Team loss

Hercules

Just my contribution to the meltdown.

First of all, congrats to OU, they were the better team tonight.

Tonight, Martinez looked like a freshman. But Helu had a costly fumble that led to an OU touchdown. Wide receivers couldn't get open most of the night, the o-line was getting beat in the run game, and Watson's demons got the better of him at times tonight (going away from the wildcat in the 4th quarter deserves an epic :facepalm:).

While the defense looked great most of the night, they lost focus in the 2nd quarter which allowed OU back in the game. People can talk about Martinez's interception in the end zone all night long, but it was the defense that gave up and 80 yard TD drive after that. Championship teams overcome mistakes that they make. Remember Berringer's interception in the end zone against Miami in 1995 orange bowl? The defense held strong after that momentum buster. But tonight the defense faltered when it couldn't, and OU stepped up to make the plays to win the game.

We still have a little ways to go before we're a championship team, but it's going to take a TEAM effort to get us there.

• Fire 1

We only have half a team. A defense. The fact is it's so good it presents the illusion that we're championship material, but we won't be until the other half starts playing reasonable football. A few stinkers I can take, but Watson's offense for three seasons has been a monstrosity against good teams and in key moments.

• Fire 1

Yeah, the offense has consistently underperformed in big games, much worse then the defense has in the last two years.

We put up 20 points tonight, but I kind of felt like we put up 6. Roy's run was great, but it was also a missed assignment by OU. The other TD we got off a turnover. Credit the O for sticking both of those in the end zone, because that's an improvement, and if you had told me before the game that we'd score 20 points, I'd have felt pretty good about our chances.

But the offense continues to make the same mistakes, from the players to the playcalling. How do you go away from the Wildcat? It eludes me.

Roy's run was great, but it was also a missed assignment by OU

Most good plays like this by the offense are. If the defense gets all their assignments, you are usually stopped. Doesn't take away from what happened.

Enough with the fumble problem already. It's an epidemic.

This was definitely a team loss. When the D gives up 455 yards and is directly responsible for 3 scores as a result of big plays, it's amazing that they are regarded as the half of the team that showed up. The two best offenses we faced this year completely blew apart our vaunted D. I don't say this as a knock on the coaches or anything, it's just a fact. We needed the O to win both of those games and unfortunately, we only got it done on one of them.

I expected a lot better out of the D tonight. As far as the O, I expected both better and worse. I didn't expect an opening like we had. I didn't expect to ever move the ball with the ease we did at first, but I did not expect the turnovers and the lack of reliance on running when we needed to. I agree with Hercules here, this was a total team loss.

Yeah, the D gave up alot of yards tonight, but when the damn offense cannot stay on the field, it gives an explosive team like Oklahoma way too many opportunities to make big plays, which they unfortunately did.

Oklahoma had 5 (!) possesions in the first quarter alone. (in which they were mostly stymied). That should have been enough for a half. The defense wasn't perfect, but it was good enough. Holding them to 23 points, especially considering field position due to the turnovers and punt returns, should have been enough to win the damn game.

Most good plays like this by the offense are. If the defense gets all their assignments, you are usually stopped. Doesn't take away from what happened.

This was definitely a team loss. When the D gives up 455 yards and is directly responsible for 3 scores as a result of big plays, it's amazing that they are regarded as the half of the team that showed up. The two best offenses we faced this year completely blew apart our vaunted D. I don't say this as a knock on the coaches or anything, it's just a fact. We needed the O to win both of those games and unfortunately, we only got it done on one of them.

I expected a lot better out of the D tonight. As far as the O, I expected both better and worse. I didn't expect an opening like we had. I didn't expect to ever move the ball with the ease we did at first, but I did not expect the turnovers and the lack of reliance on running when we needed to. I agree with Hercules here, this was a total team loss.

The D played well. We have 2 new starters on Dline, 1 at LB, and 2 at safety. These are drastic changes from last year. They are going to take some thumps, but they played well enough to keep us in the game we our offense turned the ball over 4 times.

