Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

Bo isn't the only coach in Husker history to take stabs at the fanbase. Looks like a legendary coach did it as well and guess who that was.....Dr. Tom Osborne.

Huskers Look to Crowd for Lift Osborne to Fans: Crank Up Noise

Date: September 18, 1991

Publication: Omaha World-Herald (NE)

Edition: Sunrise

Section: Sports Page: 27sf

Nebraska Coach Tom Osborne wants to expand his roster for Saturday night by about 76,000 people.

He said the ninth - ranked Huskers need every NU fan at sold - out Memorial Stadium to help in the team's bid to upset No. 4 Washington.

"I'm hoping we have some enthusiasm,"Osborne said, "so it's not so easy a place to play as it has been over the years."

In the past, Osborne has answered...

Link to the article

N.U. Fans Pump Up The Noise

Date: September 22, 1991

Section: NEWS Page: 1A

Finally, the tomb turned into a tumult.

Long criticized for being a passive, ho - hum crowd, the red - clad Nebraska throng of 76,304 raised a ruckus in Saturday night's nationally televised game against fourth - ranked Washington.

The roar continued as Nebraska led into the fourth quarter before Washington pulled away to a 36 - 21 victory. Then Memorial Stadium began to revert to tomb - like silence.Steady Roar

Earlier in the week, Nebraska Coach Tom Osborne...Link to the article

Osborne Hopes For Crowd Support

Date: October 3, 1987

Edition: BULLDOG

Section: sports

Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne said he hopes for crowd support in today's game against South Carolina.

"I would like to see a lot of enthusiasm,"Osborne said. "I would like to have the players feel like the crowd is behind them and the opponents feel like this is a Nebraska crowd and they're not in front of a neutral stadium."Nebraska battled noisy crowds last Saturday in a 35 - 28 win over Arizona State at...

Click here for complete article ($2.95) Link

Buffs'Coach Says Crowd Noise Caused Key Fumble

Date: November 13, 1988

Section: Sports Page: 10c

The Memorial Stadium crowd was a topic two weeks ago after the previous home game - because some booed at halftime and because some players and coaches thought the fans were quiet.

After Saturday's win over Colorado, Nebraska coach Tom Osborne said: "I didn't hear many boos. That's no big deal."

After the Missouri game, he said, "I said two sentences and it became a big issue. Our fans were good today. We...

• Fire 2

We should have Bo go out to midfield before the coin toss and pick out a random opposing fan in the crowd. Then, he would defeat them in some sort of physical confrontation.

In all seriousness, we don't need to be hostile, we just need to be disruptive. Remember when Blaine Gabbert used all 3 second half timeouts fairly early in the 3rd quarter this year? You better believe the crowd had something to do with that. I think we do a pretty good job of rising to the occasion. Kansas this year was not an occasion that needed to be risen to.

You mean 4?

Past articles about our onced feared crowd

NU Crowd Noise Worries Jones

Date: October 8, 1992

Section: Sports Page: 33

Here's a switch: an opposing football coach worried about the noise Nebraska fans produce at Memorial Stadium.

"I don't think any place in college football is any tougher as far as crowd noise than in either end zone in Lincoln,"Oklahoma State Coach Pat Jones said.

Several times in recent years, Nebraska Coach Tom Osborne has asked Husker fans to be more enthusiastic because it has been too easy for opposing teams to... Link

The Crowd That ROARED: Husker Fans Loud and Proud

Date: November 1, 1992

Section: News Page: 7A

Thanks in no small part to a Nebraska crowd in a gamelong full cry, the Huskers Saturday knocked the rivalry right out of Colorado, 52 - 7.

Memorial Stadium was filled with a steady roar from opening kickoff to goalpost take - down at game's end. Despite a steady wind - driven drizzle and temperatures in the mid - 40s, the crowd of 76,287 never lost its energy.

The Nebraska - Colorado game in recent years has been a one - sided affair: Colorado fans say it'...

