Video of Osborne's Hit / Blown Call

epocSoN

You have to wonder why they didn't throw the flag on Osborne. It was helmet-to-helmet.

There are two possible reasons:

1) They saw that Gabbert ducked into the hit, making the helmet contact incidental.

2) They know that if the play is not penalized on the field, a player may be suspended at a later time.

The second option is more nefarious, of course. We'll see if Osborne is suspended. That would make the second straight week that a referee looked directly at the player that was hit but didn't throw a flag, yet later the league office suspended our guy.

I've been at the last two games and been hearing the complaining about the announcers, and I just have to say wow. Does he just wait and wait for the chance to bring that subject up?

One more question, how much did they talk about the suspension? Cause I feel like from just watching this it was brought up a lot.

Hmmm...not sure that they even brought it up at all.

oNe you should watch the replay on espn3 to hear how bad the anouncers truely are. They did mention the suspension after Osbornes hit but not really to harp on it, only to show that the big 12 was cracking down on helmet to helmet htis.

Ehh...I live in Colorado now and have Quest. Can't get espn3...i wish.

Here ya go ESPN3

I just realized this as I was talking to my brother in law about the play.

They went to media time out after the sack. Which gave Gabbert time to collect himself, but there was NO REASON for ABC to take a timeout and stop the game. To my recollection the only reason they are allowed to go to media time out is during a long player injury, change of possession or score. None of these happened, and they didn't review the call on the field.

Somebody explain this to me, this game was handled so poorly, this crew should be fired.

You have to wonder why they didn't throw the flag on Osborne. It was helmet-to-helmet.

1) They saw that Gabbert ducked into the hit, making the helmet contact incidental.

2) They know that if the play is not penalized on the field, a player may be suspended at a later time.

The second option is more nefarious, of course. We'll see if Osborne is suspended. That would make the second straight week that a referee looked directly at the player that was hit but didn't throw a flag, yet later the league office suspended our guy.

There is a difference between Helmet to Helmet, and leading with the crown of your helmet.

There was helmet to helmet contact, but he didn't lead with the crown. It was a correct no call. But they absolutely f'd up with fumble call.

They went to media time out after the sack. Which gave Gabbert time to collect himself, but there was NO REASON for ABC to take a timeout and stop the game. To my recollection the only reason they are allowed to go to media time out is during a long player injury, change of possession or score. None of these happened, and they didn't review the call on the field.

Somebody explain this to me, this game was handled so poorly, this crew should be fired.

We noticed this in the stadium, too. Some others have asked about it as well. I would like to know if it was on a quarter-hour mark, when they typically go to commercial.

I know there were a LOT of media timeouts this game. The second quarter seemed to drag on forever.

There is a difference between Helmet to Helmet, and leading with the crown of your helmet.

There was helmet to helmet contact, but he didn't lead with the crown. It was a correct no call. But they absolutely f'd up with fumble call.

We'll see what happens Wednesday. I will not be surprised if Smith sits out the ISU game.

I was watching the espn feed and not the abc feed. they went to a commercial and there was no indication of a offical review. one replay on here shows the ref talking but when the west coast espn feed came on they said, "well, I guess its 3rd and 22".

No explanation of what the hell happened at all. They allowed Gabbert to collect himself with no timeout or official stopping play. It looked like it was a TV timeout. WTH is that!

We'll see what happens Wednesday. I will not be surprised if Smith sits out the ISU game.

You mean Osbourne???? But yeah he is gonna sit a game, this is almost for certain. This was bigger hit in IMO than Martins was and it was on one of big time players of the conference.

with all the deabte the last two weeks I looked up the rule on "targeting/defenseless player"

Targeting/Initiating Contact with Crown of the Helmet

ARTICLE 3.

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question, it is a foul.

PENALTY—Personal foul. 15 yards. For dead-ball fouls, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. Also, automatic first down for Team B fouls if not in conflict with other rules. (Exception: Penalties for Team A personal fouls behind the neutral zone are enforced from the previous spot. Safety if the foul occurs behind Team A’s goal line) [s7, S24, S34, S38, S39, S40, S41, S45 or S46]. Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified [s47].

For Team A fouls during free or scrimmage kick plays: Enforcement may be at the previous spot or the spot where the subsequent dead ball belongs to Team B (field-goal plays exempted) (Rules 6-1-8 and 6-3-13).

Defenseless Player: Contact to Head or Neck Area

ARTICLE 4

No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder. When in question, it is a foul. (See Points of Emphasis for a description of “Defenseless Player.”)

PENALTY—(Same as above)

2010 rules committee action report

clearly the hit is not agianst the aformentioned rule, it was not targeting, Gabbert was not defenseless, just a good, hard, highlight quality hit.

I have tried to find on here what defenseless means. Does the ball player has to be in a karate stance? Or kung fu fighting stance? I am so confused.

Also, someone needs to splain to Ed 'richie' Cunningham that 'targeting' is very specific in saying leading with the crown which is the top. The top is not the face mask.