Scott Frost for OC!!!

You want to promote a position coach who can't even coach his players on how to hold onto the ball?

The RBs have been waaaay more consistent than the QBs or WRs.

Anyways, I'd be intrigued with Scott Frost as QB coach, Beck as RB coach/OC, Brown as TE/WR coach, Cotton as OL/assistant OC

If you get your wish I hope SF doesn't teach our QBs to throw like he did. Either that or we better get us some WRs with hands coming out of their kneecaps.

You're right Scott Frost was awful. It's not like he won any championships or anything.

We're Nebraska, and we're talking about the QBs coach position. There is no reason whatsoever we can't look around, identify someone who is promising and has coached QBs before. And no reason we can't make a major hire here if it came to it. The only reason people keep bringing up Scott in any capacity is because it would be nice if a former player came back and turned out to be a coaching stud. There is no reason to believe that might happen. His player resume has literally nothing to do with this. Don't you think we have enough graduate assistant projects on the staff and it would be good to supplement that with an experienced, established name, especially if we are losing one in the process?

You want to promote a position coach who can't even coach his players on how to hold onto the ball?

Anyways, I'd be intrigued with Scott Frost as QB coach, Beck as RB coach/OC, Brown as TE/WR coach, Cotton as OL/assistant OC

If you get your wish I hope SF doesn't teach our QBs to throw like he did. Either that or we better get us some WRs with hands coming out of their kneecaps.

You're right Scott Frost was awful. It's not like he won any championships or anything.

Sure, he was great at passing. Backwards to a running back. It was just the forward kind he had problems with.

We're Nebraska, and we're talking about the QBs coach position. There is no reason whatsoever we can't look around, identify someone who is promising and has coached QBs before. And no reason we can't make a major hire here if it came to it. The only reason people keep bringing up Scott in any capacity is because it would be nice if a former player came back and turned out to be a coaching stud. There is no reason to believe that might happen. His player resume has literally nothing to do with this. Don't you think we have enough graduate assistant projects on the staff and it would be good to supplement that with an experienced, established name, especially if we are losing one in the process?

There is a reason that people look for Nebraskans when openings on the staff open up. Nebraska football is a culture, it's a way of life, and it's different than any other school. Former players like Scott Frost and Marvin Sanders understand that. Bo Pelini just happened to grow up in a similar football culture, and he learned Nebraska's culture under Frank Solich in 2003. Coaches like Shawn Watson, Ted Gilmore, and Bill Callahan don't understand that, they don't get what makes Nebraska football special. They don't get the Pipeline or the walk-ons or smashmouth football with a hard edge or any of that.

Finally, Nebraska isn't Texas. It's not Florida State or Florida or Alabama, it's not every coach's dream job. We can't have whoever we want.

And like I said, Turner Gill wasn't even a coach before Osborne hired him, and the guy turned into a superstar.

I don't care about "experienced, established" names. I want somebody who can teach, who knows the game, who knows the culture, and I want somebody who can get our kids on offense to play with the same kind of fire that our guys on defense do. I don't know if Frost is that guy or not, but if we don't look at him because we don't think his resume is deep enough, I strongly disagree with that.

If Scott Frost never played at NU would he even be in consideration in this discussion? Just asking... I don't think he is worth the risk to try to make him an OC, would he get a pass for "being" a Husker or crucified worse than Watson is getting now if he does not produce? I am surprised that no one has brought up Major Applewhite's name, I know a Texas guy, but he does have some D1 OC experience and worked for some good coaches.

• Fire 1

Sure, he was great at passing. Backwards to a running back. It was just the forward kind he had problems with.

He didn't look too bad on the same field as Peyton Manning.

Scott Frost to Peyton Manning in passing is like Peyton Manning to Scott Frost in running the option. (To put in in SAT prep terms.)

Don't get me wrong. I think SF was a great QB--especially at running the option. Just not a great passing QB.

Scott Frost to Peyton Manning in passing is like Peyton Manning to Scott Frost in running the option. (To put in in SAT prep terms.)

Don't get me wrong. I think SF was a great QB--especially at running the option. Just not a great passing QB.

And we don't need a Peyton Manning at QB. We need a Scott Frost.

There is a reason that people look for Nebraskans when openings on the staff open up. Nebraska football is a culture, it's a way of life, and it's different than any other school. Former players like Scott Frost and Marvin Sanders understand that. Bo Pelini just happened to grow up in a similar football culture, and he learned Nebraska's culture under Frank Solich in 2003. Coaches like Shawn Watson, Ted Gilmore, and Bill Callahan don't understand that, they don't get what makes Nebraska football special. They don't get the Pipeline or the walk-ons or smashmouth football with a hard edge or any of that.

