Big 12 South

Hujan

If A&M beats Texas this weekend and OU beats Okie State, I believe there will be a three-way tie, a la 2008. (A&M, OU, and Okie State will all have two conference losses. But because A&M beat OU, Okie State beat A&M, and OU beat Okie State, there will be no obvious #1.)

So my question is, what is the tie-breaker? If memory serves, Dan Beebe did not make any changes to the tie-breaker rules when he had the opportunity. If true, it tickles me to no end that his ineptitude will once again come to light.

I would prefer to play A&M, OU, and Okie State in that order. I want another shot at A&M. I got no beef with OU, and I'm not sure we beat Okie State even with Martinez.

(Sorry if this was posted already.)

For those who are interested, here are the tiebreaker rules:

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=1546006

If you look at overall record first, does that mean that A&M drops out because of it's loss to Arkansas? Then to choose between Okie State and OU, OU would get the nod because of the head to head? Does that sound right?

My gut is telling me that Okie State is going to dominate OU and that we are, in turn, going to get dominated by Okie State in the CCG.

The tiebreaker gets long and complicated looking at division record and head to head games (which just confuses things even more as if OU wins each team will have beaten another). What it will come down to is BCS ranking.

If OU beats OSU and A&M beats Texas and is within one BCS spot of OU then A&M will win the tiebreaker (based on BCS ranking and then head to head). It would seem unlikely, however, for the Ags to jump up enough in the BCS to make that happen unless we see some surprising results from teams ranked above them this weekend.

The tiebreaker gets long and complicated looking at division record and head to head games (which just confuses things even more as if OU wins each team will have beaten another). What it will come down to is BCS ranking.

If OU beats OSU and A&M beats Texas and is within one BCS spot of OU then A&M will win the tiebreaker (based on BCS ranking and then head to head). It would seem unlikely, however, for the Ags to jump up enough in the BCS to make that happen unless we see some surprising results from teams ranked above them this weekend.

Thanks. Does the fact that A&M has one more (non-conference) loss than either OU or Okie State not factor in?

If you're explanation is right, then I can't possibly see A&M playing into the CCG. If OU manages to tip Okie State, they are going to get a huge boost. A&M's victory over Texas would have to be insanely impressive to even come close. Why did you have to lose to Arkansas, Aggies!?!?!

Thanks. Does the fact that A&M has one more (non-conference) loss than either OU or Okie State not factor in?

If you're explanation is right, then I can't possibly see A&M playing into the CCG. If OU manages to tip Okie State, they are going to get a huge boost. A&M's victory over Texas would have to be insanely impressive to even come close. Why did you have to lose to Arkansas, Aggies!?!?!

The way I understand it the records compared in tiebreaker #1 are referring to record within the Big 12, if OSU were to lose all three teams would sit at 5-3. The Arkansas loss doesn't hurt us there but it does when it comes to BCS standings. Had we won that game we'd have a real shot if OU wins, as things stand I think it's a pretty slim chance. The only way I can see it happening is for OU v OSU to be a sloppy unimpressive win for OU, for A&M to absolutely light up Texas, and for a few teams between OU and A&M in the BCS to drop games this week.

I wonder the same thing about the Arkie game, that's one that was definitely within our grasp and we couldn't put away. This team is really only two or three plays away from being 11-1.

I'd still love to blow out Texas :D

A&M will not play in the CCG. It'll be the Bedlam winner, unless OU wins really ugly, then it could actually still be Okie Lite.

How is that possible? In what scenario would Okie State still play in the CCG over OU even if they lose to OU in the Bedlam game?

In a three-way tie, with all other things tied (which they would be if Texas A&M wins as well), the tiebreaker is the BCS (unless two and only two teams are next to each other in the BCS standings, at which point the head-to-head of those two wins the tiebreaker).

Okie Lite holds a relatively significant advantage right now. Remember that computers don't automatically punish late season losses and reward head to head like almost all pollsters do. If OU were to win a very close game (maybe even with help from controversial calls), it's possible they jump just barely ahead in the human polls but remain behind enough in the computers to not jump OSU in the BCS. If another team manages to split the two (could be Arkansas or Bama after a win, or someone like Stanford or Boise after a loss), Oklahoma State would still go to the CCG. It could look like this, for instance:

Okie Lite: .6152

Alabama: .6144

Oklahoma: .6101

This is very unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

A&M will not play in the CCG. It'll be the Bedlam winner, unless OU wins really ugly, then it could actually still be Okie Lite.

How is that possible? In what scenario would Okie State still play in the CCG over OU even if they lose to OU in the Bedlam game?

The only possilbility of Okie St. going by losing, is that A&M has to win to force a three-way tie thusly they go by BCS standings and OSU has to be at least one spot above Oklahoma.

Edit: what jtrain said.