Show some respect for Washington, please

A little about myself, I was born and raised in Grand Island, NE and wound up in Seattle after being stationed on the USS Abraham Lincoln just north in Everett, WA in 2004. I stayed in state to go to college at the University of Washington which is a great institution. I have been championing the classiness of Husker fans to the Husky fans in Seattle and to have them give you a welcoming and enjoyable experience at our stadium, which I believe they delivered.

First off, I'm pretty pissed about these so-called Husker fans out there saying that getting Washington is an insult and they won't even watch the game. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Being both a Husker and Husky, I can tell you this: being a Husker fan is easy, being a Husky fan is hard.

Nebraska has had nothing but fair weather for decades. Washington is a program that has suffered through years of incompetent and/or scandalous coaches who apparently forgot that recruiting was in the job description. Washington hadn't been to a bowl game for eight years. I can assure you there are zero fair weather Husky fans. They are a team coming off an 0-12 season two years ago and through the efforts of a 36 year old second year head coach and the heroic Jake Locker have finally found something resembling success. Jake Locker is the type of guy who gave up a sure top draft pick and millions of dollars to come back to lead his team through hell and lift his program out of the pit and into a bowl game, and by God he did it.

And I'm sick of hearing how UW is "just a 6-6 team." This is a team that played 15 true freshman and underwent six different offensive line shifts due to injury and inexperience. As a result Jake Locker got battered, bruised, and broken-boned and when everybody had given up on a 3-6 team that lost three straight games to blow-outs, he once again put his team on his back and willed them to three straight wins and bowl eligibility. Mind you, this was through the second hardest schedule played by any team in the entire nation (check the Sagarian ratings). They played in a conference with the #1 and #4 teams in the country and finished 3rd in the PAC-10 behind just Oregon and Stanford. Washington didn't get to phone in two free wins against Western Kentucky and South Dakota State. Every non-conference team they played is going to a bowl game. They had to earn each and every one of their six wins. These guys may not be the greatest group of athletes, but they are the best of college players and they deserve your respect.

i just coughed up my sandwich.

yes, washington went on an epic end of season tear, demolishing top 100 teams such as Cal, UCLA, and Washington State.

they are the most amazing 6-6 team that ever graced the planet.

nebraska should be honored that they get such an amazing opportunity to play a team they already dismantled once this year again! fans that paid to travel to washington will be overjoyed at getting to pay to see them play again!

i think we respect washington just fine, but excuse us if we dont disrespect ourselves in the process.

• Fire 1

I dont think Nebraska will score 56 on them again.... I think they will only score 45. Is that given them respect????? :dunno

Really though I think its not Nebraska giving them respect but we already played UW and we destroyed them, plus throw in the fact that they are barely bowl eligible, also Pac-10 has 2 BCS teams and USC is on probabtion. Nebraska got whats left of a very small litter to chose from

Their is a reason ESPN ranked this bowl 31st out of 35. You can think ESPN/Big 12 for not wanting a Iowa/Nebraska matchup in the Insight.

Washington is not exactly thrilled about a rematch, either. But don't kid yourselves, NE could have (should have) easily avoided the Holiday bowl by not choking against A&M and losing a winnable OK game. Bottom line is Washington did the best they could to get to the Holiday and Nebraska did about the worst they could, going out of the Big 12 by losing about every big rivalry we wanted to win (Texas, Oklahoma). If NE goes into the bowl throwing a hissy fit and feeling sad for themselves and get upset by Washington, it will be well deserved, imho.

I wouldn't be surprised if NU loses this game. Washington isn't great, but they're damn happy to be bowling. NU is confused. Can Pelini and Co focus the kids?

This.

Always hard to beat a team two times in a year. I remember last year or two years ago, the NFL playoffs Wild Card round featured I believe 2 rematches from the very week before. Green Bay destroyed Arizona in a complete rout one week and lost to them in the playoffs the next. Same scenario with the other team but I forget who the teams involved where. Add in that Taylor may not be as healthy/explosive as he was against Washington, and the players on our team feel like we deserve better*, and this is a very interesting/dangerous game from an X's and O's standpoint.

* - This is how teams lose bowl games.

A little about myself .....blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ..... and they deserve your respect.

I already respected them once this year, before I knew much about them. Now they are 6-6. And we blew out by 35 pts. Tell me again why they deserve such respect?

• Fire 1

I wouldn't be surprised if NU loses this game. Washington isn't great, but they're damn happy to be bowling. NU is confused. Can Pelini and Co focus the kids?

This.

Always hard to beat a team two times in a year. I remember last year or two years ago, the NFL playoffs Wild Card round featured I believe 2 rematches from the very week before. Green Bay destroyed Arizona in a complete rout one week and lost to them in the playoffs the next. Same scenario with the other team but I forget who the teams involved where. Add in that Taylor may not be as healthy/explosive as he was against Washington, and the players on our team feel like we deserve better*, and this is a very interesting/dangerous game from an X's and O's standpoint.

* - This is how teams lose bowl games.

I gonna go out on a limb here and say that just maybe the team felt a little like that last year. That didn't work out so well for Arizona now did it??? I feel sorry for Washington, comparing them to the Arizona Cardinals or the Green Bay Packers isn't even close to the same thing. Saying Nebraska is going to lose this game is laughable, outside of our game have you watched Washington play? The only thing about this game that will surprise me is if Washington doesn't just forfeit at halftime. Go Big Red

I would respect them but we beat them by 35 in their own stadium so I'm less than enthusiastic about playing them again. I think the only way we lose is if we are in disarray after our last loss, although that didn't seem to be a problem in our bowl game last year. It definitely goes both ways though and I would be just as disappointed to be playing a team that beat us by 35 in our stadium.

I'm not saying we are going to lose this game! I'm saying don't count them out. Rematches can be tough especially when we are not as healthy as we were then.

Good point last year, but you get the sense this is very deflating for us. Last year, we lost: what can you say? For the loss, that was the appropriate bowl. This year the appropriate bowl passed us over to give us this crappy matchup. If we feel like we own these guys, we'll be in for trouble. Bo will reign it in though.

I'm not saying we are going to lose this game! I'm saying don't count them out. Rematches can be tough especially when we are not as healthy as we were then.

Good point last year, but you get the sense this is very deflating for us. Last year, we lost: what can you say? For the loss, that was the appropriate bowl. This year the appropriate bowl passed us over to give us this crappy matchup. If we feel like we own these guys, we'll be in for trouble. Bo will reign it in though.

I think it's more likely that our guys get pissed off and go out to San Diego to make a point. Washington will be motivated, but they were motivated the last time they played us too.