The fact that you didn't expect the offense to be able to move the ball against a sh#t run defense speaks to just how far the standards have fallen for the offense. The fact that the defense holds OU to 2 of 15 on 3rd downs and was CONSTANTLY put in bad spots by the offense putting the ball on the turf is completely unreasonable.

Wake up please. It's the offense, stupid! (not a personal attack. Simply turning a phrase)

There's a difference though, between the offense beating the defense, and the defense making a mistake and the offense exploiting it. What made some of those old NU OU games so great was that both teams would play great, but somebody would just make some spectacular play and BEAT the other team. That's all I was getting at with Roy's run.

I really think the defense did fine. They gave up yards, but that's what their system does. Without Roy's fumble, they held OU to 16 points, and without a couple more turnovers, they hold OU to less than that. You can't expect the defense to hold top 10 teams to 10 or even 17 points every stinking time they face one of them, and you can't expect them to do it with the turnovers we had tonight. Sometimes the offense has to step up, and that's something we haven't had for a long time.

What do you mean enough with the fumble problems? Do you see any other team in the nation fumble as much as this team? When you have 4 or 5 players on a team fumble on a CONSISTENT basis, its coaching, plain and simple. One player fumbling, its on the player, multiple players having fumbling issues, coaching.

• Fire 1

What do you mean enough with the fumble problems? Do you see any other team in the nation fumble as much as this team? When you have 4 or 5 players on a team fumble on a CONSISTENT basis, its coaching, plain and simple. One player fumbling, its on the player, multiple players having fumbling issues, coaching.

i believe Zoogies was saying that "problem" is no longer a strong enough word to describe our fumbling. it's much worse. so you guys are actually on the same page..

I really think the defense did fine. They gave up yards.

Bend but don't break is fine. They broke. Three broken plays directly led to three scores. I know it's unreasonable to not expect a few breaks but our secondary choked three times in similar mistakes to O'Hanlon against VT. We played good D that game too, but that one break cost us the game in the end.

Oh, I don't mean enough with the discussion. I'm yelling frustration at the fact that we fumble so much. It's nuts and it has to stop. Maybe I should have said ENOUGH WITH THE FUMBLE PROBLEMS!!!! ARGHHHH!, as that more accurately reflects how I feel.

I'm not sure who to put that on, in fairness to Bo, Watson, the players, and the offensive position coaches.

I really think the defense did fine. They gave up yards.

Bend but don't break is fine. They broke. Three broken plays directly led to three scores. I know it's unreasonable to not expect a few breaks but our secondary choked three times in similar mistakes to O'Hanlon against VT. We played good D that game too, but that one break cost us the game in the end.

Oh, I don't mean enough with the discussion. I'm yelling frustration at the fact that we fumble so much. It's nuts and it has to stop. Maybe I should have said ENOUGH WITH THE FUMBLE PROBLEMS!!!! ARGHHHH!, as that more accurately reflects how I feel.

I'm not sure who to put that on, in fairness to Bo, Watson, the players, and the offensive position coaches.

This was nothing like O'Hanlon. O'Hanlon let a guy get behind him with one minute to go when all VT could do was throw deep and hope. Tonight our guys got beat, but NOTHING like that VT bust. Sometimes, guys get beat. It happens. But our secondary didn't choke, they just got beat a couple times by great players on the other side of the ball. And they still didn't give up much. Seriously, the offense gave OU 13 points on turnovers I think. Maybe 16, I can't remember. AND the defense gave our offense 7 points on a turnover.

As far as fumbles go, Roy will graduate, Niles will graduate, and so two of the biggest culprits will be gone. Rex will be our feature back next year, and he's pretty solid. Taylor's got to get it under control, and I expect him to over the offseason. With Taylor being the competitor that coaches say he is, I'm expecting big improvements from him in the offseason. I think he'll make a big jump going into next year. It'll be interesting to see who fills in behind Rex at RB though, and whether they can keep the ball put away.

