Did Cody Green earn the start next week?

Sparker

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is for the conference championship. You play Martinez if he can go. No doubt.

Dont be surprised if he goes. He practiced well today.

That would be a big lift for this team. I think he has turned out to be a very capable passer. Even if his running is limited, I would still want him in there to make the throws. He is the best passer of the three "now".

GBR!!!

I don't want martinez to get further injured and Cody deserves to start.

IMO, Green is the equivalent of Jordan Jefferson at LSU. He manages to win games but is unimpressive in doing so. If Martinez is 100% (or very close to it), he should start. But since that is highly doubtful, I say start Green (with Lee in relief duty if needed) and rely on the Blackshirts to keep the game close.

The problem I see is if Martinez is less than %100 and we play him we are really putting ourselves in a hole. His game is predicated on breaking the big play off the zone read, and defense's fear of that allows receivers to get open and (in my opinion) make him look like a better passer than he really is. Look at how open his receivers generally are, he usually isn't fitting a throw into a tight spot. If he can't run at %100 it's usually pretty obvious and it takes away a huge chunk of our offense.

I think you gameplan for Green and he goes unless Martinez is very close to %100.

At this point, I'd say Cody should start just because Martinez isn't healthy. Also, is Zac Lee ok? He played but I noticed he didn't do much throwing. Anybody know the story? I thought he was the better QB as far as Lee v. Cody. I just want the winning QB to play. Martinez has everything against him with turf toe and a bad ankle. Those two injuries aren't good for the type of running he does.

I think Green did an awesome job when the week's preparation called for a gameplan that fit with him. When he's come in to replace TM for some reason we don't adjust our play calling and we look absolutely terrible. (SW - listening?)

One question I have - why is TM just standing on the sidelines with smirks on his face? Shouldn't he be helping call plays in and stuff? While TM was playing I regularly saw both Cody and Zac standing together helping on the sideline. It bothers me that he just stands there with a chip on his shoulder. There was one particular shot of him standing next to Niles Paul during the Colorado game. You could have frozen time and put a couple of cartoon text bubbles over them saying something like "Wow, they did it without us."

I'm not anti-TM or anti-NP ... but it just seems like we saw a different Husker team -- a TEAM -- against Colorado. It really seemed to me like they came together and worked together. Having all stars is great, but when they're out it makes such a huge dent.

Is Zac Lee available, why did he play last week ?

My guess is 1) it was senior day and 2) to throw a bit of doubt into our CCG opponent about whether we'd have our "passing" QB available to play/start. The reality was, his throws had no zip at all and clearly his arm is nowhere near ready. If we see him Saturday night, it's because Green is hurt or absolutely ineffective, and Martinez is unavailable. Even then you'd have to wonder if it's better to take a chance with a totally inexperienced healthy Washington or Kellogg.

My guess is 1) it was senior day and 2) to throw a bit of doubt into our CCG opponent about whether we'd have our "passing" QB available to play/start. The reality was, his throws had no zip at all and clearly his arm is nowhere near ready. If we see him Saturday night, it's because Green is hurt or absolutely ineffective, and Martinez is unavailable. Even then you'd have to wonder if it's better to take a chance with a totally inexperienced healthy Washington or Kellogg.

speaking of worst case scenarios....if that were to happen who would you rather have? Personally i like Latravis more

This has to be a tough call for the coaches considering how well Green played vs Colorado and how Martinez played in his 1st game back after the 1st injury (Kansas game). Instead of getting a creampuff to get back in the action (KU), Martinez would have an Oklahoma defense that will be much better and much more fired up considering the high stakes of the CCG.

I'm not a huge fan of Green, but there's something to be said about how well he played and led the offense vs CU. He converted several key 3rd down passes, and was very efficient overall. On zone read plays he let the RBs do the work, which is far different than what we see from Martinez. Green only kept the ball when he had an opening up the middle, never trying to get to the outside and outrun people like Martinez has tried to do (and mostly failed) over the last 4-5 games he's played in.

Honestly, I'd almost be a bit more nervous with Martinez at the helm considering his current condition. I think he is a better passer (barely), but Green is more than capable in the passing department. The thing I'm nervous about is when Martinez tries to run the ball. He's not going to have the same jets, but he'll still try to get to the outside against a speedy defense, which spells trouble in the form of lost/no yardage, injury (because he won't have the cutting ability that makes him so dangerous) or fumbles. Oh and make no mistake, Martinez will not depend as much on the RBs as Green does, and I think that plays right into the Sooners' hand.

Honestly, I'd almost be a bit more nervous with Martinez at the helm considering his current condition. I think he is a better passer (barely), but Green is more than capable in the passing department. The thing I'm nervous about is when Martinez tries to run the ball. He's not going to have the same jets, but he'll still try to get to the outside against a speedy defense, which spells trouble in the form of lost/no yardage, injury (because he won't have the cutting ability that makes him so dangerous) or fumbles. Oh and make no mistake, Martinez will not depend as much on the RBs as Green does, and I think that plays right into the Sooners' hand.

+1 on this comment. TM does keep trying to hit that corner and it's just been going nowhere, at least since his injury. Cody seems like the more conservative player and this might be what you want if TM lacks the killer speed he showed earlier in the year (which seems all but certain for Saturday).

speaking of worst case scenarios....if that were to happen who would you rather have? Personally i like Latravis more

I've seen so little of either, I couldn't even guess. I think it'd have more to do with how confident the coaches are that they can call and execute enough plays correctly and not have turnovers than how much talent they have. That's why Lee would probably be ahead of them, though Lee might be a big danger if he misjudges his arm strength and hangs passes up to be picked off.

Sorry if this offends, but why are some of you even mentioning Washington or Kellogg in this thread? Neither has seen PT at all this season, so what the deuce makes you think they'd stand a remote chance of seeing the field in the most important game of the season?

Ok, I'm off my :boxosoap . On with the real discussion here - does Green start or does Martinez?