Did Cody Green earn the start next week?

Sparker

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Green did an awesome job when the week's preparation called for a gameplan that fit with him. When he's come in to replace TM for some reason we don't adjust our play calling and we look absolutely terrible. (SW - listening?)

I agree 100% I brought this up after the Washington game I believe. SW was calling the exact same plays that were taylored to Martinez and it was painful to watch. Cody looked much more comfortable with play calling against Colorado.

If Taylor is healthy, he has absolutely earned the start. That said I think we all know that he's unlikely to be back to his old self next week. Given that, I say go ahead and give Cody the start. Let him build his confidence and rapport with the starting unit this week. We'll have Rex backing him up from the Rexcat and run some big power formations -- I like our odds against next week.

This.

Start cody. Taylor has been seen limping still and Cody might finally be getting over his jitters. Let Green keep gaining confidence, winning a conference championship should help with that. If Taylors back to taylor by bowl time, start him.

I am really tired of the excuses from the offensive coaches on the lack of production. Two offensive TDs in five losses is ridiculous - injuries or not. Come on, our defense almost scored more points than our offense in those five losses.

Injuries was the excuse last year and it's the excuse this year. What I find strange is how we can lose a whole LBing corps and have inexperienced players step in and make the defense work. Can someone explain this to me? You don't see Ekler or Carl crying because they have injured players. They look at what they have, make adjustments, and coach up other players to make the defense work. That's what good coaches do. It's quite evident that we don't have this on the offensive side of the ball.

Sorry, but someone has to be accountable for such a horrible offense when one player is out of the game. You can't go from scoring over 40 points every game to kicking a couple field goals because one player is out of the game. A drop in production is understandable, but give me a break.

As I said in another thread, it's a shame that it's going to take more losses in the future in order for a change to be made on that side of the ball. Bo should really be proactive and see the writing on the wall. Watson is nothing more than a below average (maybe average) offensive coordinator. His previously resume and statistics don't lie.

Of course, in his defense, I'm sure he had injuries all of those years too.

Good post. You see it's like this as long as we are winning nobody sees the writing on the wall. Some see Cody Green as a 3rd string and forget he has experience as qb but as long as he is listed as 3rd string that's what they will spout.

What five losses are you referring to there, out of curiosity?

Some see Cody Green as a 3rd string and forget he has experience as qb but as long as he is listed as 3rd string that's what they will spout.

He IS third string; some see his spot start last year as meaning something or are still counting his four stars out of HS rather than being realistic about his situation. Others who have been realistic the whole way have said, since Cody's recruitment, that is not a good passer, far from ready, had a simplistic HS offense and will need a redshirt year at the least. Unfortunately he got thrown into the fire from the start due to the departure of Witt and Spano's injury, and here we are.

I suppose you can draw similar analogies (though they don't work the same way obviously) in the NFL. Some top QBs get time to acclimate to the next level while learning behind greats: Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers. Others, like Kyle Boller or David Carr, get thrown into the fire right away. Sometimes they swim and sometimes they sink. Green was a guy that needed to sit, but was forced not to by the situation.

It doesn't change that at this point, he isn't where he needs to be and the expectations about him should remain tempered, as he is a young guy needing development still. Lots to go. But, he's going to be our Man this saturday. Hope for the best. OU won't be CU, but they won't be Texas last year either.

I think Green did an awesome job when the week's preparation called for a gameplan that fit with him. When he's come in to replace TM for some reason we don't adjust our play calling and we look absolutely terrible. (SW - listening?)

I agree 100% I brought this up after the Washington game I believe. SW was calling the exact same plays that were taylored to Martinez and it was painful to watch. Cody looked much more comfortable with play calling against Colorado.

Yeah. I know. It was like watching lumbering Z. Lee run the option last year. Ugghh...

What five losses are you referring to there, out of curiosity?

I'm referring to our last five losses:

A&M - two FGs

Texas - two FGs (Hagg ran back a punt from Gilbert)

Texas - four FGs

Iowa St - one TD

VT - five FGs

That's ONE offensive TD. One. Couple this with his statistics from the past decade as offensive coordinator and it's hard to pin Shawn Watson as anything but an average to below average coordinator. Him and his staff simply are not getting it done.

I see the same crap as I have seen the last two years: WRs who can't catch consistently (but at least they can block right?), o-line that is very inconsistent in blocking and who commit anywhere from five to seven penalties a game (most of them being bonehead penalties like not lining up at the LOS), inconsistent QB play, and an offense with no identity.

As I said, Bo needs to step up and go out and get an offensive coordinator he wants and hire assistants whose philosophies mesh.

Unfortunately, we are going to have to lose some more games before something is done.

You missed the Texas Tech game last year, where we had one touchdown (just as a FYI).

I suppose you could say Zac Lee threw about three touchdowns against VT but none counted, and Taylor and Zac threw about five combined against Texas, but none counted. Of course some of these were on the same drives. Fact is we didn't make them, but I'm not even sure how much you can put a couple of them on Gilmore.

WRs and OL are indeed the problem. QB has not been, excepting for injuries.

Watson is the OC Bo has whose philosophies mesh, so he's not going to go and get a new one. If Watson does leave of his own accord, look for a promotion from within, just because of the philosophy thing. I don't think Bo is going to hire some established mercenary OC coming in here with his own system. I think Bo really wants to take charge of the entire team in all facets, which is good and what the HC should do. And what BC's failing was.

I do think Bo needs to be able to cut some of the position coaches loose though, when they don't pull their weight.