Gameplanning for Mizzou

GMoose

Personally, I think we got the best of OSU's (soft) defense because we caught them off guard with Martinez throwing it twice as many times as he had in any other game this year. So how do we attack Mizzou? Their pass D is pretty good...they give up a lot of yards but not a lot of points, and they pick it off a lot.

I'd like to see a more balanced attack, to keep their defense on their heels. Play action was working pretty well for us yesterday.

What say you HuskerBoard?

I think we need to approach it the same way as we did against OSU. Come out and throw it around alittle hopefully setting up the run to put them away in the 2nd half. Keeping the defense guessing will be a recipe for success. I think Mizzou now will respect the pass alittle more. Which means they prob wont put 8 in the box to stop Martinez.

During the game on Saturday, I had no idea what play we were gonna run and I loved it. Made the game more exciting for me.

I think we absolutely need to establish a passing game early on, forcing them to respect it and play honest. However, they are aware of what TMart can do if you give him opportunities to do so, so I think they'll be hesitant to cover the passing game as well as they should

Missouri will come out with a plan to stop the running game, just like Texas and Oklahoma State. Martinez will have to pass in order to open things up (and the receivers will have to catch).

That was my original though, but yesterday definitely will make them think twice. Also, Mizzou just doesn't have the athletes like Texas had in the front seven.

True, they don't have the speed that Texas did. But their defensive line looked surprisingly serious and could cause us problems in both the passing and running games. I agree that we'll want a balanced attack with some screens / draws to keep them from pinning their ears back and gunning for Martinez, with some deep balls thrown to open up some room for the ground game. I also think we'll need to find some way to get a little pressure on Gabbert. Here's hoping...

Run it. If that don't work, pass it. If that don't work, run it. Get what I'm sayin'? ;)

Im glad to see Kinnie becoming a playmaker. If Paul can hold on to the ball, which I think he will, I can see the pass being extremely useful. Having two threats at receiver will sure help us. I did notice that it looked as if Martinez throws the ball really low sometimes during the Ok St. game. Did y'all see that too?

I don't think there is any comparison of the OSU defense to that of Misery. Indeed I think this year the are much better than Texas and that will be an obstacle.

I couldn't tell how much that Aldon Smith guy who was coming back from injury played, but I did see him make an interception and run it back a long way in a play that turned things around big time.

I don't know how accurate this guys projections are but if even close to accurate, he is a beast.http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

They are obviously very fast on D. The new back OU was using quite a bit seemed lightening fast and had great moves, but along with Murray didn't get a lot going. Landry had a lot of pressure and though he made a lot of plays, he was obviously hurried. It will likely be by far the most pressure TM has seen. If they over pursue and he gets some easy big plays, we may be fine. If they are successful in putting a spy on TM and frustrating him, I look for some turnovers.

I could be wrong because I've only watched two of Misery's games. Illinois and OU, along with part of their blowout at ATM. But IMO they are by far the best defense we have seen. As fast as Texas, but More disciplined.

I think we can win if we have less than two turnovers and have some success throwing the ball. I hope those calling for a blowout are correct, but I just don't see it . My guess is we'll have to score more than thirty. It might be a lot tougher than 51 at OSU. Can't wait for Saturday, and some rain would't be bad either.

The only way we lose this is if we have a SDSU/Texas like offensive night. I would hope we are past those with those 2 performances, but I guess we just don't know. San Diego State had success running the ball against Missouri, and I would hope our offense is better than theirs. I think we run, and if that doesn't work pass it. But definitely run first in my opinion.

The only way we lose this is if we have a SDSU/Texas like offensive night. I would hope we are past those with those 2 performances, but I guess we just don't know. San Diego State had success running the ball against Missouri, and I would hope our offense is better than theirs. I think we run, and if that doesn't work pass it. But definitely run first in my opinion.

This is where not watching a game and looking at a box score can sometimes throw you off. SDSU is a good runing team. #35 in the country, 185+ a game, nearly 6 yrds a carry. Pretty good. But their game against MU came down to 2 plays. A fluke run when in a rugby scrum a OL grabed and discuss spun the RB out of the pile and he went to the house. The other was just a bad play by Mu and one of the few times they were undisiplined. Two tigers had a chance to stop the play for no gain or 1 yard and both got out of control and lowerd their heads. Those 2 plays accounted for 168 yrds. Outside of that SDSU ran for 82 yrds on 31 trys. SDSU could not run the ball the entire night.

Now here is the BUT.....MU did make the mistake on the 75 yarder. They havent made many this year, but NE has the players to make you pay if you do. The 97 yarder was a fluke play if I have ever seen one. A play like that may never happen again in my lifetime.

Nu's best shot is to be balanced. Same with MU. Should be a good game

I may sound like Pelini, but this game isn't about MU, it's about NU and execution. If Watson calls a game like he did on Saturday and the players execute it, we'll win, period. Watson's offense, when called and ran right, especially with Martinez' ability to ad lib when needed, is unstoppable. BUT, when Watson feels the collar tighten up a bit and starts to call his game not to lose, instead of attacking, it becomes VERY mediocre. I hope Magic proved to him last weekend that he can win games for us with both his arms and legs and Watson leaves the training wheels off. When he gets the offense rolling and the kids execute, it's fun to watch and impossible to stop.

I think it'll be a great game and again, it comes down to what Watson will let our kids do and if our kids can focus and execute. If they can do that, we'll win it. If we get tight and start getting loose with the ball, it could be an ugly afternoon.