What will this game mean 10 years from now?

If Nebraska wins tomorrow I believe this game becomes somewhat forgettable. Nebraska will have bragging rights over MU, which they have always had anyway. Nebraska almost certainly goes to the CCG which will be a great transition statement. However, overtime I don't think people will remember beating MU as the key that got NE into the CCG.

If Nebraska loses, this game will be remembered forever. MU will not let you forget. The BIG12 will not let you forget. Nebraska's entire motivation for leaving the BIG12 will be put in doubt. People will say you left because you couldn't win the conference anymore. Missouri had won the North 3 of last 4 years. Nebraska had only been to the CCG twice in the last decade and had lost both times. It was becoming increasingly obvious that NE was MU's b*tch. Etc, etc. Of course that is all hyperbole.....but it will be said and it will be said often.

Just some food for thought. No pressure tomorrow guys.

Regardless of the outcome tomorrow, can Missouri wear those uniforms with that bada$$ all black helmet? Are those the Nike Pro Combat Revolution Uniforms? Even though I hate Missouri, those are some sweet looking uniforms.

RackMultipart.8497.0_display_image.jpg?1259094470

So go ahead and leave feeling like a power house looking down on all the little people but it just isn't the case.

That's exactly the case. Sorry we lost arguably the best coach in football history and then went through a few lean years of transition. It happens to the best of teams. However, you can't argue with history. You also can't argue that our lean years in the Big 12 were as good or better than Mizzou's BEST YEARS EVER. Thats pretty sad. Ill say it again....ENJOY BEING IRRELEVANT IN THE MOUNTAIN WEST WITHIN 5 YEARS.

so you will the same for CU right? They were the first to leave... also didn't the whole thing get started by MU's president lobbying for the Big 10 in the first place? But think what you want, in 10 years everyone will say NU left the Big 12 because Mizzou beat them the couple of years. Ok got it. :thumbs Since the Big 12 start, Mizzou has rode the coat tails of NU, CU and KSU, but for the last few years they have had their turn, but there is one thing the previous 3 have in common that Mizzou does not.

Nobody cares about CU in Missouri. Honestly I had forgotten they were even leaving. I think I recall a post or two containing a sentiment that it was nice we shut them out for the last time. In general though no one really took notice. If they were a Pre-Season Top 10 it would have been different.

Actually it was the Gov of Missouri that first started headlines by bascially pimping MU to the BIG Ten in a press conference. After that it got out of control.

So better get that gloating in if you do win in the next week. Cause next year you lose your most hyped game and become nothing to us but a footnote in the record-books.

Sorry to tell you but we've had bigger games against lowly kU over the past few years than we've had with you.

Im glad you feel that way cause nobody, and I mean NOBODY cares about any of the games we have had with you.....Actually I take that back...I still enjoy watching us beat you in 97!

Bottom line is that during the Big 12 era, Nebraska was JUST ANOTHER SCHOOL in the far weaker north division. You can puff out your chest and hate on Missouri football all you want but the fact is you were never able to become the "big dog" you thought you should've been in a pretty weak football conference. Even if you beat Missouri and lose to Oklahoma in the Big 12 CCG (which WILL happen if you face them), you're still just another team in this conference. Oklahoma and Texas have been elite...Missouri, Kansas State, Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, OK State have had their years, and Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State have been largely bad. You can keep on thinking you're a step above and its great that the Big 10 split up the divisions and considered you one of the conference powers BUT during the Big 12 years, Nebraska was largely a middle tier team. WHen the Big 12 formed, everyone expected it to be Nebraska vs. Oklahoma or Texas every year in the CCG but you couldn't do it. (You let freaking Kansas hang 70 on you at home for crying out loud). So go ahead and leave feeling like a power house looking down on all the little people but it just isn't the case.

Ya well, who haven't you let put 70 up on you at home? Troll elsewhere. I'm sorry the Big 12 was formed right when we lost one of those most legendary coaches in the history of college football. I hate to break it to you but you're not going to make me feel ashamed of needing to rebuild after 30 years and 5 national championships of not needing to do so.

Nebraska is 2-3 in the conference championship game. Mizzou is 0-2. Hell, we've even sniffed one MNC game since we became 'mid tier.' Mizzou has seen (drumroll please) 0. I'll let you do the math and put that Harvard of the Midwest degree to work. I shouldn't fault you for not knowing these things though, as you likely became a Mizzou fan last Saturday or 2007.

I've got hundreds of hours of entertainment and emotional highs out of Nebraska. You have from 1 week to 3 years of wishing your team did better than a north co-championship.

Tigerboard is that way --->

so you will the same for CU right? They were the first to leave... also didn't the whole thing get started by MU's president lobbying for the Big 10 in the first place? But think what you want, in 10 years everyone will say NU left the Big 12 because Mizzou beat them the couple of years. Ok got it. :thumbs Since the Big 12 start, Mizzou has rode the coat tails of NU, CU and KSU, but for the last few years they have had their turn, but there is one thing the previous 3 have in common that Mizzou does not.