HERE IS THE BEST ONE AND IT WAS AGAINST K-STATE

NU's Crowd Too Loud; Ref Charges a Timeout

Date: October 17, 1993

Section: Sports Page: 9C

To the surprise of Coach Tom Osborne, Nebraska was charged with a timeout in the third quarter Saturday because officiating crew chief Tom Ahlers of Des Moines ruled the crowd was too loud for Kansas State to hear signals.

"I'm a little biased from where I stand,"Osborne said. "It didn't sound that loud. We've been in places where it was loud, and they just always pointed and said, 'Go!'...

It would be interesting to know how much ticket prices (season and actual price paid for single games) have gone up since the early / mid 90's. I mention that because the current prices seem to make it prohibitively expensive for younger adults (who tend to be louder) to get to games. I had great tickets for the SDSU and Idaho games in the east side but it was like being at a nursing home. Way up in the north end zone at the Missouri game it was a lot louder and crazier but that's like half a mile away from the field!

• Fire 1

As an out of state fan who is going to his first home game (v. Colorado) since about 1994 some of these posts have me a little nervous. Am I seriously going to be told to sit down and shut up by some "advanced" Husker fans? We paid a lot of coin for our seats in section 16. I don't want the experience to be ruined. I have years of pent up emotion that I fully intend on tapping into to help cheer my beloved Huskers to victory.

As an out of state fan who is going to his first home game (v. Colorado) since about 1994 some of these posts have me a little nervous. Am I seriously going to be told to sit down and shut up by some "advanced" Husker fans? We paid a lot of coin for our seats in section 16. I don't want the experience to be ruined. I have years of pent up emotion that I fully intend on tapping into to help cheer my beloved Huskers to victory.

Thats a good section. My parents have season tickets in that section and they seem to stand a lot but not the whole game. I have seen a few tell others to sit down but that was in a different section but just let them know where you came from and that you hardly get to see Nebraska play at home and they should be understanding. Be loud....I'm trying to find tickets and I want to redeem myself because I wasn't loud during the Kansas game and should've stood and yelled more.

With the way our crowd has been in a lot of games this year at home and Bo recently making comments about our crowd being silent what are some ways that the we as fans or the University can do to get the crowd more involved in the game?

I have a few suggestions that the University should look into:

•  
  • I know that Huskervision plays “Stand up and Shout” during crucial moments of the game but do they do it enough? I don’t think they do it enough nor do I think they find any other creative ways to get our crowd involved in the game. Maybe they should have a sound level meter on the Jumbotron that way the crowd sees it and then they can react to it by screaming and yelling raising the sound level on the meter. Sometimes I think that they do more advertising than they do at getting the crowd more involved into game.
  • Cheerleaders. Cheerleaders are there to get the crowd involved in the game with their chants and they do that well before the Tunnel Walk with the “Husker Power” chant. I think the Cheerleaders should do this chant during timeouts or commercial breaks. The Husker Power chant is by my favorite chant because to me its really intimidating to hear one side of the stadium yell out “Husker” and then to other side yell out “Power” and getting 80,000+ to do this should get into the heads of the opposing team while pumping up our players when they head back out onto the field. Lets say you’re at home watching the game and after all the commercials are done and they come back to the game you can actually hear the HUSKER POWER chant on your TV speakers while the TV announcers are commentating. How awesome would that be?

Any other suggestions or ideas.

EDIT: This threads title has been edited I don't know how many times.....guess thats what happens when I work graveyards....the body is functioning but the mind isn't.

There are two conflicting problems: 1) not enough crowd noise; and 2) people complaining when others stand in front of them shouting.

Here’s what I would do: Designate some "standing-optional" sections and some "no-standing" sections in the stadium. That way people could stand and yell all they want in the standing-optional sections without some douche behind them texting the 5-0. And the mild mannered fans could quietly hunker down in the no-standing sections. Could put some of the standing-optional sections between the 30s where noise would have the most effect.