Cassidy getting beat was like O'Hanlon, but in a different game situation - you're right. Still, he bit short - looking at the backfield or whatever - and the OU receiver got behind him. When you're a deep safety you can't let that happen. People say he has to learn to turn and look for the ball but I think it was doomed and he was playing catch-up the second he let the OU man get behind him. Would've been real lucky to swat the ball away after that.

I don't remember the points breakdown, but the offense turning it over in the end zone is not by any conceivable stretch of the imagination giving up points to the defense. OU started that drive on their own 20, went 70 yards, and then scored. They also had a chance to stop them from the 30, but allowed OU to score in 2 plays, the first one getting to the half-yard line. I consider that allowing a TD when a FG is possible, so we can count that as 4 points, if you wish, assuming the FG would have been assured. That's 14.

OU's remaining points came off of two more field goals, both of which were 50-60 yard drives. The last one came off of the Burkhead/Caputo bad snap fumble, but it started at the OU 35. So, that's 20 points. At least the way I see it. But enough of speaking of offense and defense as rivals, they are two sides of a coin. The defense gave the offense a great chance at the OU 12/7, which they punched it. Credit to the D for the chance, credit to the O for making 7 and not 3. Anyway, enough on that. OU scored 23 and Nebraska scored 20. We had our chances to score more, but didn't. We had our chances to keep the score down even more for OU, but didn't.

Roy will graduate, but I see that as something that hurts us more than helps. Yeah he's had a few fumbles, but he's a tremendous asset! Not a culprit. I think it will be exciting what we have at RB next year though, with Green. I don't think Green redshirts. Heard may not either.

:yeah

I expected the defense to be better as well. I thought the offense would struggle. Hope we play a complete game in all three phases in the rematch with Washington. Beating somebody twice in one season is tough. We know what we did right, and the Huskies can try to adjust.

Cassidy getting beat was like O'Hanlon, but in a different game situation - you're right. Still, he bit short - looking at the backfield or whatever - and the OU receiver got behind him. When you're a deep safety you can't let that happen. People say he has to learn to turn and look for the ball but I think it was doomed and he was playing catch-up the second he let the OU man get behind him. Would've been real lucky to swat the ball away after that.

I don't remember the points breakdown, but the offense turning it over in the end zone is not by any conceivable stretch of the imagination giving up points to the defense. OU started that drive on their own 20, went 70 yards, and then scored. They also had a chance to stop them from the 30, but allowed OU to score in 2 plays, the first one getting to the half-yard line. I consider that allowing a TD when a FG is possible, so we can count that as 4 points, if you wish, assuming the FG would have been assured. That's 14.

OU's remaining points came off of two more field goals, both of which were 50-60 yard drives. The last one came off of the Burkhead/Caputo bad snap fumble, but it started at the OU 35. So, that's 20 points. At least the way I see it. But enough of speaking of offense and defense as rivals, they are two sides of a coin. The defense gave the offense a great chance at the OU 12/7, which they punched it. Credit to the D for the chance, credit to the O for making 7 and not 3. Anyway, enough on that. OU scored 23 and Nebraska scored 20. We had our chances to score more, but didn't. We had our chances to keep the score down even more for OU, but didn't.

Roy will graduate, but I see that as something that hurts us more than helps. Yeah he's had a few fumbles, but he's a tremendous asset! Not a culprit. I think it will be exciting what we have at RB next year though, with Green. I don't think Green redshirts. Heard may not either.

Cassidy got beat, but really, nothing like O'Hanlon. O'Hanlon got beat when we were basically in prevent mode. You never let a guy behind you in that scenario. Like you said, a safety in general can't let a guy behind you, but in a normal game situation you're also going to be coming up in run support. Cassidy got beat, but maybe Pelini was on top of him on the sideline about getting up in run D, like the fleaflicker at OSU.

Anyways, you're going to give up points to a team like Oklahoma. The Blackshirts essentially gave up 13 points, and OU got the other 10 on turnovers from our offense in our own territory. If you honestly expect our defense to hold teams like OU to 10 points every time we play them, your expectations are simply out of whack. Could they have played better? Sure, but looking back I didn't really expect them to be better than they were.