Gameplanning for Mizzou

GMoose

The only way we lose this is if we have a SDSU/Texas like offensive night. I would hope we are past those with those 2 performances, but I guess we just don't know. San Diego State had success running the ball against Missouri, and I would hope our offense is better than theirs. I think we run, and if that doesn't work pass it. But definitely run first in my opinion.

This is where not watching a game and looking at a box score can sometimes throw you off. SDSU is a good runing team. #35 in the country, 185+ a game, nearly 6 yrds a carry. Pretty good. But their game against MU came down to 2 plays. A fluke run when in a rugby scrum a OL grabed and discuss spun the RB out of the pile and he went to the house. The other was just a bad play by Mu and one of the few times they were undisiplined. Two tigers had a chance to stop the play for no gain or 1 yard and both got out of control and lowerd their heads. Those 2 plays accounted for 168 yrds. Outside of that SDSU ran for 82 yrds on 31 trys. SDSU could not run the ball the entire night.

Now here is the BUT.....MU did make the mistake on the 75 yarder. They havent made many this year, but NE has the players to make you pay if you do. The 97 yarder was a fluke play if I have ever seen one. A play like that may never happen again in my lifetime.

Nu's best shot is to be balanced. Same with MU. Should be a good game

Saturn was talking about our game vs. South Dakota State, not Missouri's game vs. San Diego State.

I agree that it should be a good game - if both teams bring their A game. If either one doesn't show up properly, it'll be a blowout either way.

The only way we lose this is if we have a SDSU/Texas like offensive night. I would hope we are past those with those 2 performances, but I guess we just don't know. San Diego State had success running the ball against Missouri, and I would hope our offense is better than theirs. I think we run, and if that doesn't work pass it. But definitely run first in my opinion.

This is where not watching a game and looking at a box score can sometimes throw you off. SDSU is a good runing team. #35 in the country, 185+ a game, nearly 6 yrds a carry. Pretty good. But their game against MU came down to 2 plays. A fluke run when in a rugby scrum a OL grabed and discuss spun the RB out of the pile and he went to the house. The other was just a bad play by Mu and one of the few times they were undisiplined. Two tigers had a chance to stop the play for no gain or 1 yard and both got out of control and lowerd their heads. Those 2 plays accounted for 168 yrds. Outside of that SDSU ran for 82 yrds on 31 trys. SDSU could not run the ball the entire night.

Now here is the BUT.....MU did make the mistake on the 75 yarder. They havent made many this year, but NE has the players to make you pay if you do. The 97 yarder was a fluke play if I have ever seen one. A play like that may never happen again in my lifetime.

Saturn was talking about our game vs. South Dakota State, not Missouri's game vs. San Diego State.

I agree that it should be a good game - if both teams bring their A game. If either one doesn't show up properly, it'll be a blowout either way.

Knappy, i was responding to Saturns statment "San Diego State had success running the ball against Missouri, and I would hope our offense is better than theirs."

I was just saying that the box score was a little misleading on just how "successful" SDSU was

Beat me to the punch, fro. That SDSU game was an aberration 'cause this Mizzou D can hold its own against anyone. They play a ferocious, attacking style that causes lots of turnovers. Reminds me of the Saints last year - the defense really pins its ears back to cause turnovers b/c it knows Gabbert leads a high-flying offense that can score at any time. Sure, Oklahoma scored 27 on them, but that was mostly through the air. OU's run offense gained 99 yards on 25 carries as opposed to 303 yards passing on 50 attempts b/c the Sooners were playing comeback for most of the 2nd half. As mentioned numerous times already, turnovers play a huge part in big games like this. Turnovers ultimately cost OU the game, so it's just as likely when we play Mizzou this Saturday, regardless of how many running or passing yards we gain.

Play action will work well against mizzou. They will force us to pass by shutting down the run, but we need to stop running to the outside and run the ball at them. Martinez should be the only one running to the outside. Expect Mizzou to dedicate two guys to cover Martinez at all times. That should leave gaps in the passing games. The problem has been we became so attuned to running Martinez that we never were ready to pass the ball with him. Now I see I two dimensional offense rather than a one dimensional offense like what we had at the beginning of the season.

Defense will need to play the pass well and force turnovers. I would not be surprised to see Gabbert take off and run the ball. They know the defense has difficulty protecting the run and they will do what Texas did, run the QB. Mizzou isn't defeated by luck.