There's no place like Nebraska. That's a feel-good slogan, that's it. Maybe I am not getting it but I completely disagree with this characterization. It's feel-good fluff and that is it. You may as well say California kids like Roy Helu just don't get our way of life. There is no reason to ever settle for a lower quality coach on the tenuous basis that they are Nebraskans and "get" our culture.

Finally, Nebraska isn't Texas. It's not Florida State or Florida or Alabama, it's not every coach's dream job. We can't have whoever we want.

We CAN get a GOOD prospect and maybe a better one if we shell out the money, which we have. There are guys that we could have on the staff and we do not need to be settling. I want someone who can teach, and who knows the game. These are extremely important qualities you won't get by just settling for a guy. And not looking at someone based on their qualifications...seems like a good reason to me.

Also I could care less how well Frost did as a player, because we aren't talking about him as a player. We are talking about him as a QBs coach now. He's going to be the guy that is going to go in there and have to fix young players' mechanics, develop their passing skills, etc. How well he played against Tennessee really doesn't matter at all. Maybe Frost can teach mechanics. I don't think there is a shred of evidence to support confidence in that though.

There's no place like Nebraska. That's a feel-good slogan, that's it. Maybe I am not getting it but I completely disagree with this characterization. It's feel-good fluff and that is it. You may as well say California kids like Roy Helu just don't get our way of life. There is no reason to ever settle for a lower quality coach on the tenuous basis that they are Nebraskans and "get" our culture.

x1000000000000

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

We CAN get a GOOD prospect and maybe a better one if we shell out the money, which we have. There are guys that we could have on the staff and we do not need to be settling. I want someone who can teach, and who knows the game. These are extremely important qualities you won't get by just settling for a guy. And not looking at someone based on their qualifications...seems like a good reason to me.

Also I could care less how well Frost did as a player, because we aren't talking about him as a player. We are talking about him as a QBs coach now. He's going to be the guy that is going to go in there and have to fix young players' mechanics, develop their passing skills, etc. How well he played against Tennessee really doesn't matter at all. Maybe Frost can teach mechanics. I don't think there is a shred of evidence to support confidence in that though.

Strongly disagree with you on the cultural stuff. The players did buy into it, and it helped us over the decades. We were the school of big strong offensive lineman, of Outland trophy winners and of great running backs. We played hard, we played physical, and teams felt the pain for weeks after they played us. That was Nebraska. You're honestly going to tell me that our DRASTIC change in offensive philosophy, in culture and in identity, had nothing to do with the fact that the 2000's were the worst decade in Nebraska football since the 1950's? You do realize that we used to be a top 5 team year in and year out, that we were playing for conference championships every year, right? And that we won a lot of them? That wasn't a dream, we really did that.

We won our national championships differently than anyone else because that's what we had to do. We are Nebraska, not Florida or USC, we've never been able to recruit Peyton Manning and Randy Moss and we're never going to be able to. We have to be ourselves, and we haven't been for about a decade.

Strongly disagree with you on the cultural stuff. The players did buy into it, and it helped us over the decades. We were the school of big strong offensive lineman, of Outland trophy winners and of great running backs. We played hard, we played physical, and teams felt the pain for weeks after they played us. That was Nebraska. You're honestly going to tell me that our DRASTIC change in offensive philosophy, in culture and in identity, had nothing to do with the fact that the 2000's were the worst decade in Nebraska football since the 1950's? You do realize that we used to be a top 5 team year in and year out, that we were playing for conference championships every year, right? And that we won a lot of them? That wasn't a dream, we really did that.

We won our national championships differently than anyone else because that's what we had to do. We are Nebraska, not Florida or USC, we've never been able to recruit Peyton Manning and Randy Moss and we're never going to be able to. We have to be ourselves, and we haven't been for about a decade.

I respect the sentiment you express for the Nebraska Way, but I think it's kind of like George Washington and his cherry tree. It's a nice story and all, it just isn't real.

Randy Moss went to Marshall. We've had three Heisman trophy winners, a slew of Outland and Lombardi winners, a laundry list of All-Americans and All-Conference athletes, and there is a national award named after one of our players. (Rimington.) So this idea that we've been some brave little band of brave physically overmatched warriors that won on heart and heart alone is INSANE. We've had monster athletes at Nebraska. We reinvented the way schools weight train, and it was donation money that built those facilities and Boyd Epley that made those facilities hum, not cultural tendencies. And of course, we've won five national championships. We are no one's little brother, and that includes USC or Florida.

More than anything, we had some brilliant coaching minds. Iconic college football coaches. That didn't have anything to do with our culture, it was luck. We landed Devaney and he turned out to be a massive coup for us. And Dr. Tom was one of the relatively small number of people born in Hastings Nebraska in 1937. That was pretty lucky, too.