Nobody cares about CU in Missouri. Honestly I had forgotten they were even leaving. I think I recall a post or two containing a sentiment that it was nice we shut them out for the last time. In general though no one really took notice. If they were a Pre-Season Top 10 it would have been different.

Actually it was the Gov of Missouri that first started headlines by bascially pimping MU to the BIG Ten in a press conference. After that it got out of control.

Man, CU just can't catch a break can they? :lol: OK i will leave CU out of further discussions since everyone is on the same page about them here. :thumbs

Man. Talk about delusions of grandeur!

Missouri means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Missouri is a footnote in the history of college football. If Missouri wins this game, ten years from now nobody will remember it was ever played. The only possible way this game could have that kind of meaning is if Missouri were a legit National Championship contender, and won the title. Even then your victory over Oklahoma last week will make this game seem like a blip on the radar. Whomever you beat in the CCG to get to the MNC game, that will be remembered.

Nebraska's motives for leaving the Big XII have nothing to do with Missouri, not now, not ten years from now, not ever. Nebraska is wrapped up in this with one school, and one school only, in the eyes of the national media, and subsequently in the eyes of sports fans across the country. Can you guess who that team is? Here's a hint - they wear burnt orange and they've already beaten us this year.

Whether Nebraska wins this game, the conference title and a BCS game won't matter a hill of beans. The story of why we left the Big 12 is, was, and always will be this: We got pissed at Texas, and we left in a huff. It's entirely untrue, but that's the story. That will also be the story if we lose to Missouri, if we don't go to the Conference Championship Game, or a quality bowl. It's about Texas and Nebraska, period.

KNOW YOUR PLACE! This is the sad reality of Missouri football - even if you beat us, even if you win the conference, even if you go on to a swell BCS game and win that, even if ALL of that happens, nationally you'll still be a side story. Sure, you'll get some pub for a while - Cincy did last year, too - but after bowl season and we move on, your role in this will be ignored. Why? Because you're not a national powerhouse. You're not one of the Pillars of College Football. You're a bit-player, not a marquee headliner.

This is not smack talk. This is simple reality. You have no championships. You have no trophy winners. You have no tradition, no history, nothing about you that separates you from the pack. Tora! Tora! Tora! said it himself without knowing it, "Nobody cares about CU in Missouri." Of course you don't. Colorado sucks. But Colorado has done something Missouri never has - won a National Championship. They've had a Heisman Trophy winner. They've won conference championships. They've done all these things, and yet you still don't care about them.

Imagine how the landscape of college football thinks of Missouri when you frame it that way. Think really hard, and think objectively.

If you can truly do that, you'll realize how silly the opening post of this thread is. It's a farce. Nobody will care ten years from now what Missouri did in 2010. Nobody will care if you beat us this year. We're no juggernaut team of destiny blazing a trail to the BCS National Championship game. We're a semi-decent team with some major flaws. We don't have enough cache for anyone to truly care if you beat us. Unranked Texas beat us, and that'll resonate more, and longer, than a Missouri win tomorrow.

Conference realignment has never been about you. It's never going to be about you, either. Missouri will never be mentioned as a major player in the events that have shaped this time; or if they are mentioned, it'll be as a bleak reminder of the forlorn, sad girl who got all dressed up to go to the prom, but spent the night at home, stood up once again.

• Fire 5

God forbid that we lose tomorrow....but if we do....I hope Mizzou remains undefeated and wins the Big 12 title game.

That way we can all take pleasure in listening to their fans crying once again when undefeated Boise State plays in the MNC game instead of mighty Mizzou. :clap

I'm not really sure I got my point across as well as I'd liked with this thread. I thought of an analogy that may help. If a book were to be written about all the craziness of the conference realignment of 2010, I don't think a MU loss to NE would even be mentioned. I believe a MU win over NE would dominate most of the final chapter.

Really Nebraska fans should take it as a compliment (just as DJR313 expressed). Nebraska beating Missouri really isn't news at a national level. Missouri handing NE a final loss on their way out will open up so many questions.

I'm not really sure I got my point across as well as I'd liked with this thread. I thought of an analogy that may help. If a book were to be written about all the craziness of the conference realignment of 2010, I don't think a MU loss to NE would even be mentioned. I believe a MU win over NE would dominate most of the final chapter.

Really Nebraska fans should take it as a compliment (just as DJR313 expressed). Nebraska beating Missouri really isn't news at a national level. Missouri handing NE a final loss on their way out will open up so many questions.

Again, know your place. "Dominate most of the final chapter?" Maybe in a book written by Missouri Fan, intended to be sold in Missouri. Nobody outside of Missouri cares about Missouri, or what Missouri does. This will not change if you win tomorrow, other than making a week's worth of headlines.