But I do agree turnovers are ultimately going to decide who wins this game, the blackshirts defense is going to have to force turnovers to keep the margin in the Huskers favor. I already know we will fumble the ball a few times.

i would like to see less zone read and more hand off to the RBs....let our horses do some work....

they will key on martinez so let them, then use the RB...when they start to adjust, then goto

Martinez with the read...we need to keep them guessing...Watson hasnt seemed to be doing that IMO...

he needs to take what the D is giving him and then change when they change...

And as for the D...Blitz every now and then....Suh is gone...we need to get pressure on the

other team's QB and RBs in the backfield!

Knappy, i was responding to Saturns statment "San Diego State had success running the ball against Missouri, and I would hope our offense is better than theirs."

I was just saying that the box score was a little misleading on just how "successful" SDSU was

Yep, you're right. I saw where Saturn wrote SDSU/Texas and flew right over the San Diego State thing. Nevermind. :)

Got this from OWH

Running backs step up

Missouri’s ground game came alive Saturday and added some balance to its attack.

As a team, the Tigers totaled 178 rushing yards on 39 carries against Oklahoma, which was more production from their ground game than they had during both of their previous conference games combined. Their 181 rushing attempts on the season ranked last in the Big 12.

The backfield duo of De’Vion Moore and Henry Josey turned out to have large roles in the Missouri game plan. Moore had 73 yards and Josey had 64.

It will be interesting to see if the running game is emphasized to that extent against Nebraska.

Other than their shutdown performance against Kansas State’s Daniel Thomas, the Huskers haven’t defended the run consistently well this season. Oklahoma State’s Kendall Hunter ran for 201 yards Saturday.

Nose guard out

Missouri’s defense will be without a big piece on Saturday.

Starting nose guard Dominique Hamilton, a 6-foot-5, 305-pounder who plugs running lanes and disrupts throwing pockets, broke his foot during the first quarter on Saturday night.

Hamilton is out for the year.

The injury is a blow to the Tigers’ unit, though that group has performed well all season.

Missouri leads the conference in scoring defense (13.1 points per game) and ranks second at defending the run (114.6 yards per game). The Tigers allowed a season-high 27 points to Oklahoma, but they recorded two interceptions and held the Sooners to just 99 total rushing yards.

Regarding Mizzou's run game, why wouldn't the Tigers emphasize it against our D? Clearly we're having difficulty stopping the run against balanced or pass-heavy offenses (Texas and OSU). I don't think Mizzou's RBs can break tackles as well as Kendall Hunter, but they have speed and can reach our 2nd tier just as quickly. No doubt we MUST make tackles and not let these guys bounce free like we have the last couple games. Aside from Daniel Thomas, who rarely broke free from the 1st defender he ran into, we've had issues letting opposing RBs run right through or around the 1st defender they see. That cannot happen.

And then regarding the injury to Hamilton, clearly Mizzou did just fine without him. Our O-line cannot under-estimate his replacement by any means 'cause it seemed like the Tigers front 4 was just as good w/o him. At the same time, when the 2nd string nose tackle isn't plugging running lanes like Hamilton, we gotta take advantage.

i would like to see less zone read and more hand off to the RBs....let our horses do some work....

they will key on martinez so let them, then use the RB...when they start to adjust, then goto

Martinez with the read...we need to keep them guessing...Watson hasnt seemed to be doing that IMO...

he needs to take what the D is giving him and then change when they change...

And as for the D...Blitz every now and then....Suh is gone...we need to get pressure on the

other team's QB and RBs in the backfield!

This was the difference between SDSU and Texas, SDSU played against Martinez, Texas and Okie state played against the run and forced Martinez to pass. Mizzou will do the something, only they will mix and match blitzes and respect the pass unlike what Okie state did.

Injuries and suspensions have plagued the Tigers all year, its nothing short of a miracle that they are the only undefeated team in the Big 12. I don't want to see the Huskers underestimate them.

I don't think there is any comparison of the OSU defense to that of Misery. Indeed I think this year the are much better than Texas and that will be an obstacle.

I couldn't tell how much that Aldon Smith guy who was coming back from injury played, but I did see him make an interception and run it back a long way in a play that turned things around big time.

