Put away hopes of NC

WYHusk

I wouldn't want this team to go to the NC and get smoked by Oregon or TCU. It would be just like 2001. Let's just win the final Big 12 Championship Game, go to the Fiesta Bowl, beat Pitt/West Virginia, and let this young offense build confidence going into next season. 13-1, Big 12 Champs, Fiesta Bowl Champs sounds good to me.

13-1, Big 12 Champs, National Champions sounds even better....matter of fact 12-2, Big 12 Champs, and runner up in the MOTHER FLIPPING National Championship game sounds better, too.

Why not play for the game, if you asked the team, the coaches, the Athletic Department at any school they would rather make it to the game with 60 minutes to play for a Championship than to a different bowl to avoid the embarrassment.

What if they lose the Fiesta Bowl? Would you still be happy we avoided the loss in the National Championship game? I don't get the defeatist attitude of some. Give me 60 minutes for a shot everything, a chance to win it all, a chance to leave it all on the field. Let them prove they are better than me, or are going to embarrass me, on the field.

Bill Callahan killed this fanbase to its very core. We need to remember that we are Nebraska, dammit. We play for National Championships.

thats another good point. if we win the big 12 we will probably play a team that is every bit as good as the teams in the title game. only 2 of auburn/boise/tcu/oregon/lsu/bama so on can play in the title game. and imo there isn that much difference between them all.

also to add to the list of teams that a bad loss in a bowl has helped.... 1996 Florida, 1998 Tennessee.

As a college football fan, I think Oregon is a legitimate monster and an Oregon vs. Auburn NC game would be fairly epic.

There's still no solution to TCU and Boise State besides letting them line up against the BCS's best.

Chances of people being pissed off about the eventual match-ups: 100%

The Huskers won a squeaker against an unranked team with their third string quarterback. They will probably jump two places up the polls tonight.

Before yesterday, the Huskers were ranked higher than any other one-loss team not named Alabama in the BCS. And the Huskers are the only one loss contender who lost to an unranked team. The Husker's have all the respect they need, and maybe a little more than they've earned. I think Stanford could give everyone above them fits.

Nebraska is a helluva fun team to watch. They've looked outstanding in nationally televised games this year, except for Texas. And Texas cratering out doesn't make it look worse for Nebraska, it makes it look more like the anomaly game every team gets.

I wouldn't look any farther down the road than Kansas.

This is an enjoyable season. Best in years.

And hey...at least we don't have to play South Dakota State and Iowa State next year. ;)

Why not play for the game, if you asked the team, the coaches, the Athletic Department at any school they would rather make it to the game with 60 minutes to play for a Championship than to a different bowl to avoid the embarrassment.

Totally agree. Absolutely no reason not to aim high. The Huskers could beat anyone ahead of them just as easily as they could get upset by Iowa State. Or South Dakota State. That's the very nature of sports and most of the fun. If a team gets its feelings hurt by a big loss and are unable to recover, they will never be winners anyway.

• Fire 1

Totally agree. Absolutely no reason not to aim high. The Huskers could beat anyone ahead of them just as easily as they could get upset by Iowa State. Or South Dakota State. That's the very nature of sports and most of the fun. If a team gets its feelings hurt by a big loss and are unable to recover, they will never be winners anyway.

Thank you, with a name like Guy Chamberlin you should agree! ;)

I disagree. To be honest with you, I think what happened to other teams besides us helped us more than they hurt us.

The events that occurred today definitely helped us. LSU beating Alabama helped SO much. here's what we need now:

1. LSU loses to Arkansas in last week (likely)

2. Auburn loses to Alabama in last week (likely)

3. Auburn loses SEC Champ game likely to South Carolina (very possible)

4. Ohio State loses to Iowa or Michigan (could happen)

5. We stay ahead of one-loss Wisconsin, Boise, TCU (remember having a Big XII Championship game is a huge advantage for us)

If all 5 of these happen and we win out we make it to the National Championship vs. Oregon. It's obviously not very likely that ALL of these happen.. but they could.

"Stay ahead" of TCU and Boise? How do we stay ahead of them if we are already several spots behind them? I'll say it again, a one-loss team has no chance of jumping an unbeaten TCU. Either TCU gets upset by SDSU, or BOTH Auburn and Oregon lose, or the one-loss teams are outta luck.

I don't think you needed to have a sarcastic response here. In fact I'm pretty sure this is my second straight post that you felt the need to make a witty comment on. I was thinking of Wisconsin when I typed stay ahead, then realized I didn't feel like making a #6 on my list so I bunched it with Boise and TCU. If you couldn't understand what I meant then that's not my problem.

As for your argument, I disagree. The computers will like us more than TCU, so we need to impress the voters. Having a Big XII Championship game is huge. Voters have short memories and if we play a complete game vs whoever we play (looks like it'll be Okie St) it could be enough. I didn't say we would jump them but it's more possible than TCU actually losing one of those games.

People are so concerned over whether or not we CAN go to the championship that they're not focusing on whether or not we SHOULD go to the championship. We are not a championship caliber team. I don't know when you all will realize that if today didn't show you.

Thats the thing though, NO ONE is really a championship caliber team this year. Oregon has a great offense but a very mediocre defense and hasn't played anyone (they remind me a bit of our 1983 team with less talent) Auburn is good but not a great team and a suspect defense as well. LSU is not a great team but gets very lucky a lot. Noone from the Big 10 is great either. The Non-AQ teams are solid teams but play absolutely noone and are not title worthy..

We have flaws and weaknesses,but so does everyone else. We may not make it, but we have as much right to be in the title game as any other 1 loss BCS team and a lot more than any undefeated non-aq team.

People are so concerned over whether or not we CAN go to the championship that they're not focusing on whether or not we SHOULD go to the championship. We are not a championship caliber team. I don't know when you all will realize that if today didn't show you.

Thats the thing though, NO ONE is really a championship caliber team this year. Oregon has a great offense but a very mediocre defense and hasn't played anyone (they remind me a bit of our 1983 team with less talent) Auburn is good but not a great team and a suspect defense as well. LSU is not a great team but gets very lucky a lot. Noone from the Big 10 is great either. The Non-AQ teams are solid teams but play absolutely noone and are not title worthy..

We have flaws and weaknesses,but so does everyone else. We may not make it, but we have as much right to be in the title game as any other 1 loss BCS team and a lot more than any undefeated non-aq team.

Exactly. Compare us with the competition. With Martinez and Dennard, I think we can play with anybody except for maybe Oregon..