Bubba vs Turner

I prefer both because we have seen what it's like to get down to our 3rd string qb and have to run the wildcat with a rb instead. Plus, I think it would be sweet to have a two qb system where Jamal lines up all over the place, WR, slot, rb, and qb. If it comes down to us only getting one of the guys, i pick Jamal. I'm super pumped about Bubba, but Jamal has that electricity that can be used all over the place.

I'm going to go with Bubba, and it has little-nothing to do with athletic ability. I know nothing about Jamal in this regard, he sounds like a great kid and competitor, but from everything I've heard Bubba is a very intelligent kid. He's smart, thinks quick on his feet, and has a number of life experiences that Jamal doesn't bring to the table. Bubba's seen the bright lights, played on big stages with the USA teams. He's not going to be impacted in any way with a little stardome (similar to Martinez). He's a small town kid, blue collar, etc. If he shows up on campus no one can doubt his comittment to this team. He will have just passed up millions of dollars for it.

When I look at some of our busts at QB recently I think of Dailey, Beau Davis, Beck, Keller & Cody Green (yes I'm going to go ahead and throw him in there but hope he still proves me wrong). Keller wasn't here long, but Green seems to be about as dumb as a box of rocks, and gets rattled easily on the big stage. Dailey never could figure out the playbook. Davis, Beck...similar stories. Some of our successes at QB (Ganz, Taylor) haven't been the best athletes, but have been intelligent game managers. I think, had Witt stayed and competed he might have found success last year and ultimilately this year for these reasons.

Now, maybe that's not where we're going, maybe athletic ability should come first, and IQ second - but IMO, as long as Watson is in that booth we need intelligence and composure much more than we need raw athletic ability (under center that is).

As of right now, I would take Jamal because he has one thing that makes him stand above Bubba right now. He has leadership skills that just cannot be taught, and thats soemthing this team seems to be lacking this year on offense. Maybe Taylor will gorw into that down the road, but Jamal has that attribute.

My head tells me Bubba because of his body but Turner just seems so electric, not to mention a better passer (based on HS stats). That's all I got. Thoughts?

Really? I know he (Turner) had 8 touchdown passes but also had 8 interceptions in 2010. His junior year he had 13 touchdown passes but threw 10 interceptions. He threw another 8 picks his sophomore season. By comparison Starling threw 18 touchdowns last year and only had 6 interceptions.

I don't see Turner as a division 1 quarterback. I see him being utilized another way. Just my opinion.

My head tells me Bubba because of his body but Turner just seems so electric, not to mention a better passer (based on HS stats). That's all I got. Thoughts?

Really? I know he (Turner) had 8 touchdown passes but also had 8 interceptions in 2010. His junior year he had 13 touchdown passes but threw 10 interceptions. He threw another 8 picks his sophomore season. By comparison Starling threw 18 touchdowns last year and only had 6 interceptions.

I don't see Turner as a division 1 quarterback. I see him being utilized another way. Just my opinion.

I'm not saying Turner is a better passer. It just seems that way whenever I see the weekly stat check on Rivals. Yeah he throws some interceptions, but his team is dreadful so that's on his offensive line and receivers too. Bubba literally throws no more than 4 passes per game, and a lot of times I see the stat line of 1 for 4 for 20 yards and an INT. Maybe it's because Bubba's team doesn't need to throw since they run all over teams, but I would trust Jamal as a passer more because he throws it 20-30 times per game in HS.

We don't know how good either one is until he puts on a Husker uniform. Very premature. Maybe Brion Carnes is better.

How about we let them actually get in here first, then go through a camp (since if Bubba gets here, he wont be participating in spring ball i would assume...), then see how they do before we anoint either one... would hate to see another Green situation play out.. so much hype that he can't get the chance to grow.

You're right, maybe we should just get rid of the recruiting section entirely since it's pointless to discuss anything regarding "potential" Husker players. I really feel terriable because I know it was Huskerboard that stunted Green's development. It's all our fault. At least we can take comfort in knowing that Owa's 2750 post thread only did damage to UCLA and his chances to ever become the player he could have been.

We don't know how good either one is until he puts on a Husker uniform. Very premature. Maybe Brion Carnes is better.

How about we let them actually get in here first, then go through a camp (since if Bubba gets here, he wont be participating in spring ball i would assume...), then see how they do before we anoint either one... would hate to see another Green situation play out.. so much hype that he can't get the chance to grow.

You're right, maybe we should just get rid of the recruiting section entirely since it's pointless to discuss anything regarding "potential" Husker players. I really feel terriable because I know it was Huskerboard that stunted Green's development. It's all our fault. At least we can take comfort in knowing that Owa's 2750 post thread only did damage to UCLA and his chances to ever become the player he could have been.

Are you kidding me? When did I say that we stunted his growth? It's the same thing that happened with Marlon Lucky. People over hype him, and no matter what he does in his career, short of winning the heisman and a national title, it isn't good enough. I made a statement saying maybe we should see what they do before we know who we want out there more. Green is a damn sophomore for God's sake. True Sophomore. Most kids aren't starting by that point. Instead, people are expecting him to be a stud, and not allowing him to make mistakes that kids will make. He get's bashed. On your sarcastic point though, think about it. Do you not think everyone ragging on him has some effect on his mentality? Look at Niles. Would he have deleted his facebook had it not bothered him?

Are you kidding me? When did I say that we stunted his growth? It's the same thing that happened with Marlon Lucky. People over hype him, and no matter what he does in his career, short of winning the heisman and a national title, it isn't good enough. I made a statement saying maybe we should see what they do before we know who we want out there more. Green is a damn sophomore for God's sake. True Sophomore. Most kids aren't starting by that point. Instead, people are expecting him to be a stud, and not allowing him to make mistakes that kids will make. He get's bashed. On your sarcastic point though, think about it. Do you not think everyone ragging on him has some effect on his mentality? Look at Niles. Would he have deleted his facebook had it not bothered him?

I'm on both of your sides. I agree that we as fans should be able to talk about recruits and speculate as to what they could do here. At the same time, it does lead to over-hyping a player. If Marlon Lucky were a 3-star recruit and produced the way he did, he would be loved. Since he was a 5-star, he's the biggest bust of all time. It's too bad it has to be that way. But still I enjoy talking about recruits so I'm going to keep doing it.

• Fire 1