I don't know how accurate this guys projections are but if even close to accurate, he is a beast.http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

They are obviously very fast on D. The new back OU was using quite a bit seemed lightening fast and had great moves, but along with Murray didn't get a lot going. Landry had a lot of pressure and though he made a lot of plays, he was obviously hurried. It will likely be by far the most pressure TM has seen. If they over pursue and he gets some easy big plays, we may be fine. If they are successful in putting a spy on TM and frustrating him, I look for some turnovers.

I could be wrong because I've only watched two of Misery's games. Illinois and OU, along with part of their blowout at ATM. But IMO they are by far the best defense we have seen. As fast as Texas, but More disciplined.

I think we can win if we have less than two turnovers and have some success throwing the ball. I hope those calling for a blowout are correct, but I just don't see it . My guess is we'll have to score more than thirty. It might be a lot tougher than 51 at OSU. Can't wait for Saturday, and some rain would't be bad either.

I disagree with that statement especially the "more disciplined" part of it. I don't think they are disciplined at all on defense. They never stay in their pass rushing lane at all. If that be the case this week it is going to take one QB draw from TMart and they will learn. I don't think their defense is as fast as ours. There was only one thing that I agreed with the announcers on during the Texas game, and that was them saying we have the fastest defense at any level of football.

MU ranks as the 76th best pass defense this year and the 23rd best rush defense. They just lost a huge part of their DL to injury as well.

Make no mistakes, MU's strength is throwing the football. They only began to run the ball when they needed the clock to stay moving.

You have to go into the game with the idea of being balanced. Missouri doesn't have the athletes on defense that Texas does, which means the running game should be easier to start at home this week. Oklahoma State got torched last week thinking they could win by making Martinez pass, and they were clearly mistaken.

I think we really want to approach this game like we did OSU.

Fro, I did see highlights of the game and did more than just look at the box score. I was aware of those 2 long plays but didn't realize they accumulated for such a large percentage of the SDSU..err better say San Diego State :) running that night. Seeing those plays, I agree that Missouri needs to watch for the big plays. Missouri has an outstanding D-Line as shown by their excellent red zone defense. I still think if the Huskers have success it will be from long running plays similar to how they scored against Kansas State.

You have to go into the game with the idea of being balanced. Missouri doesn't have the athletes on defense that Texas does, which means the running game should be easier to start at home this week. Oklahoma State got torched last week thinking they could win by making Martinez pass, and they were clearly mistaken.

I think we really want to approach this game like we did OSU.

Actually after watching Texas three times now and Missouri w OU, Illinois and. Most of the ATM game, I believe misery is much better and faster on D than this year's Texas squad. They are nothing like osu on D. Perhaps if they overun the play Martinez will get away for a long td. However, they seem to get to the ball carrier quickly. TM is not at his best breaking tackles and then going for a long gain, so if they contact him, he is likely going down. Now if helu or burk get in space and break a tackle they might go all the way. We have to be balanced, but watching the MU D, TM won't have long to make up his mind and if he makes a mistake they will pick it off. Osu would be a powerhouse if they were not so soft on D. If we can execute on the first couple series and have the tigers beginning to doubt, I think we can pull this off. If we turn it over early, I'm afraid we'll have the same problem. Should be a great game in Lincoln.

Fro, I did see highlights of the game and did more than just look at the box score. I was aware of those 2 long plays but didn't realize they accumulated for such a large percentage of the SDSU..err better say San Diego State :) running that night. Seeing those plays, I agree that Missouri needs to watch for the big plays. Missouri has an outstanding D-Line as shown by their excellent red zone defense. I still think if the Huskers have success it will be from long running plays similar to how they scored against Kansas State.

I dont disagree with that at all. Infact if NE didnt have TM and that big play threat I would not be near as worried as I am. That is the X factor as far am I am concerned. He scares the S*** out of me. MU hasnt made a ton of mistakes and has done well in forming a tight pocket against running qbs. but spy or not, it is a worry.

I dont disagree with that at all. Infact if NE didnt have TM and that big play threat I would not be near as worried as I am. That is the X factor as far am I am concerned. He scares the S*** out of me. MU hasnt made a ton of mistakes and has dont well in forming a tight pocket against running qbs. but spy or not, it is a worry.

And Martinez is bound to break free on another game-breaker at some point. He's been kept in check for the most part the last 2 games. Even though he ran for 100+ vs OSU, he didn't have any huge highlight runs. No better time than against Mizzou to bust out the wheels again.