One problem I see with this is that the mild-mannered folks who like to sit are often the ones willing to shell out the most $$$ for seats. And the seats where noise would have greatest effect tend to be high dollar real estate areas of the stadium.

I was at the game and the crowd was yelling but it is hard to get rowdy when the team is not performing against a horrible kansas team....the play calling was extremely boring...it wasnt hard to guess what the next play was...

also, when a person is so jammed in that they have to literally sit side-ways, it is hard for one to yell...people are just too fat now for the seating arrangement there especially with layers of clothes on.

but, overall i thought the crowd rose up when needed.

Bo isn't the only coach in Husker history to take stabs at the fanbase. Looks like a legendary coach did it as well and guess who that was.....Dr. Tom Osborne.

Huskers Look to Crowd for Lift Osborne to Fans: Crank Up Noise

Date: September 18, 1991

Section: Sports Page: 27sf

Nebraska Coach Tom Osborne wants to expand his roster for Saturday night by about 76,000 people.

He said the ninth - ranked Huskers need every NU fan at sold - out Memorial Stadium to help in the team's bid to upset No. 4 Washington.

"I'm hoping we have some enthusiasm,"Osborne said, "so it's not so easy a place to play as it has been over the years."

In the past, Osborne has answered...

Link to the article

N.U. Fans Pump Up The Noise

Date: September 22, 1991

Section: NEWS Page: 1A

Finally, the tomb turned into a tumult.

Long criticized for being a passive, ho - hum crowd, the red - clad Nebraska throng of 76,304 raised a ruckus in Saturday night's nationally televised game against fourth - ranked Washington.

The roar continued as Nebraska led into the fourth quarter before Washington pulled away to a 36 - 21 victory. Then Memorial Stadium began to revert to tomb - like silence.Steady Roar

Earlier in the week, Nebraska Coach Tom Osborne...Link to the article

Osborne Hopes For Crowd Support

Date: October 3, 1987

Edition: BULLDOG

Section: sports

Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne said he hopes for crowd support in today's game against South Carolina.

"I would like to see a lot of enthusiasm,"Osborne said. "I would like to have the players feel like the crowd is behind them and the opponents feel like this is a Nebraska crowd and they're not in front of a neutral stadium."Nebraska battled noisy crowds last Saturday in a 35 - 28 win over Arizona State at...

Buffs'Coach Says Crowd Noise Caused Key Fumble

Date: November 13, 1988

Section: Sports Page: 10c

The Memorial Stadium crowd was a topic two weeks ago after the previous home game - because some booed at halftime and because some players and coaches thought the fans were quiet.

After Saturday's win over Colorado, Nebraska coach Tom Osborne said: "I didn't hear many boos. That's no big deal."

After the Missouri game, he said, "I said two sentences and it became a big issue. Our fans were good today. We...

Nice finds. Some much-needed perspective, for me at least.

+1 to HuskerJock. Thanks for that perspective.

Here's my angle (don't worry, I'll keep it brief) - what if Bo knows his guys perform much much better with an "us vs the world" mentality, and therefore he's trying to instill that mentality to the fullest even at home games by getting the home crowd pissed at him for calling us out? Just saying...

"Nebraska is to win football games without his team blowing up the police blotter or bludgeoning the NCAA rule book.

All of the “accoutremois” of the role, as the Winnebago Man might say, land on a sliding scale of importance. Bo can win with star-gazing blue-chippers or five-heart walk-ons. He can open practice or run it in a bunker. He can kiss the rear of the press or tell it to kiss his. He can throw block parties or dine alone on blood sausage and Montmarte cheese. So long as he wins.

But should the breaks ever beat Bo's boys for a few weeks in a row – or even a whole month, as is happening to Mack Brown's bunch in Austin – it's the equity he builds with the folks who ultimately pay his salary – fans and boosters – that'll keep the wolves at bay. And Pelini did himself – and really his players – few favors Monday by lighting into the Memorial Stadium crowd for producing a scrimmage-like atmosphere for last Saturday's Kansas game.

He didn't back away from those comments at Tuesday's presser."

More