-24 (L)

Kansas = 24-17 (W)

Colorado = 33-30 OT (W)

Texas (#12) = 22-6 (W)

The names look nice, but the teams themselves, not so much. Iowa was truly god-awful around that time, just a couple years before Ferentz got it together. Their only win that year was I-AA UNI. Cal was 4-7 that year. So Southern Miss was the only real test.

1999 results

Iowa = 42-7 (W)

California = 45-0 (W)

So. Miss. = 20-13 (W)

Mizzou = 40-10 (W)

Ok. St. = 38-14 (W)

Iowa St. = 49-14 (W)

Texas (#18) = 20-24 (L)

Kansas = 24-17 (W)

Colorado = 33-30 OT (W)

Texas (#12) = 22-6 (W)

The names look nice, but the teams themselves, not so much. Iowa was truly god-awful around that time, just a couple years before Ferentz got it together. Their only win that year was I-AA UNI. Cal was 4-7 that year. So Southern Miss was the only real test.

Well, does it look better to play Iowa, or Pacific?

1999 NU Defensive Rankings

Rushing Defense = 6th

Total Defense = 4th

2010 NU Defensive Rankings (through 7 games)

Rushing Defense = 79th

Total Defense = 18th

At this point in his career, Bo is years ahead of where McBride was at the same point. I know that giving up some points to Okie State yesterday has a few people gun-shy, but our defense is as good as they get in the Big 12. Gundy knows offense like Bo knows defense.